Wiki Posts
Search

New ‘group 1,2,3’ pillars

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:41 am
Original Poster

New ‘group 1,2,3’ pillars

Hello,

These ‘pillars’ seem to appearing all over the place at the moment - I’ve been finding that they’ve significantly reduced the boarding experience. Now much more common that there’s already a confused queue formed with a mixture of all three groups - and that the groups are being called together at boarding?

Feel it’s one of those classic - logically good idea, but fails when in contact with reality.

They look very snazzy and smart though…
EuropeanPete and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by BASon
Hello,

These ‘pillars’ seem to appearing all over the place at the moment - I’ve been finding that they’ve significantly reduced the boarding experience. Now much more common that there’s already a confused queue formed with a mixture of all three groups - and that the groups are being called together at boarding?

Feel it’s one of those classic - logically good idea, but fails when in contact with reality.

They look very snazzy and smart though…
They are in place to help BA call groups 1 to 3 at the same time, which they almost invariably do these days, giving Goldies an opportunity to contemplate why they earned their extra TPs.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:49 am

Yet another downgrade of the BA F experience and this one isn’t even a significant cost to the airline
Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s like someone got annoyed that priority boarding sometimes worked, so now they want to make sure that Golds need to compete with sometimes the majority of passengers in order to board.

It’s almost hard to imagine this degradation of the experience could be done by accident alone.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Encountered at Punta Cana (PUJ) back in January. From my PUJ22 TR ... "Eventually the rush* subsided, and a very firm “Group One ONLY” was announced - good control by the Ground Agents!"

* Pre-boarders.

Old Nov 23, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
EDI-LHR last Saturday. We've had the 1-3 for a while, but something changed recently or we got a good gate agent.
Group 1 was called, only group 1 and it was policed at the pillar, anything but G1 and you were told to wait.
Then G2, etc.
Long may it continue.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Encountered at Punta Cana (PUJ) back in January.
The concept of a Group 1-2-3 lane isn't new, but the new high pillars to match the new corporate branding are a relatively recent addition. Nothing stopping the gate staff calling each group separately (as they should do), which is what has happened on several occasions on my flights recently.
volar and WanderingNikon like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 3:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The new pillars (which are square and smaller than shown in the photo above) have been around for a few weeks. They do not mean all groups 1-3 are called together - sometimes that does happen but in my experience both at LHR and outstations group 1 only is called first.

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 23, 2022 at 3:07 am
Old Nov 23, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
When used properly, KLM at Schiphol have a good setup for this. Two lanes with two screens that can display "Zone 1", "Zones 1&2", etc. Generally the priority groups use one lane, non-priority go through the other - allowing them to form a queue but not inhibit higher groups [more than is inevitable, since the space around the gates is quite cluttered in B and C piers]. Of course, them emphasis is on "when used properly" - more often than not it's been "Zones 1&2" followed by "every bugger else". As I'm currently only zone 3, that's especially irritating!

Presumably BA could use the same system in the same way at AMS, but I haven't flown them recently to know if they do. EI at DUB over the weekend did priority then a strictly enforced back to front boarding for everyone else. I've no idea if that's the prescribed policy or merely the preference of the [specifically badged] "Turnaround Coordinator" though.

Mostly I'd just rather they enforce whatever boarding sequence they've come up with properly. If you can't be arsed to train agents to use all the groups/zones/whatever you've invented in the first place - or make sure they're sticking to it going forward - then simplify it. No more of the "we have five boarding groups. Group 1/2/3 and Everyone Else."
Old Nov 23, 2022, 3:22 am

I flew CW LHR to Boston less than a week ago, and group one was called first.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A recent return from Billund to Heathrow, groups 1-3 were called at the same time. Very messy. Plus, the 'holding pen' meant as I came to the gate fairly late, I was one of the very last to board.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:24 am

Recently flew from Porto where they didn’t even bother with the groups despite them being on the boarding cards as normal. Buses were used to the aircraft and it was effectively a free for all. But that did come with a few very British huffs and tuts (auto correct just tried to type a different word then).
BA or bust likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Why are the BA staff so slow?
Its to call Group 1, then 2, then 3....!
Jesus...
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:44 am

Last week at KEF there was one of those , I was group 2 and about 15th in line, they called group 1 , the female in front of me I could clearly see her BC with group 9 on it, she proceeded to board with group 1 and they checked her threw, so I just joined in and boarded
RockyRobin, abraxias and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:47 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
Why are the BA staff so slow?
Its to call Group 1, then 2, then 3....!
Jesus...
More a case of CBA I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.