FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New ‘group 1,2,3’ pillars
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:38 am
subject2load

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by gw76
another hairbrain scheme that will make zero difference unless consistently enforced (which it won’t be). How much did they all cost?

Very much inclined to agree.

What has always bemused me about BA’s Boarding by Groups ‘policy’ is the plethora of different ways in which it has been applied by gate agents ever since the day of its introduction. The sheer inconsistency - ranging from rigorous enforcement (a rarity IME) to total free-for-all (perfectly common) - is something to behold ; whilst regularly causing frustration and / or needless chaos.

Can recall a particular sector back from LJU earlier this year when two agents were sat side-by-side at the gate desk. One of them made a very clear, courteous announcement : “Welcome to today’s flight number xx to London Heathrow. We shall shortly be ready to board, and please note that this will be strictly by Group number”

Around five minutes pass. Passengers are very calm and mostly seated. The same agent by now had become engaged in discussion (about which I know nothing, nor should I) with one of the waiting pax. Her colleague suddenly speaks into the PA microphone : “Ladies & gentlemen, we are now ready to board” …..and then …… er ….. no more words emerged from her mouth at all.

So, a minor scrum ensues, although in fairness it so happened that everyone on the day was surprisingly restrained with no barging or pushing as we all progressed as a single group, so to speak, through the gate scanner. But it was very clear that Group Five got you the exact same ‘priority’ as Group One. Just a different number printed on your BP …… it’s there ….. but quite often, as in this case, to no particular effect. Bit like the shiny new signage.