Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reported LHR Baggage Issues 19th July / Missing Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reported LHR Baggage Issues 19th July / Missing Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: UA silver; Wyndham platinum; OneKey platinum; Choice Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My choice would have been Jackson Hole, a great airport, all the staff know each other very well, and recovering bags from a small airport has a lot to recommend it, they will go the extra mile. It's also an AA location. One of the most beautiful airports I know, the mountains line up alongside the runway. Also, it does double for some of the year as a ski airport and so they do know about baggage issues there.

Although it's completely irrelevant to OP's post, I feel like posting a photo taken from the JAC terminal building!

I lived in Jackson from 2013-19 and flew in/out of the airport every couple of weeks. JAC is unique as the only commercial airport inside a US National Park (Grand Teton National Park). The high mountain towards the right in the photo is Grand Teton. Grand Teton National Park is just south of Yellowstone (if driving at the speed limit, JAC is about 70 minutes from the south entrance to Yellowstone and about 2 hours 20 minutes from Old Faithful). Taxis do run from JAC to Old Faithful (they cost $300 flat rate when I left in 2019) so it is possible for lost luggage to get to Yellowstone from JAC . Possibly due to being in a National Park and therefore having planning permission issues that don't exist in other places, there's no wimpy nonsense such as jet bridges: everyone gets on and off using stairs, the old-fashioned way and the temperature in winter can drop below -30C.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Last night no transfer bags arrived in MAN on 1406 so primarily just the gate checked bags were delivered. The previous flight were still filling forms in when we came through but it took 40 minutes to be told no bags were coming.

Ive taken 16 short haul flights in the last 2 weeks and checked 2/3 bags on them all (I know, I know). Had 5 missing bags across these:

BHD-LHR-AMS (11th July): 1 hour connection but both bags misconnected as they were sent to domestic reclaim - picked up the next day in LHR.

NCE-LHR-MAN (15th July) : 1 box out of 3 bags didnt make the MAN but likely because I and supposedly my bags moved to the earlier flight (as an aside: once they confirmed me, nobody marked me ready to fly so I was offloaded which someone very helpful noticed just before leaving CCR and had me put back on at about 10 minutes before scheduled departure) - box delivered to work in 4 days.

CPH-LHR-MAN (19th July): 2 bags still in T5C

My question is for domestic (particularly MAN and NCL) why wouldnt BA courrier them from LHR to our addresses? It takes longer and presumably costs more to send the bags via MAN and NCL rather than passing them straight to Eagle but I imagine it isnt that straight forward to extract them.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:27 pm

India call center helpful

I was able to file a missing baggage report just with my trip record locator via India call center (+44 03444930785). As the 1800 number for general BA customer service was not accepting calls all day.

That also filed a worldtracer file.

Within a few hours the worldtracer indicated my bags was found and it started moving again per Smart tag to terminal 2/3 in LHR. The worldtracer text notification indicated my bag is scheduled for a flight to me tonight. However in the BA missing bag report it is still being located.

Fingers crossed on its way to my city now. 🙏🏿
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Luther.e
My question is for domestic (particularly MAN and NCL) why wouldnt BA courrier them from LHR to our addresses? It takes longer and presumably costs more to send the bags via MAN and NCL rather than passing them straight to Eagle but I imagine it isnt that straight forward to extract them.
It depends where your address is. If its in the SE they probably would, but for northern addresses its far more efficient to put them all on a single lorry per station and send them up, rather than hire a fleet of smaller vans with drivers for a selection of addresses.

FWIW the trucks used are normally the ones that carry cargo across the UK and Europe, which means they take AKE/AKH units and can be loaded very quickly at LHR and handled in much the same way that an aircraft is.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Good News

Andy on the GGL line was super helpful and he organised my bags to be found and put on a flight to Edinburgh. Baggage created a manual Worltracer file for me.
The three bags arrived in Edinburgh at 1423.

Bad News

At 1600 they created a second Worldtracer file for the bags, based on last night's email. Whoever filled it in did not enter my email address, missed one digit from my phone number and input my Exec Club number incorrectly. I had given all this information in my email as well as it being in my account. Typical BA IT problems mean that I can change the bag description, but I cannot change this information. They do have my address at least.

Since arriving in Edinburgh I can see that all the bags have become separated. One is offsite near the airport, I think this is where the courier is. The other two are at different places in the terminal building.

One of the Worldtracer files says two of the three bags have been found and the other says that one has been found. Now this could mean that all three have been found, but the one of the tag numbers appears twice and one not at all.

The second Worldtracer file says that I will collect the bags from the airport. Maybe this explains why the bags are in different places. But the associated email that was sent says they will be delivered and the information on the bag says that it has been picked up by a courier to deliver it.

The other two bags in the other file say they were picked up by the same courier but at a different time, so if you believe the info the courier has picked up the same bag twice at different times (One bag actually moved off site three hours before the system says it was picked up) I suspect that in fact they have all three bags, but who knows.

I will give it some time in the morning and if some of the bags are still at the airport I will see if I can go and get them. However, I don't really want to get involved in that considering the general chaos in the baggage area.

Something I will have to do for next time is reconcile the baggage tags with the AirTags as the bags have been separated and it would be useful to compare what the system shows to thee position of the AirTags.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 6:42 am

All three of my bags have appeared home, so a reasonable turnaround.

The reason they didn't all appear to be together was that bizarrely someone at the airport has opened one of the bags and removed the AirTag which is showing as in the short stay carpark at EDI.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
To update, both bags are with Eagle in Slough rather than being flown to MAN (delivery to Nottingham). Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
DocS likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
2 days after my flight, still nothing
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
2 days after my flight, still nothing
Do you have a BA baggage reference and is the information in WorldTracer up to date? If so, there's not much more that you can do.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by golfmad
Do you have a BA baggage reference and is the information in WorldTracer up to date? If so, there's not much more that you can do.
Yes, have done all that.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Luther.e
To update, both bags are with Eagle in Slough rather than being flown to MAN (delivery to Nottingham). Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
Similarly ours seem to be in Slough... in a shed that I assume/hope belongs to a courier. BA advised me they had such a backlog they were returning bags by road (even those of us in Scotland...). Hoping it starts moving North in the coming day or so - and that the location the AirTag is showing is a genuine depot.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by MrALIG
All three of my bags have appeared home, so a reasonable turnaround.

The reason they didn't all appear to be together was that bizarrely someone at the airport has opened one of the bags and removed the AirTag which is showing as in the short stay carpark at EDI.
Did someone steal your AirTag on purpose? Is it still with your bag now or gone?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
July 19 Wednesday BA 167 505 pm departure bags not loaded to TLV
Bags arrived July 21 and delivered on Friday

datapoint
Old Jul 21, 2023, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by samwkchan
Did someone steal your AirTag on purpose? Is it still with your bag now or gone?
Its an odd one. The AirTag has moved since earlier and I think is in a luggage storage area in the terminal building.

It was inside the bag so quite why the bag would have been opened and the AirTag removed I dont know. It appears that the other contents are all there.

But of a hassle to go and try and retrieve it. I might if I have time or I might put in a claim to BA.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by MrALIG
Its an odd one. The AirTag has moved since earlier and I think is in a luggage storage area in the terminal building.

It was inside the bag so quite why the bag would have been opened and the AirTag removed I dont know. It appears that the other contents are all there.

But of a hassle to go and try and retrieve it. I might if I have time or I might put in a claim to BA.
Was the missing AirTag deep inside the bag, or hanged outside the case like a keychain? If it is the latter, it may be torn off and got stuck on something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.