Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II : Disruption to BA operations on and around Mon 19 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: allturnleft
BA’s known cancelled flights on Monday Sept 19th are listed below.
Adding this to the Wiki will allow others to update and add Sunday 18th & Tuesday 20th cancellations.
Please note night stop flights at outstations on Sunday 18th and Monday 19th will be impacted resulting in cancellations on Sunday night, Monday morning and Tuesday morning.

Domestic
BA1314 LHR - ABZ
BA1458 LHR - EDI
BA1482 LHR - GLA

BA1315 ABZ - LHR
BA1465 EDI - LHR
BA1487 GLA - LHR

CTA:
BA832 LHR - DUB
BA824 LHR - DUB
BA2774 LHR - JER
BA2778 LHR - JER

BA833 DUB - LHR
BA823 DUB - LHR
BA2767 JER - LHR
BA2775 JER - LHR

Europe:
BA454 LHR - AGP
BA428 LHR - AMS
BA434 LHR - AMS
BA440 LHR - AMS
BA442 LHR - AMS
BA786 LHR - ARN
BA476 LHR - BCN
BA486 LHR - BCN
BA986 LHR - BER
BA754 LHR - BSL
BA322 LHR - CDG
BA838 LHR - CPH
BA552 LHR - FCO
BA554 LHR - FCO
BA914 LHR - FRA
BA734 LHR - GVA
BA736 LHR - GVA
BA738 LHR - GVA
BA2726 LHR - IBZ
BA362 LHR - LYS
BA460 LHR - MAD
BA464 LHR - MAD
BA584 LHR - MXP
BA568 LHR - MXP
BA582 LHR - MXP
BA2610 LHR - NAP
BA346 LHR - NCE
BA348 LHR - NCE
BA352 LHR - NCE
BA2782 LHR - OPO
BA496 LHR - PMI
BA450 LHR - PMI
BA376 LHR -TLS
BA524 LHR - VCE
BA596 LHR - VCE
BA878 LHR - WAW
BA714 LHR - ZRH

BA455 AGP - LHR
BA429 AMS - LHR
BA435 AMS - LHR
BA441 AMS - LHR
BA443 AMS - LHR
BA771 ARN - LHR
BA483 BCN - LHR
BA487 BCN - LHR
BA987 BER - LHR
BA755 BSL - LHR
BA327 CDG - LHR
BA839 CPH - LHR
BA553 FCO - LHR
BA555 FCO - LHR
BA915 FRA - LHR
BA723 GVA - LHR
BA735 GVA - LHR
BA737 GVA - LHR
BA2727 IBZ - LHR
BA363 LYS - LHR
BA461 MAD - LHR
BA465 MAD - LHR
BA583 MXP - LHR
BA585 MXP - LHR
BA569 MXP - LHR
BA2611 NAP - LHR
BA341 NCE - LHR
BA347 NCE - LHR
BA349 NCE - LHR
BA2783 OPO - LHR
BA497 PMI - LHR
BA451 PMI - LHR
BA377 TLS - LHR
BA525 VCE - LHR
BA597 VCE - LHR
BA879 WAW - LHR
BA715 ZRH - LHR

Please update as more information becomes known

Sun 18
BA8757 BHD-LCY
Print Wikipost

Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II : Disruption to BA operations on and around Mon 19 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think my approach would be different. Given the OTA issue, having made a single attempt with Expedia to get a same day replacement flight and carefully noted why BA cannot offer the services duly offered, I would rebook myself and reclaim later, expecting it to go to MCOL. Possibly naming both BA and Expedia as defendants. So long as you have a clear refusal to rebook on a viable set of dates, whether there were alternatives available, means not only are BA not easily able to avoid the consequences but they are also on the hook for EC261 delay compensation even if it is extraordinary circumstances, given the CJEU's ruling against TAP.
That's a tempting option, and indeed, the delay compensation sort of adds to the stakes and rebooking what I want now would have the advantage of at least temporarily halting the aggravation/annoyance and ensuring I arrive when I would ideally prefer to.

There are a couple of limits. One is that obviously the cost of the rebooked ticket (last minute, J, Latin America!) is high, and I may not get as good flights as what I currently have on the way back. I'm also quite law-suit averse (it's a stressful and time consuming process whichever way you look at it), and as you rightly point out, one might need to cite both BA and Expedia as they may well shoot back and forth otherwise! I'm also not sure how strong my "hard" evidence is as much of the discussion with Expedia has been on chats (though I presume they can produce those) and phone. I do have one more specific email from them which goes as follows, do you think that would be a clear enough refusal?:

"Dear orbitmic,

We have tried unable to reach you. we spoke with the airline and they said they cannot give AAxxx, however they have provided this option below or full refund.

Please let us know so accordingly we can request to airline.

18 SEP 2022
BA 377 -- TLS - LHR 0705 0805
BA xxx -- LHR - xxx xxxx xxxx

Thank you."

One thing to note is that the itineraries discussed are on the 18th as the 19th invariably lead to arriving the next day (unless again they accept AF, KL, etc) so it is itineraries that arrive (rather than leave) on the same day as originally booked and not sure if that is what one needs to show.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by prof
Honestly, that the plans of 40,000 people are being thrown into total disorder for this event is just not acceptable. Stopping departures or briefly holding inbound traffic to allow a minute or two of silence I can understand. But to stop all departures for almost two hours from one of the busiest international airports in the world is out of all proportion to the marginal benefit achieved. It’s not just the immediate impact at LHR—people will miss onward connections at other airports, they will get home or to work late, have to negotiate with BA or other airlines (who don’t answer phones these days), scramble to find hotels, find themselves sleeping on airport departure lounge benches.
I think you misjudge the mood of the nation, sir. I imagine that should a sentiment such as yours hit the mainstream media then you may feel somewhat isolated, but still you are entitled to your opinion, just don’t expect it to be popular or to not come over as precious and entitled.
HIDDY, vanmunchen, aks120 and 17 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Honestly, that the plans of 40,000 people are being thrown into total disorder for this event is just not acceptable. Stopping departures or briefly holding inbound traffic to allow a minute or two of silence I can understand. But to stop all departures for almost two hours from one of the busiest international airports in the world is out of all proportion to the marginal benefit achieved. It’s not just the immediate impact at LHR—people will miss onward connections at other airports, they will get home or to work late, have to negotiate with BA or other airlines (who don’t answer phones these days), scramble to find hotels, find themselves sleeping on airport departure lounge benches.
The nation is saying farewell to a towering and greatly loved head of state the likes of whom we will never see again. It will be one of the greatest gatherings of royalty, presidents and prime ministers the world has ever seen. There will be a million people along the route watching in respectful silence and hundreds of millions watching on TV. Keeping the occasion free of aircraft noise is far more than a "marginal" benefit.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
I think you misjudge the mood of the nation, sir. I imagine that should a sentiment such as yours hit the mainstream media then you may feel somewhat isolated, but still you are entitled to your opinion, just don’t expect it to be popular or to not come over as precious and entitled.
I don't underestimate your nation's mournful mood, nor do I question it for a moment. LHR is, however, not just a provincial depot but a major international transport hub. And anyway I'm talking about the proportionality of the response; briefly suspending takeoffs and landings to allow moments of silence is one thing; stopping all takeoffs for almost two hours is another. How many thousands of people are going to get to LHR and find themselves stranded without even the hope of a local hotel because BA or other airlines never informed them that their onward flights have been canceled? You may think it's worth imposing that level of stress on individuals or families with young children; I don't.

And no, this isn't about me: as a "normal" FT user, I follow things closely enough to see trouble coming and can proactively change flights (never having received notice from BA that my connecting flight was canceled). Orbitmic is just as experienced an FT user but look at his/her travails. The vast majority of travelers are just going to show up and find themselves stuck. I don't think that's right.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:12 am

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Gotta say....this is not some "normal" operational situation. People who do not realize there is something historical going on that could affect their flights would be the rare pax and most surely know to check when travelling through any British airport right now. It is not up to Heathrow or any airport in the UK right now to attempt to keep a status quo....they are British entities. If I were affected, it would be inconvenient but I would also realize I've had some days to plan and try to minimize the impact. It isn't a decision made with no warning and only a bit of attention to world events would alert one.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
This is getting off-topic now, but I've come to learn that most people don't really plan in advance or think about things in all that much detail. I'm sure quite a lot of people will turn up at their local supermarket on Monday and be surprised that it's not open.
LETTERBOY, wrp96 and NoizeBoy like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kileysmom
If I were affected, it would be inconvenient but I would also realize I've had some days to plan and try to minimize the impact. It isn't a decision made with no warning and only a bit of attention to world events would alert one.
The limit of your argument is that many of us have tried to be proactive and plan during those days to minimise those disruptions, and BA are choosing not to enable this.

you can’t have it both ways: either small manageable infrastructural adaptations can enable a dignified ceremony enabling millions of people to say a joint and proper farewell to a figure that was very meaningful to them; or that ceremony requires far more significant disruption in services in which case it is not unreasonable to expect that an airline will acknowledge the magnitude of the impact on its operations and facilitate that affected passengers should be helped to complete their travels either before or after whichever is least inconvenient to them or through other routings.

i would say that this thread is about those disruptions on ba specifically, and on how Ba specifically handles them (the other more fundamental discussions are of course important but ft has - not unwisely - decided to locate them elsewhere as they are not Ba specific).

a dignified and respectful national mourning and funeral does not require that an airline should expect passengers affected be stranded for 48 hours, many stuck in a transit point which hospitality capacity is precisely needed for more important matters when they could reroute them a day before or on other airlines. However trivial (and for the record, it is the very nature of flyertalk to focus on trivial transportation matters in the face of far more serious matters including war, poverty, and major disasters) this is all of the scope this thread can probably offer.
prof, Kgmm77, zanderblue and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Albeit your problem seem more about trying to deal with an OTA and their inability to offer alternatives under the standard guidelines rather than the airline wanting to strand you for 48 hours.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:10 am

Programs: DL.HH,IHG,
Originally Posted by Igene
I’m *scheduled* on AA81 out at 15:15 on 19 Sept. Not looking good, delayed to 16:45 at minimum. That makes it real tough to make y DFW-LAX connection

I’m trying to be proactive, no word from AA at this point. looked at MAN to LAX or DFW but they all connect to LHR

Would be great to have AA just bring the flight forward 30 minutes or so
I am on the same flight AA 81
Igene likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Albeit your problem seem more about trying to deal with an OTA and their inability to offer alternatives under the standard guidelines rather than the airline wanting to strand you for 48 hours.
Orbitmic is not saying that the airline wants to strand people. The point is that BA at least (I don't know about other airlines) is canceling flights and making other schedule changes without notifying passengers, let alone giving them straightforward workarounds. I never received notice that BA canceled my flight; when I tried to call the Gold line, I got a message saying that the call center is so backed up that there isn't even a queue. This leaves passengers to their own devices. FT regulars may well know the various workarounds (although I confess I don't know what an OTA is); the vast majority of people will not. Absent appropriate notification and the appropriate mechanisms to facilitate making changes to bookings--which simply do not exist, given BA's fragile IT infrastructure and its overwhelmed call centers--people will find themselves stranded at LHR without even hope of a hotel for the night of the 19th (most are sold out; the HGI near Hatton Cross was asking $700 for the night last time I looked). That is an unreasonable imposition on thousands of people who don't think about what stage of history they happen to be witnessing but rather about how to get from point A to point B; mourning your queen's passing does not justify the imposition. And as orbitmic points out, these are not mutually exclusive possibilities.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:34 am

Orbitmic is not saying that the airline wants to strand people. The point is that BA at least (I don't know about other airlines) is canceling flights and making other schedule changes without notifying passengers, let alone giving them straightforward workarounds. I never received notice that BA canceled my flight; when I tried to call the Gold line, I got a message saying that the call center is so backed up that there isn't even a queue. This leaves passengers to their own devices. FT regulars may well know the various workarounds (although I confess I don't know what an OTA is); the vast majority of people will not. Absent appropriate notification and the appropriate mechanisms to facilitate making changes to bookings--which simply do not exist, given BA's fragile IT infrastructure and its overwhelmed call centers--people will find themselves stranded at LHR without even hope of a hotel for the night of the 19th (most are sold out; the HGI near Hatton Cross was asking $700 for the night last time I looked). That is an unreasonable imposition on thousands of people who don't think about what stage of history they happen to be witnessing but rather about how to get from point A to point B; mourning your queen's passing does not justify the imposition. And as orbitmic points out, these are not mutually exclusive possibilities.
I don’t think the Queen was responsible for BA IT either, so your beef very much seems to be with the airline here.

As for describing this event as an “unreasonable imposition” - well that does show a lack of comprehension what this weeks events mean really.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don’t think the Queen was responsible for BA IT either, so your beef very much seems to be with the airline here.

As for describing this event as an “unreasonable imposition” - well that does show a lack of comprehension what this weeks events mean really.
I comprehend what the events mean to you. I still disagree with the imposition on what is, after all, an international traveling public.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:48 am

I comprehend what the events mean to you. I still disagree with the imposition on what is, after all, an international traveling public.
You don't think this comes across as a bit self entitled and self absorbed, and really at odds with the enormity of the death of the head of state? I mean god forbid your travel plans could be impacted by such a trivial event.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:56 am
formerly JackDann

Maybe next time you can look to transit through a different country?

If I was to have my travel plans thrown in the air due to the death of the head of state at any nation in the world I would be completely understanding and respectful. Then again, maybe that’s just my upbringing and the way of a majority of British people.

Seriously, get a grip. Someone may be able to elaborate but is this far more than just a ‘noise’ thing anyway? I’m sure that flight paths are often altered etc when there are large events.
vanmunchen and kileysmom like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: Silver,
Which brings me back to my reason for starting this thread. I knew that the late Queen's funeral was announced to be on Monday 19th. Call me a clairvoyant, but I had an inkling that there might be a delay or two in the flight operation at LHR on that day and it might have impacted my flight plans. Being a relatively seasoned traveler, I immediately mapped out, in my head, some re-routing / re-timing options to avoid my being caught up in the inevitable chaos and, hey who knows, alleviate BA's problems (in a minuscule way) by getting me 'out of the way' before the big day. (I was proposing changing flight to the 18th).
I really wanted to stop a crisis (for me) happening by a bit of proactive planning. Unfortunately, BA's "computer, said no". As it happens, my flight (LHR-SJC) is still showing as running (with a minor time change). Apologies for taking so long to get to the point, but here it comes: We (most of the nation) knew that there would be disruption on the 19th, so why didn't BA accommodate passengers' proposed flight changes earlier, in order to offset (if only on a tiny scale) the inevitable avalanche of issues that a day of national mourning, major ceremonies east and west of the runway thresholds and, as noted by a few posters, some staff 'throwing sickies'?
I'll let you know how / if my flight goes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.