Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you pick BA to fly economy Boston-LHR (no status)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Varies

Given the choice, if flying Economy with no airline status, would you pick BA to fly Boston-LHR return? I can see that most other airlines on that route (Virgin, Delta, United, not sure about AA) allow advance seat selection at no additional cost, and BA don't. Would that put you off flying BA, if you were flying as a family (all adults) and the cost of the flights was similar?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Depends, what's the price once you include the seat selection compared to other airlines? Also, how fussed are you about which seats? Paid seat selection opens up more options than when it's a free for all.
BlueThroughCrimp, ttama and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTmex
Depends, what's the price once you include the seat selection compared to other airlines? Also, how fussed are you about which seats? Paid seat selection opens up more options than when it's a free for all.
Interesting point. It's not for me, I'm trying to advise family who're travelling. They haven't flown transatlantic for a long time, and have a folk memory of BA being a much nicer airline. I've pointed out the different policies on seat selection but hadn't considered that paying for seat selection might actually give you a better outcome.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
The cheapest AA fares do not allow non-status passengers to select seats for free either.
ttama, LCSinTexas, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I'd go for the cheapest that gave me the options I need incl baggage, seats and schedule in all honesty if it wasn't for my status on BA.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
The daytime flight from BOS would also be fairly bearable in econ, barely 6h usually, worth bearing in mind.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I might also consider jetblue.

regards

tbs
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
If they haven't flown in some time, do try set their expectations that no matter which airline, its much less pleasant than it use to be ...
scoonee, arf04, ttama and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

regards

tbs
+1.

JetBlue is likely to offer the greatest seat pitch in regular Economy of all carriers flying BOS-LON nonstop.

As mentioned, be sure to compare like with like when looking at fares. For JetBlue, a "Blue Basic" fare includes neither advance seat selection nor a checked bag. A "Blue" fare offers both. For AA, you would be looking for a "Main Cabin" fare rather than a "Basic Economy" fare if you wanted advance seat selection and an included checked bag.

Note that an AARP membership would get a discount on BA for every member of the family traveling on the same reservation. And a Chase/BA Visa credit card will also offer a discount. (The two discounts can be stacked.)
ttama, Cthunder86 and northinsouth like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Good recommendation. I recently did that westbound to Boston. Needed something on short notice and couldn’t get anything on BA.

Pay a little extra for the extra legroom seats and it’s actually pretty comfortable for a day flight.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

regards

tbs
scoonee, ttama and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your comments. It's all very helpful. I'm feeding them back to the family.
scoonee and PETER01 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by ttama
Thank you for all your comments. It's all very helpful. I'm feeding them back to the family.
Im sure others, including myself, like to know how the story ends. Some good posts there and hope they get a good deal etc
ttama and Barrheadlass like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Im sure others, including myself, like to know how the story ends. Some good posts there and hope they get a good deal etc
I'll keep you informed. And hopefully there'll be a trip report of some sort in a few month's time.

It's hard to know how much advice to give to others, as I don't want to cause confusion and indecision. But yes, it will be interesting to find out what they choose
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I always had the impression Virgin do better on customer experience at the back than BA, where even with status you're pretty much ignored. But it's been a while since I've flown with them so this also has the status of a folk memory. I've heard good things about Jetblue and at some point will give them a go.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by ttama
Given the choice, if flying Economy with no airline status, would you pick BA to fly Boston-LHR return? I can see that most other airlines on that route (Virgin, Delta, United, not sure about AA) allow advance seat selection at no additional cost, and BA don't. Would that put you off flying BA, if you were flying as a family (all adults) and the cost of the flights was similar?
Are they willing to connect?

Aer Lingus over Dublin is another option, with the benefit of pre-clearance in Dublin, so they arrive as domestic passengers in the US. They are often competitive with fares and are quite good when it comes to the on board amenities (Lunch, ice cream mid-flight, pre-landing snack - but do charge for alcoholic drinks on board). Seat selection will still charge, so it depends on what they find most beneficial.

If it's a non-stop flight and cheapest fare, they're all much of a muchness. Are they accumulating Avios? There are many variables that should feed into a purchase decision.
becks1 and northinsouth like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.