Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 269 Jan 17 disarms doors while taxiing to avoid UK261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 269 Jan 17 disarms doors while taxiing to avoid UK261

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Palal
I recall that BA (and a few others) regularly arm doors once the aircraft starts movement and disarm before it comes to a stop at the stand.
Yes generally on BA, the senior cabin crew member will issue the doors to automatic (all types save A350/380 where it is doors to armed to align with Airbus naming conventions / procedures) PA when the aircraft commences pushback. I have seen this done on stand before - normally when there is expected to be a short taxi, in which case the crew will verify the a/c is clear of ground equipment (ie steps gone at the back etc) and then the sccm will make this call.

On arrival, generally on the turn into the relevant parking stand, I expect when they know parking is assured (ie they can see guidance switched on, ground equipment is positioned safely etc - ie so they wont have to stop short) the flight deck - generally the Pilot Monitoring / Pilot Not Flying - will give the doors to manual (disarmed on A350/380) PA.

The crew will then make the necessary door mode selection, verify (crosscheck - generally with their opposite door - NB this does NOT involve opening the door to check that you armed it correctly!) and standby for an All Stations intercom call from the SCCM (I think on the A350 its called an all crew conference call or something but same difference). Generally from a passengers perspective you will hear a high-low chime (literally ding dong!) (on the 350/380 it might be a tri-tone, Ive only surmised this from observation but I think the SCCM can make a priority call which will be a tri-tone, i believe a double high-low chime is a call from the flight deck) and each set of door pairs will confirm, ie 2 left and right automatic and cross checked. The SCCM can often also see this on the display by the doors.

I think the above is generally the position!!
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
(crosscheck - generally with their opposite door - NB this does NOT involve opening the door to check that you armed it correctly!)
Door arming and escape slide system pre-flight functional test carried out satis...
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
I dont think I like our highly litigious, compensation focused world
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Yes generally on BA,

The crew will then make the necessary door mode selection, verify (crosscheck - generally with their opposite door - NB this does NOT involve opening the door to check that you armed it correctly!)
I am stunned that it took 30 comments before BA075 was made mention of in this thread!😂 😂
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SxMan
I dont think I like our highly litigious, compensation focused world
There shouldn't be a need to be litigious - the airlines shouldn't try denying valid claims
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
They haven't denied the claim - the OP was being a little paranoid. In my experience claims are being dealt with fairly, and I've had a few of them recently.
argonath and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bisonrav
They haven't denied the claim - the OP was being a little paranoid. In my experience claims are being dealt with fairly, and I've had a few of them recently.
There have been numerous reports of spurious denials - my comment was not referring to this claim but simply to the complaint about people litigating
Old Jan 19, 2023, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There have been numerous reports of spurious denials - my comment was not referring to this claim but simply to the complaint about people litigating
Yes, from reading this board I was initially shocked to see the brazen batting off of clearly legitimate claims. Its a game to them to obviously lower cost and the bottom line. BA hate this legislation as do other airlines but some of the games they play really do leave a bitter taste in the mouth given how other front line staffing groups try and go out of their way to make things better on the day and deliver for customers. It only takes this dept to seemingly undo all of that.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:01 am

It has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread but I just wanted to add to and magnify the point that as flight crew we do not care one iota about EU261. If we are 2:59 late or 3:01 late, it is completely irrelevant to us. Our remit is purely and simply the safe and efficient operation of the aircraft. There have been zero communications from the company about this to us and would be ignored by most anyway, it would also likely generate a flurry of protests and reports to the authority about financial pressure being put ahead of safety. Ask any of my cabin crew colleagues and they will (happily) tell you how prickly pilots can be if they feel they are being put upon by der managment, as a group we would simply not adopt such a procedure without making a huge stink.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:59 pm

Location: Mainly East but sometimes South and occasionally West
Programs: BA Silver
The aircraft has various sensors connected to the parking brake, undercarriage and doors. The traditional times recorded are known as OOOI. Out is the time of the next parking brake release after all doors closed, Off is when the undercarriage decompresses/extended at take off, On is the undercarriage compressing on touchdown, in is the last application of parking brake before the first door (any) is opened. The aircraft also records first pax and cargo door opening and last pax and cargo door closing.
These are all sent automatically and independent of pilot input.
Nowhere is door arming/disarming recorded.
As has been mentioned, the pilots call for doors to be placed to manual/disarmed on the final run in to the stand after the last turn to align. Any perceived delay could be because the aircraft is unable to park and has to hold short due to guidance failure or that the aircraft has parked and there is a delay attaching the jetty. Also at some airports the aircraft has to be shutdown and towed onto stand and it is conceivable that doors could be disarmed at this stage.
Finally, as has been mentioned, pilots are not on a mission to deny compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.