FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA 269 Jan 17 disarms doors while taxiing to avoid UK261
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:10 am
IAMORGAN

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Palal
I recall that BA (and a few others) regularly arm doors once the aircraft starts movement and disarm before it comes to a stop at the stand.
Yes generally on BA, the senior cabin crew member will issue the doors to automatic (all types save A350/380 where it is doors to armed to align with Airbus naming conventions / procedures) PA when the aircraft commences pushback. I have seen this done on stand before - normally when there is expected to be a short taxi, in which case the crew will verify the a/c is clear of ground equipment (ie steps gone at the back etc) and then the sccm will make this call.

On arrival, generally on the turn into the relevant parking stand, I expect when they know parking is assured (ie they can see guidance switched on, ground equipment is positioned safely etc - ie so they won’t have to stop short) the flight deck - generally the Pilot Monitoring / Pilot Not Flying - will give the doors to manual (disarmed on A350/380) PA.

The crew will then make the necessary door mode selection, verify (crosscheck - generally with their opposite door - NB this does NOT involve opening the door to check that you armed it correctly!) and standby for an All Stations intercom call from the SCCM (I think on the A350 it’s called an all crew conference call or something but same difference). Generally from a passenger’s perspective you will hear a high-low chime (literally “ding dong”!) (on the 350/380 it might be a tri-tone, I’ve only surmised this from observation but I think the SCCM can make a priority call which will be a tri-tone, i believe a double high-low chime is a call from the flight deck) and each set of door pairs will confirm, ie “2 left and right automatic and cross checked”. The SCCM can often also see this on the display by the doors.

I think the above is generally the position!!