FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bring back papers and magazines
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:36 pm
chriswiles

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Newspapers and magazines should reappear in lounges now! I understand why they disappeared with the coronavirus pandemic but times have rolled on and they need to be reinstated.
I work in the magazine industry (on the e-commerce side) so if there's anyone who wants the magazines to come back, it would be myself. But, they are an ancient mechanism and a dying market and 20/30-somethings are perplexed 'oldies' are attracted to them when everything is online and mostly free.

I met up with a 25-year-old yesterday in London and we chatted about magazines, without him knowing it's my business. He summed up his opinion of them with "magazines, another example of something that is really confusing and takes up so much shelf space and wastes so much resource to produce. Why do people want these?' or words to a similar effect. In a way, he's right. The resource bit for sure - lots of effort, lots of paper, lots of printing.

They are also expensive. Those magazines in BA's lounges must have cost them a good £xxxx/month to restock each day.

I don't miss seeing the piles of paper and magazines in the lounges, if I'm fair, even if it's my market. And ironically I have a copy of Monocle with me today.