Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring back papers and magazines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Bring back papers and magazines

Newspapers and magazines should reappear in lounges now! I understand why they disappeared with the coronavirus pandemic but times have rolled on and they need to be reinstated.

I used to enjoy picking up a couple and reading them in the lounge and onboard. Press Reader, a tiny picture on my telephone is no substitute! It does of course offer a huge range of magazines and newspapers but it in no substitute for a Daily Mail, Telegraph and The Sun. Reading the same story in three different papers gives one tremendous insight.

Things may be looking up as I have just picked up my first copy of Business Traveller in years

(The sharp-eyed will spot I am not in a BA lounge.)
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:01 am

PressReader gives a far wider choice than was ever available in the past.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Things may be looking up as I have just picked up my first copy of Business Traveller in years
That's the magazine read mostly by leisure travellers who like to give the impression they're a business traveller. I never buy it either.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
I used to stock up with newspapers - first to read in the flight, then to 'reuse' to start fires (in a fireplace!) at home - I found that the Financial Times used to be exceedingly good for the latter!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Do a few LGW flights and you'll have enough newspapers and magazines to last several months...
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by flybymonkey
PressReader gives a far wider choice than was ever available in the past.
But not the Times, for those who like actual news with proper journalism.
tgsh2006 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
There was quite a wide selection of periodicals available in the Departure Lounge of Hamburg last week – although everything was in German language.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Why read yesterday's news on dead trees when you can read the actual news (as well as all the features and columnists) on your digital device?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:37 am

Newspapers and magazines should reappear in lounges now! I understand why they disappeared with the coronavirus pandemic but times have rolled on and they need to be reinstated.

I used to enjoy picking up a couple and reading them in the lounge and onboard. Press Reader, a tiny picture on my telephone is no substitute! It does of course offer a huge range of magazines and newspapers but it in no substitute for a Daily Mail, Telegraph and The Sun. Reading the same story in three different papers gives one tremendous insight.

(The sharp-eyed will spot I am not in a BA lounge.)
if they’re the choice they can keep their newspapers!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:39 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
At the time when physical reading material was in the lounges, the publishers' model was to increase circulation in order to raise advertising revenue - hence they gave everything away.

The reality is that advertising revenues for publishers have collapsed - both for print and online - and so it no longer makes any sense to pay out money for printing without any sort of return. It isn't just airlines that are affected - when was the last time you saw a newspaper in a chain hotel?

The model now, almost exclusively, is to offer a subscription service. PressReader is doing exactly that, and it's very likely BA is actually paying out more than it used to as a result.
Dan72, MaxFlyer, RJD1983 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It does of course offer a huge range of magazines and newspapers but it in no substitute for a Daily Mail, Telegraph and The Sun. Reading the same story in three different papers gives one tremendous insight.
Those three newspapers are hardly going to offer a wide range of viewpoints, though, are they?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Agree with the broad sentiment- bring back papers and bring back Business Traveller!!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Save the trees.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
In this day and age we should aim for paperless.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 12:23 pm

I couldn't agree more, I miss the inkies and there is no good reason not to bring them back, both in the lounge and onboard.
RockyRobin, hungry and mnhusker like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.