Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What gets priority in overhead wardrobe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

What gets priority in overhead wardrobe?

Flying from Madrid to Heath Row this week on a "completely full" (sic.) flight, the hostess asked me to remove a coat I had put in the overseat wardrobe (or "bin", if you must) and keep it on my lap, before disappearing and providing no further guidance on what to do with it even when later asked.
But what particularly got my goat was her repeated officious insistence that "luggage has priority" in said wardrobes. Is this in fact the case on BA or was she just expressing an opinion as a fact?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I think it is practicality: Bags in first, then coats on top of bags. Maximizes capacity.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Did you put your hand baggage in the overhead Iocker?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Isn't there a coat hook on the back of the seat for hanging one's coat?

In terms of the "completely full" flight statement I have to admit that I find this irksome too. The flight is either full or it's not.
Deckter, wrp96, JessicaB and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Yes.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Has overhead space angst been leaked into the water supply or something? This is at least the third thread on the subject in recent days.

Someone will be along to suggest a coloured tag scheme shortly I expect.
nancypants, wrp96, becks1 and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Yes.
I think it’s obvious why hand baggage would take priority over coats on a full flight.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just wait until the overhead is full of cases then put coat over those cases? Simple
PETER01, chessman, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
The overhead bins are for hand luggage, of which you are entitled to one piece. In addition you are entitled to a personal item, which could be a coat, to go under the seat in front unless you are in an exit or bulkhead row. Pragmatically, coats are unofficially allowed, but should be placed in bins if space only after luggage. In most cases this will be the case. The CC may hang in the wardrobe if fitted and space is available but this can’t be guaranteed either. CC appears to have been correct in their actions with you IMHO. It may be worth being a bag in your pocket that you can place your coat in to go under the seat if you don’t want to put it on the coat hook for your seat.
awayIgo, trooper, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by navylad; Nov 17, 2022 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have to say there is often a PA message to this effect during boarding. There is always space for a coat, even in a full bin, so long as it is in last. That said, the bins are so rarely cleaned, you really are best to use the hook on seats other than the exit rows. Bags have a journey to an aircraft, which can include being placed on footpaths, drive ways, floors of tube carriages, and some of this ends up in the overheads for a long time.....
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Do you mean the “overseat wardrobe”?
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In the unlikely case that this is not obvious, large bags and suitcases get lockers priority over everything else, simply because there is nowhere else they can be put in the cabin. You (literally) can put a small bag under the seat in front (unless you are sat in row 1 or an exit row), you (literally) can keep your coat on your lap, but there is (still literally) no place in the cabin where you can put a cabin suitcase if there is no locker space left, meaning that it would then have to be checked in the hold.

That said, in literally thousands and thousands of flights I have taken over the years, I don't think that there has been a single case on a regular commercial aircraft where it would not have been possible to fit a coat "somewhere" in the lockers after suitcases have been put in, but on a busy flight, that will simply need to be on top of large bags/suitcases or in between them where it is more likely to be crushed.
nancypants, wrp96, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
In the unlikely case that this is not obvious, large bags and suitcases get lockers priority over everything else, simply because there is nowhere else they can be put in the cabin. You (literally) can put a small bag under the seat in front (unless you are sat in row 1 or an exit row), you (literally) can keep your coat on your lap, but there is (still literally) no place in the cabin where you can put a cabin suitcase if there is no locker space left, meaning that it would then have to be checked in the hold.

That said, in literally thousands and thousands of flights I have taken over the years, I don't think that there has been a single case on a regular commercial aircraft where it would not have been possible to fit a coat "somewhere" in the lockers after suitcases have been put in, but on a busy flight, that will simply need to be on top of large bags/suitcases or in between them where it is more likely to be crushed.
What do you mean by literally ?
RichieMc and fluffymitten like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
In addition you are entitled to a personal item, which could be a coat, to go under the seat in front unless you are in an exit or bulkhead row..
Nope, the allowance is two bags, one small laptop bag / handbag (to go under the seat in front) and a larger cabin bag (which is not guaranteed, if there is no space). BA does not restrict whether you can take a coat, hat, scarf or any other clothing in addition to your two bags. Of course you should store things sensibly which involves not taking up locker space with coats.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjcxx
What do you mean by literally ?
I think that by 'literally', orbitmic literally means 'literally'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.