Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What gets priority in overhead wardrobe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tjcxx
What do you mean by literally ?
That it is physically possible to fit a small bag under the seat in front of you or keep a coat with you, and it is physically impossible to keep a suitcase anywhere else than in the lockers in a way that would make it possible for a pilot to fly the plane whilst respecting existing safety regulation.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by volar
Nope, the allowance is two bags, one small laptop bag / handbag (to go under the seat in front) and a larger cabin bag (which is not guaranteed, if there is no space). BA does not restrict whether you can take a coat, hat, scarf or any other clothing in addition to your two bags. Of course you should store things sensibly which involves not taking up locker space with coats.
Where does it state that you can take a coat in addition to the two bags exactly? BA doesn’t restrict what clothing you wear (except in extremist), but if you are not wearing it, that is not included in your allowance. Now in pragmatic terms, BA will likely allow it, but could at any time stop doing so and would not be in breach on their consumer contract. Otherwise might as well carry a pile of clothes rather than pay for checked luggage ;-) yes tongue and cheek, but remember this incident? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1888679-ba-passenger-arrested-wearing-too-many-clothes.html?styleid=22

The OP asked for the rules, hence my reply, based on the actual rules and also highlighting what happens in reality.
HarbourGent and wrldwide1 like this.

Last edited by navylad; Nov 17, 2022 at 4:44 pm
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
I think that by 'literally', orbitmic literally means 'literally'.
Yep, that's an excellent summary!
Old Nov 17, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Flying from Madrid to Heath Row this week on a "completely full" (sic.) flight, the hostess asked me to remove a coat I had put in the overseat wardrobe (or "bin", if you must) and keep it on my lap, before disappearing and providing no further guidance on what to do with it even when later asked.
But what particularly got my goat was her repeated officious insistence that "luggage has priority" in said wardrobes. Is this in fact the case on BA or was she just expressing an opinion as a fact?
I'm not quite sure what further guidance you needed or expected for a coat- hold it or wear it or sit on it or use the coat hook by your seat. The crew member gave you guidance to keep it on your lap.

Overhead lockers are prioritised for larger hand luggage- it's the only approved stowage for such hand luggage and must be used to stow larger hand luggage to meet safety compliance . Coats however can be worn/ held on to / hung on coat hook for taxi take off and landing, and any other phases of flight, and compliant with safety regulations.
navylad likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tjcxx
What do you mean by literally ?
I think it’s important to point out in case someone thought that you could only figuratively keep your coat on your lap.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
That said, in literally thousands and thousands of flights I have taken over the years
​​Since this thread has taken a turn for the "literal", just how many flights have you taken? Even at a healthy rate of 100 per year, that implies at least 40 years of flying at that pace, which is good even for FTer standards. Just curious
Old Nov 17, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Me. and My Gucci bag.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by navylad
The overhead bins are for hand luggage, of which you are entitled to one piece. In addition you are entitled to a personal item, which could be a coat, to go under the seat in front unless you are in an exit or bulkhead row. Pragmatically, coats are unofficially allowed, but should be placed in bins if space only after luggage. In most cases this will be the case. The CC may hang in the wardrobe if fitted and space is available but this can’t be guaranteed either. CC appears to have been correct in their actions with you IMHO. It may be worth being a bag in your pocket that you can place your coat in to go under the seat if you don’t want to put it on the coat hook for your seat.
I often travel with a hat or two in a paper shopping bag. I just wait until the door is closed, then tuck it up on top of the hand luggage. There's plenty of room for that kind of thing, but putting it up there before everyone has stowed their carryons is considered rude.
cosmo74 and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by jsn55
I often travel with a hat or two in a paper shopping bag. I just wait until the door is closed, then tuck it up on top of the hand luggage. There's plenty of room for that kind of thing, but putting it up there before everyone has stowed their carryons is considered rude.
Exactly, this is the pragmatic approach used by convention. This may technically be over your carry-on allowance, but let’s not repeat the multiple threads of late about how these aren’t actually enforced and sometimes the enforcement or lack thereof works in our favour.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 12:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Deltus
​​Since this thread has taken a turn for the "literal", just how many flights have you taken? Even at a healthy rate of 100 per year, that implies at least 40 years of flying at that pace, which is good even for FTer standards. Just curious
Some of us would consider that ‘part-time’ flying, literally.

You may be surprised just how many flights some of us take in a typical year. Business travel is often frequent short trips, amounting to significantly more than 100 flights a year.
orbitmic, Geordie405 and KARFA like this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Flying from Madrid to Heath Row this week on a "completely full" (sic.) flight, the hostess asked me to remove a coat I had put in the overseat wardrobe (or "bin", if you must) and keep it on my lap, before disappearing and providing no further guidance on what to do with it even when later asked.
But what particularly got my goat was her repeated officious insistence that "luggage has priority" in said wardrobes. Is this in fact the case on BA or was she just expressing an opinion as a fact?
I haven’t experienced this on BA before but with EasyJet this is common. I think this informal rule started to appear more often when the airlines started charging extra for hold luggage and passengers started bringing larger bags into the cabin…
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jsn55
...putting [a coat] up there before everyone has stowed their carryons is considered rude.
...rude, maybe, but with an over-riding element of stupidity. Unless, of course, the coat is intended as a mat upon which cases should be placed.

Surely this thread was started as a wind-up?
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I have to say there is often a PA message to this effect during boarding.
But how many people once seated then proactively engage in said announcement.. removing small articles and jackets from rammed bins ? Id say pretty low. Its all about early enforcement which is rare now.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
Where does it state that you can take a coat in addition to the two bags exactly? BA doesn’t restrict what clothing you wear (except in extremist), but if you are not wearing it, that is not included in your allowance. Now in pragmatic terms, BA will likely allow it, but could at any time stop doing so and would not be in breach on their consumer contract. Otherwise might as well carry a pile of clothes rather than pay for checked luggage ;-) yes tongue and cheek, but remember this incident? BA passenger arrested for wearing too many clothes

The OP asked for the rules, hence my reply, based on the actual rules and also highlighting what happens in reality.
The OP asked whether the cabin crew was correct in their instructions on where to place a coat, but you've made a separate point about hand baggage allowances.

The actual rules are here Baggage essentials | Information | British Airways

No, BA doesn't specifically say I can take a coat in addition to my two bags, but nor do they say I can take shoes - is there a difference? There's a lengthy list of restricted cabin items on the page linked above, and coats and shoes are not on that list

I am being slightly pedantic here but I've found recent hand baggage issues frustrating myself, and perhaps like you I do wish people followed the rules (and I wish BA enforced them better). I also quite agree that a coat shouldn't take up valuable overhead locker space which is the only place larger bags can go.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:36 am

If you need 'guidance' in a situation like this then you shouldn't be traveling. I'd have dealt with this the same way the crew member did onboard - I'm not prepared to allow a coat to be in an overhead locker when there is luggage still to be stowed. I think it's fair to say that no person gets 'priority' but certain things may do. Luggage and big bags go up, if there's any space left afterwards then small bags and coats if you really must.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.