Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ‘group 1,2,3’ pillars

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I think a lot of people genuinely don't process that Group 1 is absolutely everyone in CE plus all of the Golds/AA PlatPro/AA ExecPlat/OWEs from ET and is quite often (especially on EDI flights) about 1/3 of the plane.
I was on BA1338 LHR-NCL yesterday, which is popular with weekly commuters though it departs at 20:30 so a bit late for some. But it won't be as status rich as EDI. A320. It was late boarding (but still arrived early), with enforcement on priority boarding and I was in a position to count:
Total passengers 141
Club Europe 23
EuroTraveller 118
==
Group 1 = 37 = 26%
Group 2 = 6 = 4%
Group 3 = 4 = 2%
Total G1-G3 = 47 = 33%

So I would suggest that while the segregation was done here, it would not have made a fundamental difference is groups 1 to 3 were called together. This is a one flight anecdote, but that type of flight is not unusual.
KARFA, crazy8534, lcylocal and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:59 am

duplicate
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Actually the pillars specifically ask people to remain seated until their group number is called
What will make them pay any more attention to that than current ‘please remain seated’ on main screens? Zero impact I might suggest.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I was on BA1338 LHR-NCL yesterday, which is popular with weekly commuters though it departs at 20:30 so a bit late for some. But it won't be as status rich as EDI. A320. It was late boarding (but still arrived early), with enforcement on priority boarding and I was in a position to count:
Total passengers 141
Club Europe 23
EuroTraveller 118
==
Group 1 = 37 = 26%
Group 2 = 6 = 4%
Group 3 = 4 = 2%
Total G1-G3 = 47 = 33%

So I would suggest that while the segregation was done here, it would not have made a fundamental difference is groups 1 to 3 were called together. This is a one flight anecdote, but that type of flight is not unusual.
I didn’t realise there were so many Goldies travelling to our home airport! I wonder if it’s as status heavy on the NCL-LHR, I haven’t paid much attention.

When you say priority boarding was enforced, so you mean they called Group 1 first and turned people away if they didn’t have group 1 on their boarding pass?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I didn’t realise there were so many Goldies travelling to our home airport!
Well it depends on your definition of so many. You have to remember that anyone in CE gets Group 1 regardless of status unlike long haul CW which gets Group 2 regardless of First being present or not. In the example CWS provided there are 14 Golds in Y and it's reasonable to assume that not everyone in CE is Gold.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
In the example CWS provided there are 14 Golds in Y and it's reasonable to assume that not everyone in CE is Gold.
Well, actually, 14 OWE and/or people on the same PNRs as a OWE in Y, which is not quite the same thing!
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, actually, 14 OWE and/or people on the same PNRs as a OWE in Y, which is not quite the same thing!
Sorry yes you are correct.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When you say priority boarding was enforced, so you mean they called Group 1 first and turned people away if they didn’t have group 1 on their boarding pass?
Well it depends on your definition of so many. You have to remember that anyone in CE gets Group 1 regardless of status unlike long haul CW which gets Group 2 regardless of First being present or not. In the example CWS provided there are 14 Golds in Y and it's reasonable to assume that not everyone in CE is Gold.
Actually it could easily be something like just 8 Golds in EuroTraveller and 6 spouses and other family members. Yes, there was someone at the front of the priority boarding channel announcing "Group 1 only" and holding up a single finger clearly about his head. What I thought was interesting is that if you were in this mega group you may assume "they can't all be Group 1", since you wouldn't have visibility of the large-ish CE cabin. Nor would you be aware that actually there was group 2 and 3 behind, with just a few people in them.

In fact I suspect those Group 1 members who must have foresaken 30 minutes lounge time in order to queue up well before boarding (and there was an announcement that boarding would be delayed due a late inbound), only to be part of a large boarding group, and see 22 people go in front of them pre-boarded in return for surrending overhead bags. But that's for the other Angst thread......
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Making CE group 2 would make my life a lot easier and would be logical as CW is group 2 even on aircraft that don't have first.

#controversial
EuropeanPete and stephenjc like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by firstlight
Making CE group 2 would make my life a lot easier and would be logical as CW is group 2 even on aircraft that don't have first.

#controversial
I thought CW was Group 1 on planes without first?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:22 am

Nope. CW is Group 2 whether the flight has First or not.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
don't think so, we're on a flight with at least 50j pax and there's about 8 group 1 and group 0 (us 😉 )
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Total passengers 141
Club Europe 23
EuroTraveller 118
==
Group 1 = 37 = 26%
Group 2 = 6 = 4%
Group 3 = 4 = 2%
Total G1-G3 = 47 = 33%

Fantastic data, thanks CWS.
And it does sort of put paid to the idea that many on here (and I include myself) should feel short-changed when they call groups 1-3 together.

It reminds me a little of the oft-quoted exchange:
"I'm in traffic"
"No, you ARE traffic".
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Nope. CW is Group 2 whether the flight has First or not.
As evidenced by getting Group 2 on the single class BA1 service years ago.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
Originally Posted by S_W_S
As evidenced by getting Group 2 on the single class BA1 service years ago.
They had to give the golds some benefit on this route 😁
Radiation Station likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.