Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Coaches, planes, and automobiles - or how a TP run trip can go wrong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coaches, planes, and automobiles - or how a TP run trip can go wrong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Ahhhhh, one of the photo captions was sunset on SFO to LAX, that's what threw me.
Aha, well spotted. Now corrected
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
We took the flixbus from Boston to NYC and back in May 2022, as we were advised by some friends to avoid flying for such a short distance (I tried to book Amtrak and my payment never worked, no matter whether I used the website or app). It was okay on the first trip but the second trip was massively delayed by traffic and there wasnt any toilet paper in the loo. They seem to generally provide a reasonable service and I can see who might have a use for it, but I would personally never use them again!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
I had a somewhat similar problem several years ago, when my LHR-SFO flight was cancelled at very short notice due to snow at LHR. At my request BA rebooked me on an LHR-LAX service on the same day, however I had a separate ticket on AA on a non-changeable discounted A fare for SFO-LAX-CUN, and the SFO-LAX flight was scheduled to depart more or less when I now landed at LAX. So I called AA on the US number for AAdvantage Platinum members (I was one at the time on top of being BA Gold) from the BA lounge at LHR, and explained that I had been planning to arrive at SFO on a BA flight that had just been cancelled due to snow, so could I please skip the first leg in the itinerary and board the CUN flight at LAX? The AA customer agent had no idea that LHR was snowed in, but they checked and confirmed that the BA flight to SFO had indeed been cancelled and agreed to waive the no-show clause for the first leg and let me board the CUN flight at LAX. So that was really cool of them and I really appreciate their flexibility under the circumstances.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Which hotel is that in NYC? Great view!
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:33 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by London Dude
Iexplained that I had been planning to arrive at SFO on a BA flight that had just been cancelled due to snow, so could I please skip the first leg in the itinerary and board the CUN flight at LAX? The AA customer agent had no idea that LHR was snowed in, but they checked and confirmed that the BA flight to SFO had indeed been cancelled and agreed to waive the no-show clause for the first leg and let me board the CUN flight at LAX. So that was really cool of them and I really appreciate their flexibility under the circumstances.
What you describe truly is customer service.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What you describe truly is customer service.
Indeed, and I really appreciated their willingness to bend the rules in light of the exceptional circumstances, rather than blindly apply them to the letter.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
KARFA, a great account of creative thinking that got you where you needed to be on time. The only other thing which I might have explored was whether there were other evening flights still available from LAX to either OAK or SJC -- whether on AA, AS, DL, or even WN (despite the latter's recent operational difficulties).

As for AA's policy re: IROPS protection on separate oneworld tickets, the current published policy is that protection will be given on separate oneworld tickets if both tickets are on a single PNR; the policy is silent about what happens when the tickets are on separate PNRs (the policy doesn't say yes, and it doesn't say no). The former policy used to explicitly offer protection even when the separate tickets were on separate PNRs.

Apparently there are some travel agents -- including at least one FT regular -- who are able to put separate tickets on a single PNR.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 12, 2023 at 12:44 pm
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Great report KARFA!
A Bus!!
I always imagine an overnight is basically "fail-safe" too but I guess it isn't always.

"My impression was this might work as I did think AA had a policy of covering disruption when connecting to/from another oneworld flight even when on separate tickets."

Unfortunately this officially updated in 2019 or 2020 (I think) and they no longer provide protection.
I also used to have a copy of the terms which I think were on the AA website, because the agents often didn't know anything about it.
The joys of paper tickets were that everything could be done easily - on the ground - with little hassle - -. Now - everything is so linked and digitized it wants ticketing perfection and approvals before getting on a plane - thus - making it impossible to do things in a circumvented way.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Great TR Karfa - and I do love the paradox of taking a Flixbus / National Express then jumping into 1K on a 777 TATL - we all do it
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Excellent report. I had a good laugh at the "bit dim" characterisation of your fellow passenger! DTLA has never been the best of places but it really is sketchy AF now. My wife and I were in Traxx bar at Union Station on the 24th December before taking the train to Chicago and that was interesting. We had a female patron who had the bartender mix her a cocktail which she then refused to pay for, and asked for her tip from a previous drink to be given back to her. We had another patron leave briefly for a smoke outside, and who came back in bloody and beaten having been attacked by a homeless person whose request for change he'd rebuffed. Finally we had two (former) prisoners who'd been released earlier that day and who were enjoying probably their first beer in a long time while waiting for their respective trains home. They were actually perfectly pleasant, well-mannered, and respectful and appreciated my offer to buy them a beer!

When I was coming out to LA frequently in the early 2000s for work my firm would issue new visitors with a map of DTLA showing which areas were to be avoided and which were less dodgy. It's definitely got a lot worse over the years, and markedly so since COVID saw most of downtown become a business ghost town.
blurt91, eugnk, AJA_ and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: EB Skrpmetall, AY No Extra Bags for You, BA EU261/2004 Thread
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Finally we had two (former) prisoners who'd been released earlier that day
Well, theres the Central Jail on the right hand side when traveling out of Union Station on a train, or a 5-10 min walk from Patsaouras Bus Plaza, so its a place as good as any for a freedom beer
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krispy84
Which hotel is that in NYC? Great view!
this is at the hgi w 35th which is pretty much my go to hotel in Manhattan. Not the best but very well located to get around as it is right next to herald square subway and easy walking distance to penn station. And I love getting the Empire State Building facing rooms and having the window open listening to all the street sounds below.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
As you discovered, Amtrak, unfortunately, is not much of an option. Morning departure only, arriving San Jose about 8pm or so (theoretically, if it's not late -- there's a reason that train is nicknamed the Starlate).

If you or anyone else is ever in this situation again in San Francisco, you can take Caltrain to Millbrae and catch BART from there to the airport. Somebody actually planned a convenient transit connection in this country!

Enjoyed the report!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KARFA
We had one stop on the way out of LA at UCLA. I am afraid my free seat went at that point and a young woman took the window seat next to me. I did think she might be a uni student, but she did seem to be a bit dim. She asked where we were stopping and I showed the flixbus app which showed a stop around 0230 at someplace which looked like a truck stop, then San Jose and on to San Francisco. The coach ended at Berkeley which seemed to be where she was going but obviously that was beyond the end of my journey. Anyway she proceeded to suggest to me that I was on the wrong coach and tell me it wouldn’t go to San Francisco before going to Oakland and Berkeley. She did question my knowledge of the bay area but - tbh it made sense to me to go San Jose, San Francisco, then across the bridge to Oakland. Anyway we left it at that.
I trust your judgment with respect to her dimness but, to be fair, a route up the east side of the bay to Oakland and Berkeley and then over to San Francisco was perfectly plausible. Anyway, congratulations on finding this bus option and pulling it off.

Originally Posted by KARFA
this is at the hgi w 35th which is pretty much my go to hotel in Manhattan. Not the best but very well located to get around as it is right next to herald square subway and easy walking distance to penn station. And I love getting the Empire State Building facing rooms and having the window open listening to all the street sounds below.
Thanks for that recommendation. I usually stay at the Embassy Suites (37th St) in that area. Tried the Doubletree once and don't recommend it.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
The other rail option would be the San Joaquin route through the Central Valley but that's a bus from Union Station to Bakersfield and then a train from there north. You could change to the BART at Richmond. I haven't done the bus from LAX to Bakersfield although I have taken the Coast Starlight when it was diverted over Tehachapi. That's an impressive ride if you get the chance.
KARFA and Hudute like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.