Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ‘group 1,2,3’ pillars

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by etiene
EI at DUB over the weekend did priority then a strictly enforced back to front boarding for everyone else. I've no idea if that's the prescribed policy or merely the preference of the [specifically badged] "Turnaround Coordinator" though.
This is how EI board all their flights.

When I flew transatlantic with them in October, it was exactly the same. Priority, then back to front.
BA or bust and etiene like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:04 am

another hairbrain scheme that will make zero difference unless consistently enforced (which it won’t be). How much did they all cost?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
AA has two boarding channels and they generally do a great job of boarding strictly by group number

This 1-3 malarkey has been in place for at least the last month at Heathrow and abroad and if you're in Group 1 you are now generally queuing and boarding with half the plane.

I've had 12 international BA flights this month and only once has Group 1 been invited to board before Groups 2 & 3

The gate staff were complaining about it at LHR this morning

Idiocy - what is the point of groups if BA is going to board in two phases?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Ned1968
The gate staff were complaining about it at LHR this morning
...from which point of view?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gw76
another hairbrain scheme that will make zero difference unless consistently enforced (which it won’t be). How much did they all cost?
Not much, but here is an example of where they work:

The queue to this gate is largely on the left side of this photo, and there are complaints in this forum about no Priority Boarding at NCL. This isn't so, the regulars know about the sign on the door area such their queue is on the right. The new pillars now make this clear since it's over head height. They were rolled out at the beginning of October 2022 withiin the UK, and in other places more recently.
T8191, KARFA, crazy8534 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
In my experience/from what I have observed, it is a simply a way to form two separate queue as people invariably tend to stand in front of the gate even if they held a groups 9 boarding pass (I blame the rise of budget airlines for this &#128517. So a Priority queue may form separately from the other groups, but then they tend to still call by group number once the boarding commence.

The other benefit is that if you are late at the gate as a group 1-2-3 BP holder and there is a long queue for the remaining group, you can still go via the dedicated queue without having to join the main one (done it few times recently after overstaying in the lounge)
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
It's those in group 2 and 3 that are the worst. They stand across the entrance to the priority lane and when group 1 is called, stand large to make sure "None shall Pass".
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
this type of this is happening across quite a few airlines...
remember we must now include everyone in group boarding.. otherwise we will offend groups after us that need to feel loved..
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by stephenjc
EDI-LHR last Saturday. We've had the 1-3 for a while, but something changed recently or we got a good gate agent.
Group 1 was called, only group 1 and it was policed at the pillar, anything but G1 and you were told to wait.
Then G2, etc.
Long may it continue.
I had this recently at EDI. A proper effort by the gate agent for Group 1s with a few turned away who tried to chance it from other Groups.
aks120, T8191, cosmo74 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by BASon
These ‘pillars’ seem to appearing all over the place at the moment - I’ve been finding that they’ve significantly reduced the boarding experience.
When I reached the gate for my flight from LHR to ARL on Monday I found there must have been 30 people queuing for 'groups 1-3' boarding before anything was called.

Why do people feel the need to create an orderly queue before any groups are called, ready to pounce when they are eventually called? As soon as they announce group 1, I simply ignore that queue and go to the front anyhow.
aoyamaguy likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by gw76

Very much inclined to agree.

What has always bemused me about BA’s Boarding by Groups ‘policy’ is the plethora of different ways in which it has been applied by gate agents ever since the day of its introduction. The sheer inconsistency - ranging from rigorous enforcement (a rarity IME) to total free-for-all (perfectly common) - is something to behold ; whilst regularly causing frustration and / or needless chaos.

Can recall a particular sector back from LJU earlier this year when two agents were sat side-by-side at the gate desk. One of them made a very clear, courteous announcement : “Welcome to today’s flight number xx to London Heathrow. We shall shortly be ready to board, and please note that this will be strictly by Group number”

Around five minutes pass. Passengers are very calm and mostly seated. The same agent by now had become engaged in discussion (about which I know nothing, nor should I) with one of the waiting pax. Her colleague suddenly speaks into the PA microphone : “Ladies & gentlemen, we are now ready to board” …..and then …… er ….. no more words emerged from her mouth at all.

So, a minor scrum ensues, although in fairness it so happened that everyone on the day was surprisingly restrained with no barging or pushing as we all progressed as a single group, so to speak, through the gate scanner. But it was very clear that Group Five got you the exact same ‘priority’ as Group One. Just a different number printed on your BP …… it’s there ….. but quite often, as in this case, to no particular effect. Bit like the shiny new signage.
EuropeanPete, gw76, T8191 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by etiene
...from which point of view?
negatively
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GuyWMD
A recent return from Billund to Heathrow, groups 1-3 were called at the same time. Very messy. Plus, the 'holding pen' meant as I came to the gate fairly late, I was one of the very last to board.
You should try the Thursday evening ZRH - LCY. I'm sure there's someone who's not priority on the flight, but I've never met them.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
deleted

Last edited by ianwall; Nov 23, 2022 at 12:36 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:41 pm

Unless I've got a bag to go in the overhead locker I'm quite happy to be the last on, never really understood the rush.
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.