Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by bluegartons
We are at the Thistle which is right by the pod system, so we were thinking to get that first thing.
The pods certainly will add to the the experience. Now they are up and running again, they should take you no time to get to the CCR. Thistle does have its downsides, but the pods outweigh that.
bluegartons likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I think youre stalking us! We are on the same flight 12th October staying at the same hotel (wanted to notch the pods).

Whilst it will be our 2nd First flight it will be our first from LHR
LOL - Hope we all have a fantastic time.

Are you also headed on a 2,000 mile road trip? I'll be amazed if you are doing what we are!!!
wrp96 and RockyRobin like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by bluegartons
We are at the Thistle which is right by the pod system, so we were thinking to get that first thing.
I would check at T5 in as early as possible just to get out of that dump, the Thistle Hotel…… horrible place

I hope you have a great flight in F
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:07 am

Its been a few years since Ive been on BA long haul, but another nice thing to do in the Concorde Room was to book a cabana so youve got your own dedicated and reserved private space to stash your things, take a shower, watch TV best way to book was always via YouFirst by email in advance.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
I would check at T5 in as early as possible just to get out of that dump, the Thistle Hotel…… horrible place

I hope you have a great flight in F
The Thistle is not the greatest Heathrow hotel but for the price it’s tremendous. This coming Friday it is costing me 68. If the weather is nice then it also has a terrace with a good view of the T5 end of the north runway which is a great place to enjoy some fish and chips and a few beers, watching aeroplanes take off and monitoring Flight Radar so you know where they are going. Throw in travelling by POD and it can’t be beaten! You can choose to park in POD parking or the hotel whichever suits best at the time.

The rooms and small and the corridors long and if you have loads of luggage there is no lift. But I only stay at Heathrow hotels to make it easier to catch the next morning’s flight, not for my holidays!
HIDDY, bluegartons and RockyRobin like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:24 am

Hopefully you have very nice first first experience. I had mine 2 months ago and was somewhat disappointed in the on board experience (crew related, seat on the A380 and food was fine).
bluegartons likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Remember that when you close your front door you are on holiday.

So enjoy the pod, enjoy the first wing, enjoy walking out of the First Lounge and across to the CCR and enjoy the CCR - oh and enjoy re-entering the secret door back to the CCR from the madness outside if you pop to a shop.

Don't be afraid to have LPGS for breakfast.

(I would say enjoy the hotel - but I will never stay there again)

And enjoy the flight!!!
bluegartons likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:27 am

I hope you and your wife will have a lovely time, Bluegartons. I typically head to the terrace, have a glass of champagne and some olives, then relax with my husband and enjoy the view. I see that your flight is early, so you may want to go straight to breakfast. If time allows, you could stroll across to the First Lounge for a quick comparison. I always choose Sofitel at terminal five as it is a reassuringly close hotel. The Concorde Room is a pleasant, cosy space, and I quite like the dining cubicles. Don't forget to report back to the British Airways FlyerTalk forum. 😑🙂

Last edited by AnaTravel; Sep 12, 2022 at 8:30 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Bring your Big Tasty meal onboard.

In all seriousness, you'll have a great time. LHR-ORD was my first flight in F and I loved it. Long enough to enjoy the experience but not crazy. A380 seat is lovely, too.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Hi - no we are staying in Chicago for a week.

My OH is very interested in a cross country trip one day.

Please come on here and let me know about your experience with the hotel, pods and the CCR. Timings etc, especially out to C gates

Bon voyage
bluegartons and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I think youre stalking us! We are on the same flight 12th October staying at the same hotel (wanted to notch the pods).

Whilst it will be our 2nd First flight it will be our first from LHR
i meant to post this before Rock flew, but I am still on the road in US.

the Thistle was fine for our needs, no complaints at all. A beer and watched the planes landing from the terrace. Up early and the pods were novel, efficient if a little uninspiring.
but from the moment we walked into First Wing our overwhelming sensation was one of serenity for the whole journey, being in a bubble. Seamless transition through the lounge to CCR. We had breakfast in a cubicle to experience it, but actually preferred sipping champagne on the terrace watching the chaos beneath us. Popped out of the secret door to the shops for something and fabulous to slip back into CCR.
flight went from C which took us 15 mins. Boarding no hassle and a warm welcome on board. We did say it was first experience, not sure it made much difference but staff were attentive. Space is amazing, we dined together, drank a very wide variety of wine, had the port and cheese and tried the malt which I hadnt had before. I have been lounging in the pyjamas in various hotel rooms round the Rockies.
Massive shock to the system being spat out at OHare! We loved our experience, and have managed to upgrade our flight back on BA048 from Seattle next week to F as well. Cannot wait! Any hints re Seattle-Tacoma?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Glad you enjoyed it. Regarding Seattle, use the Alaska lounge not the BA one which apparently is grotty
bluegartons likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Don't expect the CCR ambience from any of the lounges at Seattle. Overnights in F can be a little underwhelming in comparison to day flights, as it tends to be lights out fairly quickly and you don't quite get the same level of service. But you can get a good night's sleep and the flight is a reasonable length for fitting in a light evening meal, sleep, and breakfast.
bluegartons and TTmex like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Best thing coming back from SEA is that you can have a few hours of good sleep - makes all the difference! .
Enjoy your return trip.
bluegartons likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you got to experience buddy dining, it's the pest part of the A380 F experience and being somewhat phased out...albeit in favour of gate to gate IFE.

My main SEATAC tip is to marvel at the queue for Beecher's handmade cheese. I fear that may be possible for domestic passengers only but I've never seen a more popular airport retail store in the world. Other than that it's a case of managing expectations, although the view can be spectacular as you takeoff with Mt Rainier etc on the horizon. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.