Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reported LHR Baggage Issues 19th July / Missing Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reported LHR Baggage Issues 19th July / Missing Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Reported LHR Baggage Issues 19th July / Missing Baggage - Help

Good evening all (well, good morning)!

An FYI and plea for help….

I’ve heard several people (crew) talk about baggage problems at LHR today with bags not being loaded.

I myself was on BA826 on the 19th, LHR-DUB (direct, not connecting). Like many, I have an AirTag in my bag. As we pushed back, I saw my bag on a map at T5C with its location just updated. I did ask the crew to which they said ‘We spoke to the captain and all bags are loaded, sometimes the AirTags can be wrong’.

Arrived to Dublin and filled in a form with Swissport and got all the necessary paperwork. As the ‘Last Bag’ message showed, there were approx 40 people waiting for bags. I went to Swissport and asked if all bags had in fact been delivered. They checked and confirmed they had. At that point, they said this has happened on every BA flight today arriving into DUB and it looks like a container hadn’t been loaded. Most bags going round the carousel were from earlier flights with ‘Rush’ tags on them.

An announcement and rush was made to Swissport, but luckily I avoided that queue.

I’m flying from Dublin tomorrow afternoon to the US as I embark on a 3 weeks roadtrip. Assuming my bag doesn’t arrive before my next flight (little chance), how far into my trip should I give an address for? I’m staying at a new place each night and will be heading from California up to Yellowstone and Glacier NP which I can imagine are not best served by flights and associated delivery companies.

Regarding purchasing essentials, what am I able to purchase and claim back? I have emergency overnight items, my walking boots, electrical stuff and waterproof jacket.

I’m going to need your basics, like T-shirts, shirts, shorts, underwear etc as well as walking trousers that I had in my checked luggage. Any advice would be appreciated!

UPDATE

I have just received this email from British Airways confirming the issue at LHR today. Do I need to fill in the baggage report with BA as well as the one already done with Swissport?

A message from British Airways about your flight to Dublin

Booking Reference: XXXXX

Dear XXXXCustomers connecting / transferring through Heathrow Airport today

We’re very sorry if your luggage didn’t arrive on the carousel when you landed at your final destination today.

A baggage system failure at Heathrow Airport meant that the airport was unable to transfer your bag and we were therefore unable to load your luggage onto your connecting flight. We don’t underestimate the inconvenience caused by this and we are doing everything we can to get your luggage back to you as soon as possible.

To enable us to do this quickly, please complete a baggage report form online as soon as you can by visitingwww.ba.com/helpmeto ensure we know where to deliver your bag to as soon as we have it. If you can’t complete the form online, our colleagues in the Arrivals Hall will be happy to help.

If you’re out of pocket, we’ll cover the costs for any reasonable essentials while you’re without your luggage. If you need to claim back any essential costs, you can do this at ba.com/delayedbaggage.

Once again, we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused.

British Airways

Last edited by Ryanfozzie; Jul 20, 2023 at 4:08 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 19, 2023, 7:07 pm

Same case with me

Ditto! I also had a connection out of Heathrow Airport terminal 5 today (origin JFK) to Budapest and my baggage was not loaded on my connecting flight in LHR terminal 3. Got the same email but in the email they did not provide a lost baggage report number, So I am unable to file a claim online.

Luckily I will be in the same place for the next 10 days but this is beyond inconvenience. Thank God for air tags (using a Samsung Smart tag myself).
Old Jul 19, 2023, 8:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
‘We spoke to the captain and all bags are loaded, sometimes the AirTags can be wrong’.
Well, as you found out, it's extremely unlikely that an AirTag will report it's position incorrectly. If it's been 'seen' very recently at a particular location it's probably there.

Arrived to Dublin and filled in a form with Swissport and got all the necessary paperwork.
Absolutely the right thing to do. One of the significant advantages of the AirTag is that you can go straight to the baggage services without waiting for all the bags to appear (or not).

I’m flying from Dublin tomorrow afternoon to the US as I embark on a 3 weeks roadtrip. Assuming my bag doesn’t arrive before my next flight (little chance), how far into my trip should I give an address for? I’m staying at a new place each night and will be heading from California up to Yellowstone and Glacier NP which I can imagine are not best served by flights and associated delivery companies.
This is when it gets a little tricky and I have quite a bit of experience with this. I would pick something about 4-5 days out as it's likely to take longer than you might expect for your bags to catch up with you.

Regarding purchasing essentials, what am I able to purchase and claim back? I have emergency overnight items, my walking boots, electrical stuff and waterproof jacket.

I’m going to need your basics, like T-shirts, shirts, shorts, underwear etc as well as walking trousers that I had in my checked luggage. Any advice would be appreciated!
You should claim for whatever is reasonable that you need. All of that sounds reasonable to me. I have never been denied a claim in this regard and when my golf clubs and clothes have gone missing I've claimed for virtually everything, club rental, golf shoes, socks, trousers, glove, balls tees etc. It's all necessary so you should claim for it.

I have just received this email from British Airways confirming the issue at LHR today. Do I need to fill in the baggage report with BA as well as the one already done with Swissport?
No. If you have a report which will in your case start with DUBBA then that's all you need. There's no need for anything else.

Incidentally, I was in the Glacier National Park earlier this month. It's an absolutely terrific place. We stayed in a town called Hungry Horse a few miles from the main park entrance. The small airport there (FCA) at Kalispell might be a good option to be reunited with your luggage. Have fun.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 11:41 pm

This is clearly the Glacier National Park appreciation thread as I was also there last month. Stunning part of the world and relatively challenging to get to given the few flights to Kalispell, MT.

As to the main topic at hand, I have heard the issues have persisted into today, so hoping it’s not a full-scale summer baggage meltdown.
wrp96, golfmad, Ryanfozzie and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 11:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I nearly raised a thread about this yesterday. There was a big baggage failure in LHR - all terminals - yesterday. In fact this has grumbling along for about a week, however it was mainly terminal 1 that was affected (which is where T2 and T3 get processed) as well as T4, whereas T5 hasn't been so badly affected. However that changed yesterday afternoon when specifically the inner and outer sorters both failed in T5, which led to HAL ordering a "pin and drop" system with the ULDs, then at 17:00 hrs the software messaging system - which sends commands within the automated warehouse - also failed, and this was for all terminals. The first problem hits transfers the most, the second failure impacted bags checked in at "Front of House", from landside. T2 and T4 went through a period of no check-in at all. The bags then get collated landside and frankly won't go out that day. It took to 21:20 before service started to resume, the sorter issue was resolved somewhat earlier. So today 20 July all is OK for bags transferring into or checked into LHR. There is a backlog of bags from yesterday afternoon and evening. HAL declared the issue resolved at 22:50 (so last flight) but there will be a backlog for processing today.

If you see a bag stuck in T5C, that's a particular store area for when HAL can't fully process your bags, it's an emergency overflow area. Previously when this sort of thing happens on a medium sized scale, they can empty T5C the next day, so if you have something there, I would expect it to shift today and then for DUB, it should get to DUB today given the service frequency. You can work out further impacts, but the usual 4 day from the incident would seem plausible to me here.

The total limit on any claims is around £1400 but since this one is 101% on HAL, I wonder if that limit would be higher, since the costs of this should be attributed to HAL rather than BA, and HAL is not a party to Montréal. But that's a random musing. Just claim what you need for the period ahead of you, and getting outdoor gear is generally better inside the USA in my experience, the range and quality is much better than anything at Decathlon.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
however it was mainly terminal 1 that was affected (which is where T2 and T3 get processed)
The former T1 system processes T2 departing baggage. T3 has its own system.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Well, as you found out, it's extremely unlikely that an AirTag will report it's position incorrectly. If it's been 'seen' very recently at a particular location it's probably there.

Absolutely the right thing to do. One of the significant advantages of the AirTag is that you can go straight to the baggage services without waiting for all the bags to appear (or not).

This is when it gets a little tricky and I have quite a bit of experience with this. I would pick something about 4-5 days out as it's likely to take longer than you might expect for your bags to catch up with you.

You should claim for whatever is reasonable that you need. All of that sounds reasonable to me. I have never been denied a claim in this regard and when my golf clubs and clothes have gone missing I've claimed for virtually everything, club rental, golf shoes, socks, trousers, glove, balls tees etc. It's all necessary so you should claim for it.

No. If you have a report which will in your case start with DUBBA then that's all you need. There's no need for anything else.

Incidentally, I was in the Glacier National Park earlier this month. It's an absolutely terrific place. We stayed in a town called Hungry Horse a few miles from the main park entrance. The small airport there (FCA) at Kalispell might be a good option to be reunited with your luggage. Have fun.
I nearly raised a thread about this yesterday. There was a big baggage failure in LHR - all terminals - yesterday. In fact this has grumbling along for about a week, however it was mainly terminal 1 that was affected (which is where T2 and T3 get processed) as well as T4, whereas T5 hasn't been so badly affected. However that changed yesterday afternoon when specifically the inner and outer sorters both failed in T5, which led to HAL ordering a "pin and drop" system with the ULDs, then at 17:00 hrs the software messaging system - which sends commands within the automated warehouse - also failed, and this was for all terminals. The first problem hits transfers the most, the second failure impacted bags checked in at "Front of House", from landside. T2 and T4 went through a period of no check-in at all. The bags then get collated landside and frankly won't go out that day. It took to 21:20 before service started to resume, the sorter issue was resolved somewhat earlier. So today 20 July all is OK for bags transferring into or checked into LHR. There is a backlog of bags from yesterday afternoon and evening. HAL declared the issue resolved at 22:50 (so last flight) but there will be a backlog for processing today.

If you see a bag stuck in T5C, that's a particular store area for when HAL can't fully process your bags, it's an emergency overflow area. Previously when this sort of thing happens on a medium sized scale, they can empty T5C the next day, so if you have something there, I would expect it to shift today and then for DUB, it should get to DUB today given the service frequency. You can work out further impacts, but the usual 4 day from the incident would seem plausible to me here.

The total limit on any claims is around £1400 but since this one is 101% on HAL, I wonder if that limit would be higher, since the costs of this should be attributed to HAL rather than BA, and HAL is not a party to Montréal. But that's a random musing. Just claim what you need for the period ahead of you, and getting outdoor gear is generally better inside the USA in my experience, the range and quality is much better than anything at Decathlon.
Good morning and thank you both! For confirming I did everything right and explaining what happend.

I can understand why, but I'm pretty miffed that the pilot lied (this is assuming he did know), but then I'd be concerend if they didn't (assuming they need to know the aircraft weight for various calculations). My bag pinned 1 minute ago in the T5C area which means it will miss BA828 to Dublin. Last chance for me will be BA834 to Dublin departing Heathrow at 10:40 - so I will move onto the baggage will join me in X days plan.

My trip is as follows:

20th-21th: Sacramento
21st-22nd: Winnemucca
22nd-23rd: Burley (Approx 2 hours from Boise Airport). Is this too optimistic to provide this address?
23rd-24th: Ashton (Small hamlet in the Yellowstone area)
24th-25th: Gardiner (North of Yellowstone)
25th-26th: Jackson (Has an airport)

Just wondering on what the concensus should be on which address I should provide? At the same time, lets say I provide address 1 and things haven't moved quick enough and I will miss my bag. Can I keep updating my address?

My clothing I had was a mixture of Jack & Jones and Hugo Boss (a 3 pack from Amazon for £30 haha)! Is it reasonable to purchase 'essentials' of a similar mid range quality? I'm thinking Old Navy which IIRC is the same as Gap. Regarding my walking trousers, these were circa £100 (fully waterproof and with zip off legs). I really want something similar for the trip - would you consider this to also be 'reasonable'? Any suggestions for what sort of shop would be right?

Anyway, thank you all so much. I've calmed down now!
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:17 am

Old Navy stuff is cheaper than the Gap.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

That's what I call insight
jerrychuang likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Also fell victim to these issues yesterday - 1/3 bags didn't arrive into EDI. Can see it is in now at EDI from an AirTag though which is something. Tracking number provided doesn't work on either the BA or the website provided by the handler though and zero help by phone this am.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:03 am

proceed without missing baggage report number

Going to go back to the budapest airport today but wondering how I can proceed without a missing baggage report number?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’d purchase the quality you need and had with the understanding that you will likely be limited to the $1500 Montreal convention. If you have travel insurance or used a cc with travel insurance to book your ticket, then you can make additional claims through cc to cover some costs exceeding $1500. Get the same pants you packed (or similar) etc.

In 2019 we had a 3 week trip: the Bernese Oberland (PHL-ZRH), then Nice (GVA-NCE), then Venice and return home (VCE-EWR). All different tickets/airlines, none of which were BA (but the outbound was AA and that’s where one bag went missing). We stay between 4-7 nights in each place. Bag never made it to Wengen (I think bc no super convenient airport), but then never made it to Nice or Venice either. Bag permanently lost and I think the reason was bc they kept trying to chase us down. We didn’t have AirTags back then so I don’t know where the bag was though AA suggested it was moving around Europe in pursuit of us. I mention this bc I would definitely give them as much time as reasonable and as big an airport and access to you as possible.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jul 24, 2023 at 6:41 am
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:04 am

Programs: BA GfL
I connected from SFO to EDI yesterday and none of our bags made it. The connection was over two hours.

The bags are also Airtagged and I could see them still at T5.

Was directed to the Menzies desk in Edinburgh. No one there at 630 in the afternoon. Bags all over the place in the carousel area. The Menzies desk is outside the security doors which doesn't exactly help as if your bags appeared late and you had gone to the desk you wouldn't be able to get to them.

Called the GGL line who then claimed the bags weren't tagged to me, even though when I checked in I tagged them to myself. The tags only have last names on them so I cannot see who they are tagged to, the tags are attached to my boarding pass. Eventually they told me what I knew which is they were at T5. Asked me to fill in the BA baggage portal claim.

Tried multiple times and the baggage portal would not accept the claim. I suspect due to my booking showing the Edinburgh flight twice due to a messed up change BA made previously.

Called GGL again and was asked to send an email to the priority email address.

At 2.09am this morning got an email regarding baggage problems at LHR, 8 hours after we landed in Edinburgh. The BA website says that if your baggage does not make your flight you will get an email or text to inform you, does this actually work?

Further to the above comments, everyone was on the aircraft and they said they were just loading the last of the bags, I could hear them still loading bags then closing the door. I don't know if they just sent flights off without bags to avoid delays. We were not the only bags that did not make the flight.

No response from priority email this morning. Just called GGL and they say no one is on emails until noon.

I would quite happily fill out the form on line myself if I could, I do not know if the lack of filling it out is delaying my bags, but I can see they are still at T5 currently, I can see they are in the T5C holding area. (Having just spoke to the GGL line the bags won't be sent until the claim is made and the form won't let me make the claim.)

Not the end of the world as we are at home, but we had been away for 24 days so a lot of our clothes are in those bags, as well as electric toothbrushes, shavers etc.

GGL guy being extremely helpful this morning. I and he have tried filling out the claim form again this morning and it won't work. He tried the baggage people multiple times and cannot get them to answer the phone.

If they don't appear by tomorrow morning presumably I can start replacing the toothbrushes and shaver as these are the items I do not have spares of to use at home.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:24 am

Programs: BA GfL
Just got a call back.

They got a guy on the phone in baggage and he made a manual claim I can only see one bag in this, but hopefully they have details of all three.

Apparently they have 100 containers waiting to be sent out in LHR.

They said they would look for my bags and request that they be flown to Edinburgh. Normal service for Edinburgh is to send them by road.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We also had a connection yesterday in T5. SEA to DUB. We only had about 90 mins as the flight from SEA was about 25 mins late. 1 bag made to DUB with us on BA830.
I can see from the Samsung tags (and from the tracking on the BA baggage claim) that 4 of the bags made it to DUB this morning on BA828, but 1 bag is still showing in T5A and has no tracking info on the BA baggage claim. Hopefully it will get moving soon.
I wonder if they will wait for all 5 bags in DUB before they deliver to me, or will they send the 4 they have got today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.