Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cabin crew member arrested at LGW for being 'drunk and under influence'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA cabin crew member arrested at LGW for being 'drunk and under influence'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by silonic
if only there was a way of attracting international cheap labour to help fill the open vacancies.
Or pay more? The problem is, we demand cheap flights (I know people who think £50 to Italy is expensive for a flight, but then go fill their car up with £70 of petrol each week...), but with rising living costs, airlines can't raise prices to help pay for employee costs. The 'solution' isn't to hire cheap labour either.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:46 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Or pay more? The problem is, we demand cheap flights (I know people who think £50 to Italy is expensive for a flight, but then go fill their car up with £70 of petrol each week...), but with rising living costs, airlines can't raise prices to help pay for employee costs. The 'solution' isn't to hire cheap labour either.
Sounds like a recipe for inflation? Did you live through the 70s of hyper inflation, caused by endless rounds of paying people more......so companies put their prices up which in turn meant employees sought even higher pay and subsequently higher prices. UK inflation hit some 25% a few decades ago by this endless spiral.

I'm not saying low pay is good BTW, am saying that the economy is a balance and you can't just raise input costs (wages) on the supply side and expect no effect on the demand (prices) side.
Keystone and ttama like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BOH
Sounds like a recipe for inflation? Did you live through the 70s of hyper inflation, caused by endless rounds of paying people more......so companies put their prices up which in turn meant employees sought even higher pay and subsequently higher prices. UK inflation hit some 25% a few decades ago by this endless spiral..
If you want to experience real inflation come and live here.
BOH, T8191, alex67500 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by BOH
Sounds like a recipe for inflation? Did you live through the 70s of hyper inflation, caused by endless rounds of paying people more......so companies put their prices up which in turn meant employees sought even higher pay and subsequently higher prices. UK inflation hit some 25% a few decades ago by this endless spiral.

I'm not saying low pay is good BTW, am saying that the economy is a balance and you can't just raise input costs (wages) on the supply side and expect no effect on the demand (prices) side.
Inflation led rises for Pensioners don't seem to be a problem for the Government. Absolutely nothing to do with older people voting...
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Refer instead to the “Air Navigation Order”, which is clear this is a criminal offence.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ticle/139/made

Drunkenness in aircraft

139.—(1) A person must not enter any aircraft when drunk, or be drunk in any aircraft.

(2) A person must not, when acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft or being carried in any aircraft for the purpose of acting as a member of the crew, be under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to impair their capacity so to act.
Whilst the ANO does indeed say that, the R&TSA2003 added prescribed limits for aircrew. So in short, it is easier to prove. You have a forensic sample from the crewmember that is sent off and you basically charge if over the limit.

Similar to the 2 main drink drive offences. The commonly known one is S5 RTA 1988- driving a motor vehicle whilst over the prescribed limit. There is also S4 RTA which is being in charge of a vehicle whilst unfit through drink or drugs.

S4 does not rely on a forensic sample, as you are not trying to prove they are over a set limit, neither will the ANO. They will rely on witness testimony that a person was unfit. This is why I would prefer any potential witnesses to still be there upon my arrival as I'd need to get their contact details in case I needed a statement from them in due course.

The UK now has a further drug driving offence S5a RTA 1988- driving whilst over a specified drug limit. Basically we take a saliva test at the roadside that looks like a covid test, if it indicates drugs you get locked up and a blood specimen taken. If over, you get a summons in the post.

So, if a member of aircrew is arrssted for in essence, drunk flying, they will be taken to the nick. The issue then is that whilst there is a limit of alcohol set in law, which is 9ug/100ml of breath, (compared to 35ug as a motorist) the station intoxilyzer instruments are not type approved for this lower level and as such the police will opt to take blood instead. This will be taken by a police nurse and sent to a lab for analysis. Again, if over the air crew will get a summons.

The limit for ATC is also 9ug and for licensed AMEs 35ug, the same as a motorist.

I would also want a brief statement from the aircraft commander to confirm the crew member was indeed on duty and performing the role as a crew member. If it was the captain I arrested, I would want an MG11 from the FO to confirm the same.

For reference, 1 pint of normal strength lager would put an average person in or around the limit for aircrew whereas it would get you nowhere near the limit to drive. It varies massively though on what you have eaten, particularly how much fatty food and how accustomed you are to booze.

Last edited by Lynyrd; Feb 1, 2023 at 12:41 am
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Who knew so much could be said by so many who know so little 😀
This sums almost entire user base of social media, insta, twitter etc
Lynyrd, T8191 and Trident 3B like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.