Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Coaches, planes, and automobiles - or how a TP run trip can go wrong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coaches, planes, and automobiles - or how a TP run trip can go wrong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
what a mess and i think booking a 1720 flight is more than sufficient to get to SFO probably 98% of the time, you just got caught in the 2%, and you left a day before! but even still got stung and i cant believe you hoofed it to the bus, thats dedication.

i would have just taken any of the first trips in the early morning the following day and chanced it, but to each their own!
RJD1983 and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, Avis President's Club
Good to see you're still a man of the people KARFA!

Last 561 Leeds to London National Express I got was in October 1988!!! Vowed never to do it again after getting stuck in British Midland disaster at Kegworth!
KARFA and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's one trip I'm glad not to have been on.....I'm knackered just reading about it!!
Good for you for being able to get yourself out of a tight situation.
squeeler, KARFA and TedToToe like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP, FI
KARFA - great report, but does show you should always have a Plan B (even if you think you have plenty of time!) when you have separate bookings. You were fortunate to have alternative options, and good for you on finding the bus option.
If you had not been drinking would you have driven to SFO, as a last resort?
RJD1983, KARFA, Robert279 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Great read and thanks, glad it worked out.

As for this

One passenger nearby who was watching something on their phone without headphones was a bit annoying but fortunately not too bad.
I dont why people think its acceptable but weve had plenty of this on FT.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I already wrote down the bail bond number - just in case!
Koru Flyer, O62, _kurt and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Plan B is always necessary - surprised to see no mention of a plan B alarm call to make sure you got off the bus at the right stop as I thought you always had a spare alarm these days ….
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
An excellent report and great to see how an extremely frequent flyer managed to dig himself out of a hole.

I have vague backup plans when I fly but I've never had anything like this happen to me. Maybe I should push the limits a bit but I don't think OH would enjoy any potential extra stress!

Looking forward to the next report from a liftshare maybe?
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Great report! I command your problem-solving skills.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
good work KARFA maybe buses are the new trains for you
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by blurt91
KARFA I was with you for every step of your story. It took me back to my backpacking days and early 1986. I was in San Francisco and had a flight booked home to SYD from YVR. I had a Trailways bus pass and had allowed plenty of time for the journey up the west coast of the US. Unfortunately I delayed my departure by 24hrs (yes there was a woman involved!) which coincided with some of the worst storms to hit the bay area in years. The resultant flooding meant buses taking massive diversions. I think it took some 36 hrs to get to Vancouver and did actually get to the airport with quite a few hours to spare. In those long ago days with no money or status or lounge access , by the time I eventually got to SYD, I had gone 57 hours without a bed or shower!!! I can appreciate the description of bus stations. There was quite a few hours spent changing buses at some of these less than desirable places in my travels across the US.
Well that certainly beats my story by a fair bit. Certainly character building

Originally Posted by fatmac70
KARFA - great report, but does show you should always have a Plan B (even if you think you have plenty of time!) when you have separate bookings. You were fortunate to have alternative options, and good for you on finding the bus option.
If you had not been drinking would you have driven to SFO, as a last resort?
To be fair I had a few glasses of champagne earlier in the QF, but nothing whilst I was sat in the flagship so I as reasonably sober but I suspect still over the US limit. But yes even in sober I would have been reluctant to drive as I have never done so in the US and would have been driving overnight on unfamiliar roads with little sleep.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: EB Skrpmetall, AY No Extra Bags for You, BA EU261/2004 Thread
An interesting and entertaining report, thank you!

It could have been worse...you could have taken the Greyhound from even sketchier part of DTLA by 7th & Alameda

When we needed Uber from LAX last week, I noticed there was quite a remarkable hidden surcharge taking one from the LAX-IT lot compared to if we had taken a hotel/LA Metro C Line shuttle. We were slugging heavy bags, so didn't want to bother, but for our 45-ish minute ride we would have saved $20-30 by choosing a different departure point. We just ended up taking a RideYellow cab (25% discount when paying by credit card and booking through their app).

You could have taken the FlyAway bus for $9.75 from LAX to Union Station, but I guess they only depart twice an hour, so Uber was probably a far more comfortable option.

Even when the LAX people mover will finally be completed in time for the 2028 Olympics, getting to Union Station by public transportation will be typically "LA and Public Transportation Don't Mesh Well" difficult: People mover => K/Crenshaw Line => E/Expo Line (or might be L/Gold Line for the whole ride from Santa Monica to East LA by then) => Another change in downtown to get to Union Station, as closest Expo/Gold line station (after Regional Connector tunnel is finished) would be Little Tokyo

I thought I watched some travel YouTuber once take a night bus between LA and SFO, but I wonder if that happened before the pandemic.

Edit: Looks like the Cabin sleeper bus went away already somewhere around 19-20

Last edited by AutismoSupremo; Jan 12, 2023 at 10:22 am
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
So lemme see if I have this straight. You took an overnight bus from LAX to SFO just to fly SFO-LAX-JFK the next day?
zip10001 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
So lemme see if I have this straight. You took an overnight bus from LAX to SFO just to fly SFO-LAX-JFK the next day?
Haha, well that wouldn't be entirely unusual, but the flight next day was SFO direct to JFK.
aks120 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by KARFA
Haha, well that wouldn't be entirely unusual, but the flight next day was SFO direct to JFK.
Ahhhhh, one of the photo captions was sunset on SFO to LAX, that's what threw me.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.