Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you pick BA to fly economy Boston-LHR (no status)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you pick BA to fly economy Boston-LHR (no status)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I always had the impression Virgin do better on customer experience at the back than BA, where even with status you're pretty much ignored. But it's been a while since I've flown with them so this also has the status of a folk memory. I've heard good things about Jetblue and at some point will give them a go.
Having done BA and VS at the back recently, they're both very similar in the air. What would do it for me is seat selection as part of the fare AND Heathrow terminal. VS fly from T3 which is, unless you have a lounge, a dump compared to T5.

I've yet to try JetBlue.

I actually like Delta Airlines above BA and VS but havent seen competitive fares with them for several years.
ttama and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Are they willing to connect?

Aer Lingus over Dublin is another option, with the benefit of pre-clearance in Dublin, so they arrive as domestic passengers in the US. They are often competitive with fares and are quite good when it comes to the on board amenities (Lunch, ice cream mid-flight, pre-landing snack - but do charge for alcoholic drinks on board). Seat selection will still charge, so it depends on what they find most beneficial.

If it's a non-stop flight and cheapest fare, they're all much of a muchness. Are they accumulating Avios? There are many variables that should feed into a purchase decision.
They'd like a non-stop flight on this occasion. And they don't accumulate avios. And yes, I agree about the many variables. I think volunteering any travel-related advice can be a minefield, and as soon as I start doing it I regret it - it's bad enough making my own choices, let alone thinking you can help others.

I've fed back some of the comments here and will let them make their own decision now, unless they come back and ask for more input. But thank you to everyone - I guess I was simply concerned if there were any horror stories about any carrier, but it seems (for a fairly short flight) that you can't go too wrong whoever you choose.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Having done BA and VS at the back recently, they're both very similar in the air. What would do it for me is seat selection as part of the fare AND Heathrow terminal. VS fly from T3 which is, unless you have a lounge, a dump compared to T5.

I've yet to try JetBlue.

I actually like Delta Airlines above BA and VS but havent seen competitive fares with them for several years.
Thank you. That's useful information. I wasn't sure whether to discuss terminals with them.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Delta (though typically with woeful catering in economy) and Virgin will also operate aircraft that don't have very many middle seats. Delta will mostly be 767s to London (2-3-2) with maybe the odd A330 (2-4-2) in peak season, while Virgin is mostly A330 (2-4-2) with the odd A350/787 (3-3-3).
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by ttama
I guess I was simply concerned if there were any horror stories about any carrier, but it seems (for a fairly short flight) that you can't go too wrong whoever you choose.
I'm sure whoever they choose it should be fine. sepecially for a short 'long haul'
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PETER01
I'm sure whoever they choose it should be fine. sepecially for a short 'long haul'
I agree.

Being able to choose any airline/alliance to fly with is a plus.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would choose BA since it seems to be the only airline that offers a daytime service from Boston to London
nk15 and World Traveller Fuss like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Travelling in World Traveller / economy is essentially a cost-led decision. There may be minor advantage in (e.g.) meal quality between the airlines but they don't really shift the core factor - ticket price. However that ticket price needs to include things that make a fair and relevant comparison. So add in fees for baggage and/or seating if that's required for these areas. And then probably go for the cheapest given it's such a short trip.

There are some factors that may push the dial in different directions
- the value of a day flight if that is viable for the trip, I certainly would value this, but other travellers may resent losing a day on it.
- whether it's worth going indirect to save money (e.g. Aer Lingus / Icelandair / Level)
- the fact that European airlines, including BA and VS. have EC261 and USA airlnes do not.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
As noted above, free beer on BA, AA, Virgin (perhaps, never flown them) and some others would swing me in that direction. That's at least another 30-40 saved in my book.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
As noted above, free beer on BA, AA, Virgin (perhaps, never flown them) and some others would swing me in that direction. That's at least another 30-40 saved in my book.
JetBlue offers free beer, wine, and spirits -- and a 32" seat pitch in regular Economy. But no UK 261 protection on the BOS-LHR flight.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I always had the impression Virgin do better on customer experience at the back than BA, where even with status you're pretty much ignored. But it's been a while since I've flown with them so this also has the status of a folk memory. I've heard good things about Jetblue and at some point will give them a go.
I had a friend recently visit from New York and she was raving about how good her JetBlue flight was. I had to admit not knowing the airline even existed until that point!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would choose BA since it seems to be the only airline that offers a daytime service from Boston to London
That's a fair point and I much prefer day flights, that said my last two BA238 day flights from BOS have been cancelled. More day flight options from New York airports.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The daytime argument has some value in terms of tiredness, though it may not be ideal for optimising the holiday time.

Otherwise, if DL uses a 330 or 767 Id probably choose them just because I like seat pairs (window and aisle) a lot more pleasant though might prefer vs on the flight from the us to be covered by ec261.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
B6 is by far the best experience on that route except for lack of UK261 on your outbound. I say this as an AA CK who goes out of my way to fly BA whenever I can.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
All loyalty aside, BOS-LHR is such a short flight that, after serving the whole cabin, you will have only ~3 hours undisturbed sleep.

For starting a trip, not ideal.

The dayflight arrives at a civilised time to get into town, shower, dinner, and be ready to go.

Alternatively, get the early overnights and then buy earlier check-in at a hotel to sleep through the morning until lunchtime.

Either way, your first day is likely limited on BOS originating itineraries.
Cymro likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.