Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you pick BA to fly economy Boston-LHR (no status)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you pick BA to fly economy Boston-LHR (no status)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The daytime flight is a nice way to travel in Economy and a reason to pick BA here.

On the overnight flights, you have some options. My no status option on the overnight is United. 2x3x2 in a 767 is a comfortable way across the Atlantic, and the flight leaves late from Boston which helps with being able to fall asleep right away.
GoBob and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ericcheung
The daytime flight is a nice way to travel in Economy and a reason to pick BA here.

On the overnight flights, you have some options. My no status option on the overnight is United. 2x3x2 in a 767 is a comfortable way across the Atlantic, and the flight leaves late from Boston which helps with being able to fall asleep right away.
Just saw what time the BA day flight departs at.....no thanks!!

Your United 2-3-2 config 767 would do me.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold
An important consideration is the passports you hold and hence how long you're willing to spend in the immigration queue on arrival in Boston. If you're not US citizens/green card holders and if you're arriving in BOS on a date/time at which the immigration queues may be long, it may be worth doing EI LHR/DUB/BOS because that enables you to clear US immigration in Dublin before the DUB/BOS flight. Hence on arrival in BOS, it's treated as a domestic arrival so you're straight off the plane without then queueing at immigration. If, however, you are US citizens or green card holders, the above isn't relevant.
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Having done BOS-LHR 5x last year in a mix of J/PY/Y I’d personally go for VS on the eastbound (2-4-2 A330-900neo or -300, UK261 protections, and 10pm departure is late enough to get some sleep — as much as I like the JetBlue product their BOS-LHR departs at 5pm which is a no-go for me).

That leaves VS and DL as the options westbound as well (since I’m guessing a round trip would be significantly cheaper than 2 one ways on different airlines) — both are A330s currently but am personally a fan of the VS11 timing (late afternoon departure from LHR, evening arrival in BOS and straight to bed, plus it has the added benefit of arriving 10 min before the BA flight and 20 min before UA, so every single time I’ve taken it in 2022 I’ve walked into an empty immigration hall), although if looking to maximise time in BOS then the DL early departure may be better.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If there is a nonstop day flight, it is a no brainer here, even at higher cost. Or even connecting in NYC to other day flights, if possible.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
If there is a nonstop day flight, it is a no brainer here, even at higher cost. Or even connecting in NYC to other day flights, if possible.
BA offers a daytime flight ex-BOS. I have one booked for later this year.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:59 pm

Definitely the day flight regardless of absolutely everything else.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I don't understand why people get excited about the day flight unless you're a genuine early bird.
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by frb98mf
The daytime flight from BOS would also be fairly bearable in econ, barely 6h usually, worth bearing in mind.
I have taken this flight before and would highly recommend it. So even if no status I would still fly BA.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:38 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I don't understand why people get excited about the day flight unless you're a genuine early bird.
If you can't easily sleep on planes, it saves you from a night of no sleep ruining the first day of your trip. .
Joeykins, Cymro, Lefly and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
If you think it's tough being a night owl on the day flight from BOS, try being a night owl and landing in Heathrow at 5.55 a.m. on the JetBlue flight (00:55 BOS time, with a whole day ahead of you).

If you're a little tired on the day flight, due to the early start, you can still land in Heathrow, have a late dinner, and go to bed late-ish (1 a.m.), then sleep through until 9 a.m. and have a decent night's sleep with much less jet-lag than if you've been dragged off the plane at your normal bedtime and been essentially "forced" to stay awake for another 12-15 hours.
so152so14, ppp909, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I might also consider jetblue.

regards

tbs
If anyone in that group is a Veteran, they can sign up for VetRewards, call Jetblue and book with a 5% discount and get 2 free checked bags for each passenger.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:03 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- the fact that European airlines, including BA and VS. have EC261 and USA airlnes do not.
Would want to dispute that statement. US airlines flying out of Europe and the UK are subject to the same 261 compensation policies as everyone else.

No airline, whether American or not, has compensation for cancellations and delays of flights originating in the US.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Would want to dispute that statement. US airlines flying out of Europe and the UK are subject to the same 261 compensation policies as everyone else.

No airline, whether American or not, has compensation for cancellations and delays of flights originating in the US.
Sorry but EU/UK airlines are always subject to the regulation. US only if originating from Europe.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:12 am
Suspended

I received €1200 comp from IcelandAir for a cancelled flight out of Boston

US travellers are protected if the flight originates OR terminates in EC261 territory on a Euro airline.

(I was not however, protected against the rapid decline in the Euro resulting in a significantly smaller USD amount deposited in my bank account after the 3 months of processing time
for my claim).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.