Wiki Posts
Search

New credit card system says no

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
New credit card system says no

I wonder if anyone else is having this problem. Randomly, the BA system doesn't register numbers when I have to input them for the credit card. I can't tell whether it is their system or my phone. Today, I was left high and dry by the BA call center person who told me that I would have to find another phone to call on because they had no way around it (despite me telling them that I had done it manually in the past). I am not sure if he thinks that we all carry spare landline phones on our person but I don't.

Anyone else having issues?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Do you hear the DTMF tones when you press the number on your keypad?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Possibly a stupid question, but are you on speaker when you're entering the digits? I've had one agent tell me that the new system won't work if you are - only on one occasion though, so I'm not sure that all of them know this either...
stifle likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I still have this problem when I am abroad although I think it is an issue with me/my mobile provider. I tried everything including using Skype and in the end I had to get a nominee to complete the payment for me last time it happened.

No idea how to solve it. I can hear the tones at my end, not on speakerphone etc.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Do you hear the DTMF tones when you press the number on your keypad?
Yes that is the weird thing.

Originally Posted by JustTheOne
Possibly a stupid question, but are you on speaker when you're entering the digits? I've had one agent tell me that the new system won't work if you are - only on one occasion though, so I'm not sure that all of them know this either...
Indeed they warned me of that too and I am not on speaker. But they also say Skype doesn't work but it has for me on other occasions.

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I still have this problem when I am abroad although I think it is an issue with me/my mobile provider. I tried everything including using Skype and in the end I had to get a nominee to complete the payment for me last time it happened.
Yes they suggested that and I almost swore at them. Ludicrous.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Problem solved...for now. I rang out of hours and got through to India where taking payment details is still manual.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's Skype which I know doesn't work for me, and I know that BA's technology is shared with a financial company that I have some dealings with. In that case it's not credit card details but it still doesn't work on Skype. The key point being is that the hardware (handset) I'm using stays the same on landline or G4, and then works fine.

I do wonder whether this sort of technology will be a step too far for perhaps frail customers or those with other disabilities. I recognise the improved security it brings.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Great point. I know my mother in law (84) could not do any of this. So they would just leave her stranded?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:17 pm

I've used it over the years with different airlines, Turkish Airlines and Singapore Airlines are two that immediately spring to mind. It's very temperamental (especially with Skype as C-W-S says!) and certainly Singapore Airlines were able to handle your details manually if needs be. The one time with Turkish that sticks in my mind was when it wasn't working and the guy decided to try it in another language. Sent me off to German which I have never studied even at GCSE. Keyed in the details in the same order as before hoping I was doing it correctly and much to mine and his surprise it worked !
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Dankeschoen. I will suggest that next time 😀
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
I have had the same problem with TK before. Using VOIP systems such as Skype makes it worse. I have different VOIP apps and VOIP phones. Sometimes the app will work when the physical phone does not. It is infuriating when you have just got through a complex booking only to be unable to pay.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's Skype which I know doesn't work for me, and I know that BA's technology is shared with a financial company that I have some dealings with. In that case it's not credit card details but it still doesn't work on Skype. The key point being is that the hardware (handset) I'm using stays the same on landline or G4, and then works fine.

I do wonder whether this sort of technology will be a step too far for perhaps frail customers or those with other disabilities. I recognise the improved security it brings.
Telecommunications is my field, and its not uncommon for our business to get involved in such issues. With the transition from TDM technology to IP telephony in the core networks this is quite prevalent at the moment due to some systems carrying key presses in the form of messages (3 is now pressed, 3 is no longer pressed) or others in the old way transmitting an audio tone (dtmf) to represent the key press. Every time these system inter work there is danger that it is not being done properly and these days they often switch backward and forward several times in the call path.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:05 am

I seem to encounter this problem with a lot of service providers... even simple ones where I must "press 1 for this" or "press 2 for that". Maybe I'm imagining it, but it does seem like keeping each digit pressed for a long time (eg over a second) helps. This is on an iPhone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.