Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II : Disruption to BA operations on and around Mon 19 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: allturnleft
BA’s known cancelled flights on Monday Sept 19th are listed below.
Adding this to the Wiki will allow others to update and add Sunday 18th & Tuesday 20th cancellations.
Please note night stop flights at outstations on Sunday 18th and Monday 19th will be impacted resulting in cancellations on Sunday night, Monday morning and Tuesday morning.

Domestic
BA1314 LHR - ABZ
BA1458 LHR - EDI
BA1482 LHR - GLA

BA1315 ABZ - LHR
BA1465 EDI - LHR
BA1487 GLA - LHR

CTA:
BA832 LHR - DUB
BA824 LHR - DUB
BA2774 LHR - JER
BA2778 LHR - JER

BA833 DUB - LHR
BA823 DUB - LHR
BA2767 JER - LHR
BA2775 JER - LHR

Europe:
BA454 LHR - AGP
BA428 LHR - AMS
BA434 LHR - AMS
BA440 LHR - AMS
BA442 LHR - AMS
BA786 LHR - ARN
BA476 LHR - BCN
BA486 LHR - BCN
BA986 LHR - BER
BA754 LHR - BSL
BA322 LHR - CDG
BA838 LHR - CPH
BA552 LHR - FCO
BA554 LHR - FCO
BA914 LHR - FRA
BA734 LHR - GVA
BA736 LHR - GVA
BA738 LHR - GVA
BA2726 LHR - IBZ
BA362 LHR - LYS
BA460 LHR - MAD
BA464 LHR - MAD
BA584 LHR - MXP
BA568 LHR - MXP
BA582 LHR - MXP
BA2610 LHR - NAP
BA346 LHR - NCE
BA348 LHR - NCE
BA352 LHR - NCE
BA2782 LHR - OPO
BA496 LHR - PMI
BA450 LHR - PMI
BA376 LHR -TLS
BA524 LHR - VCE
BA596 LHR - VCE
BA878 LHR - WAW
BA714 LHR - ZRH

BA455 AGP - LHR
BA429 AMS - LHR
BA435 AMS - LHR
BA441 AMS - LHR
BA443 AMS - LHR
BA771 ARN - LHR
BA483 BCN - LHR
BA487 BCN - LHR
BA987 BER - LHR
BA755 BSL - LHR
BA327 CDG - LHR
BA839 CPH - LHR
BA553 FCO - LHR
BA555 FCO - LHR
BA915 FRA - LHR
BA723 GVA - LHR
BA735 GVA - LHR
BA737 GVA - LHR
BA2727 IBZ - LHR
BA363 LYS - LHR
BA461 MAD - LHR
BA465 MAD - LHR
BA583 MXP - LHR
BA585 MXP - LHR
BA569 MXP - LHR
BA2611 NAP - LHR
BA341 NCE - LHR
BA347 NCE - LHR
BA349 NCE - LHR
BA2783 OPO - LHR
BA497 PMI - LHR
BA451 PMI - LHR
BA377 TLS - LHR
BA525 VCE - LHR
BA597 VCE - LHR
BA879 WAW - LHR
BA715 ZRH - LHR

Please update as more information becomes known

Sun 18
BA8757 BHD-LCY
Print Wikipost

Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II : Disruption to BA operations on and around Mon 19 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
This is worth a read..

https://www.universalweather.com/blo...on-london-ops/
salut0 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by stifle
What do you consider "normal" circumstances to be, and how do they differ from "normal" at present?
It would be normal if the current leadership had any grace.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xxxxx
It would be normal if the current leadership had any grace.
Is it possible we can stay clear of politics here? I am sure other than this issue you are an ardent supporter of the present leadership

(btw so far I haven’t seen any suggestion from anyone else on any forum that a full shutdown of airports should happen on Monday 19 September so I suspect it’s just you getting worked up about this).
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
“Where possible,” the FCDO advised, foreign leaders should arrive in the U.K. on commercial flights, warning that London Heathrow airport will not be available for private flight arrangements or aircraft parking. Those leaders insisting on traveling by private jet should head for “less busy airports” around London, the FCDO added.

T
he use of helicopter transfers between airports and venues has been banned “due to the number of flights operating at this time,” the department said.

And in a message all-too-familiar to weary passengers using U.K. airports this year, the FCDO also warned that “unforeseen events may require commercial and private flights to divert from the intended airport of arrival.”
From leaked official documents, reported here: https://www.politico.eu/article/quee...beths-funeral/

Sounds like flying on the day will be fine, but before and after may be messy...
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:56 am

Has nobody foreseen that staff won’t turn up to work en-masse just like Ascot and Wimbledon? Only on a larger scale.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There may be a few delays, and who knows, perhaps an hour late into SJC? I wouldn't worry about it. You just need to get to LHR in good time. There are many ways to the Bay area.
Exactly - that is my point - with plenty of ways to skin this proverbial cat, I was hoping to sort out the solution, while I could, in slow time rather than join the mad rush when everyone (and BA) suddenly realise that there is a problem.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by onaswan
Exactly - that is my point - with plenty of ways to skin this proverbial cat, I was hoping to sort out the solution, while I could, in slow time rather than join the mad rush when everyone (and BA) suddenly realise that there is a problem.
But as has been noted several times now, it is unlikely to noticeably disrupt LHR anyway. I don't happen to be travelling next Monday, but if I was I wouldn't really be concerned.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
the reality is all airports will be used, and this will include LHR and LGW given the number of heads of states.

If a delay can’t be tolerated, what would the OP do if there was a delay for another reason? They may wish to change flights anyway, but that will likely incur a change fee which BA is unlikely to waiver unless they know there will definitely be a delay/cancellation.
If I were delayed for an unforeseen reason, so be it - unforeseen stuff happens and has to be dealt with. My point is that if we know that there is going to be a problem, let's try to mitigate it. Knowing that there is a potential glitch, highlighting it and then falling foul of it (and arriving in SJC the following day - cocking up plans) should not be tolerated.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:38 am

As far as I understand you are on a direct LHR-SJC flight on Monday. There is no reason whatsoever to think that the flight is in any danger of being cancelled on Monday due to the funeral. Why would it be? LHR isn't taking VIP flights. Even if it was taking a few, LHR is not at capacity atm so a few extra flights coming in and going off to the Royal Suite on the T4 side won't impact any other commercial flights. Also the only VIP flight that does come with significant disruption (AF1) won't be coming to LHR.
TedToToe and TTmex like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
As far as I understand you are on a direct LHR-SJC flight on Monday. There is no reason whatsoever to think that the flight is in any danger of being cancelled on Monday due to the funeral. Why would it be? LHR isn't taking VIP flights. Even if it was taking a few, LHR is not at capacity atm so a few extra flights coming in and going off to the Royal Suite on the T4 side won't impact any other commercial flights. Also the only VIP flight that does come with significant disruption (AF1) won't be coming to LHR.
Thanks, KARFA. Mind is at rest! My next challenge is accommodating Mrs Onaswan who wants to watch the funeral - we'll just have to get to LHR (really) early and watch it there.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm sure there will be an announcement soon in terms of any impact. If I was travelling on Wednesday, or next Monday I'd probably keep an eye out.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by Heathrow Tower; Sep 12, 2022 at 4:56 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Looks like the FCO have decided to pre-empt the sort of country that likes to send its leader in a private aircraft and demand closed airspace around it to land at a major airport, then a personal motorcade around the city. That augers well for traffic congestion, on ground and in air.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
As I seem to be on the Heathrow VIP service mailing list, they emailed out to say they aren't accepting any bookings from 13 September which I presume is to ensure that only the right type of VIP gets accommodated over the coming period.

This, to me, reinforces your comment that a reduced number of VIPs will be passing through LHR so any impact is going to be minimised and probably cause less hassle than usual. I would expect the super-duper VIPs will end up in Northolt or Stanstead.
wrp96 and KARFA like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Originally Posted by beardedgeologist
I recall flying out on the day of Diana's funeral (BA to VRN from LGW). At some point on that day there was a national 2 minutes silence which was pretty much our scheduled departure time.

Operationally at LGW that meant that not only were there no take-offs or landings allowed during that 2 mins silence, also no taxiing or other movements were allowed. Aircraft were prevented from starting taxiing in the ~20 minutes leading up to the 2 mins silence so that no aircraft would be "mid taxi". This meant that essentially all aircraft due to depart around that time where held at their gates until after the 2 minutes silence. IIRC, and our aircraft was about 2 hours delayed in taking off.

LHR and LGW (and other UK airports) may (or may) operate similar procedures this time.
There will be a national 1 minute silence at 8:00pm on Sunday, the day before the funeral.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:36 am

As Heathrow Tower has mentioned more details will follow in due course.
The last time a Full State Funeral was held in the UK, Heathrow was still more or less quieter than it was in the height of Covid. Crews have been sent the following this evening, as yet we know nothing in terms of specific restrictions. The last time and Royal influence over airspace occurred that I recall was the Wedding of the Sussexes. We were on easterlies that day and delaying action taken in the OCK hold for us as per the NOTAM that advised no overflight during the times advised (about 30 mins iirc). Now as it happened the bride was late and anything ceremonial militarily and/or royal is timed to the second, so ATC duly allowed us out to go home. A 744 led and we were number two in stream…..you can just faintly hear the 747 as Meghan was walking up the steps of St George’s. Bride’s prerogative and all that, the sound of British Rolls Royce accompanied her ascent.

Good Evening All,
Over the coming days and leading up to the State Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, we are expecting disruption which may affect all means of travel to work. Specifically, we are expecting disruption on Wednesday, 14 Sep and Monday 19Sep. This may affect HOTAC availability and lead to disruption to the flying programme and road closures. We are awaiting more specific details and we will keep you updated……

Last edited by Sigwx; Sep 13, 2022 at 2:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.