FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New credit card system says no
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:19 pm
LimitingFactor

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's Skype which I know doesn't work for me, and I know that BA's technology is shared with a financial company that I have some dealings with. In that case it's not credit card details but it still doesn't work on Skype. The key point being is that the hardware (handset) I'm using stays the same on landline or G4, and then works fine.

I do wonder whether this sort of technology will be a step too far for perhaps frail customers or those with other disabilities. I recognise the improved security it brings.
Telecommunications is my field, and it’s not uncommon for our business to get involved in such issues. With the transition from TDM technology to IP telephony in the core networks this is quite prevalent at the moment due to some systems carrying key presses in the form of messages (3 is now pressed, 3 is no longer pressed) or others in the old way transmitting an audio tone (dtmf) to represent the key press. Every time these system inter work there is danger that it is not being done properly and these days they often switch backward and forward several times in the call path.