Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cabin crew member arrested at LGW for being 'drunk and under influence'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cabin crew member arrested at LGW for being 'drunk and under influence'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
No one can draw any conclusions. But you can start from the idea the authorities are wasting time, or you can start from the idea that they're probably doing their job correctly. I recommend the second, it's far less likely to lead to hypertension.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I am just wondering why they could not wait until pax have left and what the concern was to have police onboard immediately despite everybody knowing thatll look really bad.
Maybe they thought she'd just scarper if they pulled up to jetbridge and opened the door to allow pax to disembark.

She might have reckoned she'd nothing to lose by doing a disappearing act.
Coffeemadman likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ Coffeemadman : Its pretty clear that you have no more evidence than I do ; which means that any conclusions you yourself draw at this stage are no more reliable than - and could be every bit as misguided and / or erroneous as - my own could potentially be.

Ive said as much as I wish to say on this thread and will now leave you to continue to make whatever personal jibes you see fit, such as telling me how foolish (just slightly, apparently ) I should be prepared to look ; not to mention you kindly informing me that the police and airport do not owe you any explanation as to why it took an hour ; which is fine, given that at no point have I remotely suggested that they owe me such an explanation. But I certainly value my freedom to debate their performance - including the freedom to praise or criticise.

Will just add in closing that I always feel it preferable to discuss the actual topic and circumstances surrounding it, and to avoid directly attacking other FT members (in the personal way you have done), merely for having expressed a view / perspective which happens to be at odds with your own.
Well I will leave it at that then, only suffice to say that if you felt I was personally attacking you (or others) it was not my intention to do so, and if that's the case I apologise for that.
Silver Fox, ttama and Gallus1 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:48 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
I do not see how this particular incident demonstrates that. If it takes an hour to do what needs to be done, it takes an hour. The crew was suspected of being drunk and on Class A drugs while in the air. That is a top priority for the rest of the crew, the airline, the airport, the police and actually the rest of the passengers. So yes, the time this particular plane landed/disembarked was, rightly so, at the bottom of the priority list.
How in any way is the arrest of a CC member the "top priority" for any of the pax on board? You think they want to witness an arrest.....or get home to their loved one or maybe catch on onward connection or train?

Hardly in BA's interest either....to have a CC member arrested for a failed D&A in front of 180 of their customers
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Coffemadman - well, I did say I was done with the thread, but I simply must come back briefly - and with good reason.

I always have huge respect for anyone who (especially when tensions can inevitably rise in the ‘heat’ of certain threads) offers an unqualified apology in the way you kindly have done. And so I happily and gracefully accept your apology, thank you.

And with that ….. I really am done !
ttama, Coffeemadman and Gallus1 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Who knew so much could be said by so many who know so little 😀
NickB, BOH, SKT-DK and 19 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Someone would assume that the captain requested police to take a breathalyzer test?

I am just wondering why they could not wait until pax have left and what the concern was to have police onboard immediately despite everybody knowing that’ll look really bad.

In any case a new cabin crew position will likely have opened up.
The Captain would not have requested that anyone was breathalysed, that is entirely down to the police how they go about their duties and evidence collection. The Captain, suspecting an intoxicated crew member would have asked to be met by the police, they take it from there, and deal with it, including releasing other passengers who are all potential witnesses, from whom statements may well need to be taken before they disappear.
Jimmie76, Lynyrd, golfmad and 8 others like this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 30, 2023 at 9:06 am Reason: Removal of comment unrelated to the topic and very likely to spark an unnecessary side-discussion
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
How in any way is the arrest of a CC member the "top priority" for any of the pax on board? You think they want to witness an arrest.....or get home to their loved one or maybe catch on onward connection or train?

Hardly in BA's interest either....to have a CC member arrested for a failed D&A in front of 180 of their customers
I've said pretty much everything I can on this thread so I'll bow out, but I do owe you a clarification on that part (as I can see how you've understood it).

What I meant by that is that, as a passenger, I would not want a cabin crew high on Class A drugs to be able to do it again, and if it requires extra time to ensure that this is prevented then it is in my interest for safety reasons.
BOH, wrp96, ttama and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
What happens in these circumstances? Does the captain upon noticing insist that they stop service or do they not reveal that theyre going to be arrested on landing? I cant see how they could allow them to continue service for safety reasons and if they were obviously drunk/high then it wouldnt look good to the passengers. On the other hand if they know theyre going to get arrested upon landing they might try something stupid (like trying to escape through the emergency exit)
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:02 am
BOH

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Maybe they thought she'd just scarper if they pulled up to jetbridge and opened the door to allow pax to disembark.

She might have reckoned she'd nothing to lose by doing a disappearing act.
Scarper to where exactly? Leg it across active taxiways and / or a runway?

I'm joking, there may be lots of ramp related furniture to hide in or alongside (stairs, baggage carts), maybe even jump on a baggage cart to the terminal or perhaps hide in the aircraft hold for a short while and then jump on a bus to the terminal that comes to collect pax from an aircraft that arrives alongside a bit later. The more I think about it, the more I can see the possibilities. Every minute delay will count to reducing any alcohol in the system before the test
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by SaveECRewards
What happens in these circumstances? Does the captain upon noticing insist that they stop service or do they not reveal that theyre going to be arrested on landing? I cant see how they could allow them to continue service for safety reasons and if they were obviously drunk/high then it wouldnt look good to the passengers. On the other hand if they know theyre going to get arrested upon landing they might try something stupid (like trying to escape through the emergency exit)
The Captains only duty in this case is to the safety of the passengers and other crew. the suspected - and that is all they are at this stage crew member should be stood down from duty immediately. They cannot be allowed to operate any equipment, in the same way a passenger wouldnt be allowed to operate a door etc

Its not a time for subterfuge or subtlety, and would be horrific for all involved. Suspicion is not proof but you would have to take steps to ensure safety and imagine if you were wrong and they were innocent - its not a pleasant experience for any one, either accuser or accused.

As for them doing a runner, thats not the problem of the crew.
Jimmie76, BOH, wrp96 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Jan 30, 2023 at 9:08 am
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BOH

I'm joking, there may be lots of ramp related furniture to hide in or alongside (stairs, baggage carts), maybe even jump on a baggage cart to the terminal or perhaps hide in the aircraft hold for a short while and then jump on a bus to the terminal that comes to collect pax from an aircraft that arrives alongside a bit later. The more I think about it, the more I can see the possibilities. Every minute delay will count to reducing any alcohol in the system before the test
Images of the cabin crew member from JetBlue opening the door and sliding down the emergency slide come to mind.
BOH likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Which part of "Maybe they thought she'd just scarper if they pulled up to jetbridge and opened the door to allow pax to disembark" led you to imagine the Steven Slater incident?

Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
The Captain would not have requested that anyone was breathalysed, that is entirely down to the police how they go about their duties and evidence collection. The Captain, suspecting an intoxicated crew member would have asked to be met by the police, they take it from there, and deal with it, including releasing other passengers who are all potential witnesses, from whom statements may well need to be taken before they disappear.
I was held along with a few other people on a train when some nut job decided to vandalise the train. This was a few years ago now, the BTP (British Transport Police) boarded the train carriage I was in and asked us all to remain seated. The culprit was identified, cuffed and removed from the train whilst an officer went round asking people what they saw. When he reached me I said I was sorry but asleep for most of the journey and he moved on. Once everyone had been spoken to we were allowed to leave.
Waterhorse and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:30 am
BOH

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Which part of "Maybe they thought she'd just scarper if they pulled up to jetbridge and opened the door to allow pax to disembark" led you to imagine the Steven Slater incident?

Just read it....it's quite a story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.