Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK Border Force Christmas strike - confirmed dates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Border Force Christmas strike - confirmed dates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: BAEC & VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by drap360
I am flying BA to Heathrow, arriving on 18th with a six hour layover. Can anyone recommend a VIP service to meet at plane door and expedite immigration at T5. Departing flight to TLV is also T5. Don’t need the Windsor Lounge, just someone to grab us and fast track us, similar to CK service on AA.

thanks.
Just to check, if you're flying BA into LHR T5 and then another partner airline (or BA) from any LHR terminal then you don't need to clear immigration. You can simply proceed through transit, since you won't be passing the UK border you are unlikely to be affected by the strikes
stifle likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:17 pm

BA all the way through. LAX to LHR, then LHR to TLV, all T5 I believe.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: BAEC & VS Flying Club
BA all the way through. LAX to LHR, then LHR to TLV, all T5 I believe.
Your bag will be checked through and you won't need to clear immigration. You can do a sterile transit so you don't need to actually pass the UK border (unlike the US where you do need to clear the border to transit). Unless you wanted to leave the airport for the 6 hour layover then you won't have any issues.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Asme173
Your bag will be checked through and you won't need to clear immigration. You can do a sterile transit so you don't need to actually pass the UK border (unlike the US where you do need to clear the border to transit). Unless you wanted to leave the airport for the 6 hour layover then you won't have any issues.
Thank you. It’s been awhile since I have been through LHR and usually it’s on AA into T3, which If I recall, when transferring required to go through security again. Did not realize that a T5 transfer did not require security, immigration, etc.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you. It’s been awhile since I have been through LHR and usually it’s on AA into T3, which If I recall, when transferring required to go through security again. Did not realize that a T5 transfer did not require security, immigration, etc.
You do go through security at LHR, unless your connection is from another UK airport, but no immigration requirements, you don't formally enter the UK, so you are not directly impacted by the strike if you stay airside.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC
You don’t have to clear immigration as mentioned above. You will have to clear security at flight connections.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
You don’t have to clear immigration as mentioned above. You will have to clear security at flight connections.
Copy that, sorry for the endless questions… so it’s the same security like when you transfer from T3? Is there a dedicated FC line? Arriving BA first class.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Copy that, sorry for the endless questions… so it’s the same security like when you transfer from T3? Is there a dedicated FC line? Arriving BA first class.
If you arrive in plenty of time, and your passport allows e-gate use and the queues for the e-gates are not long, then you are better off exiting and using the First Wing as a departing passenger. This is long standing advice around these parts and not related to the strikes, but we don't know the impact of these strikes at this point and all sorts of other factors come into this, such as time of day, day of the week and so on.
BA1321 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you arrive in plenty of time, and your passport allows e-gate use and the queues for the e-gates are not long, then you are better off exiting and using the First Wing as a departing passenger. This is long standing advice around these parts and not related to the strikes, but we don't know the impact of these strikes at this point and all sorts of other factors come into this, such as time of day, day of the week and so on.
Understood. Solid advice. Dragging the whole family along, 7 in total. Two of us, AA Executive Platinum flying FC, and the other five flying business. Will they let us all go through the First Wing? On AA, they are great about letting fellow travelers follow into Flagship entrance. Wondering about BA.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:48 am

Understood. Solid advice. Dragging the whole family along, 7 in total. Two of us, AA Executive Platinum flying FC, and the other five flying business. Will they let us all go through the First Wing? On AA, they are great about letting fellow travelers follow into Flagship entrance. Wondering about BA.
This is going more than a bit off topic since you're not travelling on a strike day, not impacted by the strikes, have a long connection and this is more about going through security, so I'd gently suggest you look at the threads on the First Wing. But the First Wing can be used by oneworld Emeralds and those flying First, plus one guest. So you won't get all 7 through the First Wing, but you can use Fast Track next door.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is going more than a bit off topic since you're not travelling on a strike day, not impacted by the strikes, have a long connection and this is more about going through security, so I'd gently suggest you look at the threads on the First Wing. But the First Wing can be used by oneworld Emeralds and those flying First, plus one guest. So you won't get all 7 through the First Wing, but you can use Fast Track next door.
Will do.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Currently scheduled to fly BA190 AUS-LHR then connect to IST on 29 Dec, arriving LHR on the 30th. We already had an equipment change, but now noticing the flight no longer shows for sale and shows zeroed out in EF. Assuming this is in connection to the strike since the arrival would be during scheduled dates, but wondering if this may ultimately result in a cancellation, or is preemptive to provide potential reaccommodation flexibility should other flights get canceled. How seriously should I be exploring other options or looking to potentially shift trip days around?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DCtrAAveler
Currently scheduled to fly BA190 AUS-LHR then connect to IST on 29 Dec, arriving LHR on the 30th. We already had an equipment change, but now noticing the flight no longer shows for sale and shows zeroed out in EF. Assuming this is in connection to the strike since the arrival would be during scheduled dates, but wondering if this may ultimately result in a cancellation, or is preemptive to provide potential reaccommodation flexibility should other flights get canceled. How seriously should I be exploring other options or looking to potentially shift trip days around?
As of now, it's only zeroed out for new tickets. Existing bookings are currently unaffected. It's anyone's guess at this point if outright flight cancellation will need to be announced.
dml105 and DCtrAAveler like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:54 am

Pseudo confirmation that BA and VS have agreed not to sell more tickets into London on strike days. Domestic flights appear unaffected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64006185
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I did some random checks on google flights from NYC/ROM/MIL/ATH to LHR, BA flights are indeed not showing for Dec 23-25 and 28-30, while all the other airlines still selling tickets.

Last edited by nk15; Dec 16, 2022 at 11:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.