Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II : Disruption to BA operations on and around Mon 19 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: allturnleft
BA’s known cancelled flights on Monday Sept 19th are listed below.
Adding this to the Wiki will allow others to update and add Sunday 18th & Tuesday 20th cancellations.
Please note night stop flights at outstations on Sunday 18th and Monday 19th will be impacted resulting in cancellations on Sunday night, Monday morning and Tuesday morning.

Domestic
BA1314 LHR - ABZ
BA1458 LHR - EDI
BA1482 LHR - GLA

BA1315 ABZ - LHR
BA1465 EDI - LHR
BA1487 GLA - LHR

CTA:
BA832 LHR - DUB
BA824 LHR - DUB
BA2774 LHR - JER
BA2778 LHR - JER

BA833 DUB - LHR
BA823 DUB - LHR
BA2767 JER - LHR
BA2775 JER - LHR

Europe:
BA454 LHR - AGP
BA428 LHR - AMS
BA434 LHR - AMS
BA440 LHR - AMS
BA442 LHR - AMS
BA786 LHR - ARN
BA476 LHR - BCN
BA486 LHR - BCN
BA986 LHR - BER
BA754 LHR - BSL
BA322 LHR - CDG
BA838 LHR - CPH
BA552 LHR - FCO
BA554 LHR - FCO
BA914 LHR - FRA
BA734 LHR - GVA
BA736 LHR - GVA
BA738 LHR - GVA
BA2726 LHR - IBZ
BA362 LHR - LYS
BA460 LHR - MAD
BA464 LHR - MAD
BA584 LHR - MXP
BA568 LHR - MXP
BA582 LHR - MXP
BA2610 LHR - NAP
BA346 LHR - NCE
BA348 LHR - NCE
BA352 LHR - NCE
BA2782 LHR - OPO
BA496 LHR - PMI
BA450 LHR - PMI
BA376 LHR -TLS
BA524 LHR - VCE
BA596 LHR - VCE
BA878 LHR - WAW
BA714 LHR - ZRH

BA455 AGP - LHR
BA429 AMS - LHR
BA435 AMS - LHR
BA441 AMS - LHR
BA443 AMS - LHR
BA771 ARN - LHR
BA483 BCN - LHR
BA487 BCN - LHR
BA987 BER - LHR
BA755 BSL - LHR
BA327 CDG - LHR
BA839 CPH - LHR
BA553 FCO - LHR
BA555 FCO - LHR
BA915 FRA - LHR
BA723 GVA - LHR
BA735 GVA - LHR
BA737 GVA - LHR
BA2727 IBZ - LHR
BA363 LYS - LHR
BA461 MAD - LHR
BA465 MAD - LHR
BA583 MXP - LHR
BA585 MXP - LHR
BA569 MXP - LHR
BA2611 NAP - LHR
BA341 NCE - LHR
BA347 NCE - LHR
BA349 NCE - LHR
BA2783 OPO - LHR
BA497 PMI - LHR
BA451 PMI - LHR
BA377 TLS - LHR
BA525 VCE - LHR
BA597 VCE - LHR
BA879 WAW - LHR
BA715 ZRH - LHR

Please update as more information becomes known

Sun 18
BA8757 BHD-LCY
Print Wikipost

Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II : Disruption to BA operations on and around Mon 19 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:08 am

As the wind is forecast to be from the west, taking off shouldn’t cause a noise problem (until the coffin reaches Windsor), and as for approaching aircraft - just turn the engines off and glide the final approach….

An Air TransatAirbus A330 ran out of fuel while flying across the North Atlantic, from Toronto to Lisbon. The crew glided the aircraft over 121 kilometres (75 mi) and made a deadstick landing at a military air basein the Azores.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
I have probably missed it mentioned above but flights are also being retimed, my LHR-NCL has been brought forward 1 hour.

Hopefully no delay to my first flight, or cancellation all together, otherwise I will be running through connections again.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 7:41 am

Update: Travel Disruption - 19 September 2022

Update: Travel Disruption - 19 September 2022

Heathrow, NATS and airlines are supporting the ceremonial aspects for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth Il's State Funeral at Westminster Abbey and the

Committal Service at Windsor Castle on Monday 19September 2022.

As a mark of respect, operations to and from the airport will be subject to appropriate changes in order to avoid noise disturbance at certain locations at specific times on Monday.

Heathrow and airlines are working closely with NATS to minimise the impact of these restrictions on passengers. In order to observe these moments on Monday, airlines will need to adjust their schedules accordingly, which will mean some changes to flights.

Passengers affected by these changes will be contacted directly by their airlines about their travel plans and the options available to them. Passengers who have been notified that their flight has been cancelled, and/or do not have a confirmed seat on a flight, should not turn up to the airport.

Roads around the airport are expected to be
extremely busy and passengers are encouraged to avoid travelling by car to the airport, and to use public transport instead. Please see tfl.gov.uk for the latest updates on road impacts around the airport.

We apologise in advance for the inconvenience some colleagues and passengers will experience as a result of these exceptional circumstances.

Changes at the airport

Throughout the period of national mourning, furtherchanges can be expected at the airport, including:

- Observing the National Moment of Reflection with a one-minute silence at 20:00 on Sunday 18
September.

- Observing the National Moment of Reflection with a two-minute silence on Monday 19 September

- Showing Her Majesty The Queen's funeral on screens at the airport on Monday 19 September.

- Closing nonessential shops on Monday 19
September. (Essential retailers, such as WHSmith, Boots and Travelex, and restaurants, cafes and pubs will remain open.)

Travelling to the airport

To facilitate the procession of Her Majesty The Queen's coffin to St George's Chapel in Windsor on Monday 19 September, local roads will be impacted and closed around Heathrow during the day.

The below road closures and their timings are subject to change, but we can currently advise of the following:

- The A4 East of the A30 will close at 10:00 - The A4 will be shut in both directions from South Kensington all the way to Henlys Roundabout in Cranford.

- The A30 by Heathrow will close at 11:00 - This will be between Henlys Roundabout (Cranford where the A4 meets the A30) and Runnymede Roundabout (where the A30 meets the A308).

- Access to Terminal 4 via the A30 and Hatton Cross will be closed for the duration.

- Both roads will reopen once the procession has passed, local authority has cleared the road and the police determine it is safe to do so.

- M4 J1-3 will also be closed for a period of time • We are awaiting further information.

- All buses that operate via these roads or crossing these roads will also be impacted.

Therefore, colleagues and passengers travelling to the airport are strongly advised to use alternative routes such as the Piccadilly and Elizabeth Lines,

which will be operating regular services on Monday, or Heathrow Express, which will be running additional services.

Please see tfl.gov.uk for the latest updates on road impacts on Monday 19 September.

Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: AA: EXP Delta: DM
Originally Posted by golfmad
Both AA and BA have direct flights to LAX from LHR that are still operating on Monday. I would try to get switched to one of those. If you booked it on AA then call AA. They will put you in a call queue and call you back.
I’m *scheduled* on AA81 out at 15:15 on 19 Sept. Not looking good, delayed to 16:45 at minimum. That makes it real tough to make y DFW-LAX connection

I’m trying to be proactive, no word from AA at this point. looked at MAN to LAX or DFW but they all connect to LHR

Would be great to have AA just bring the flight forward 30 minutes or so
prof likes this.

Last edited by Igene; Sep 16, 2022 at 9:06 am
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
BA's level of incompetence mixed with Expedia's level of incompetence reach flabbergasting levels. BA are trying to argue that I would need to accept a rerouting from TLS instead of NCE on a different day (8 hours away from Nice), accept a rerouting 4 days later than booked or a refund.

Expedia are useless because they are not aware of the airline's obligation so continuously coming back to me with what the airline says. Note that there are a dozen itineraries available in J (as booked) between my city pairs, including on IB and AA (I did not ask AF, KL, LH, etc but all those would also be available and in many ways shorter/more convenient).

BA (according to Expedia) then proceeded to unilaterally delete the whole outbound from my itinerary without my agreement, so i have effectively wasted several hours just to ask them to note that I refuse both ridiculous rerouting offered and cancellation/refund so will wait till the 24 hour kicks in, go to the airport where hopefully they will be more accommodating albeit at a much higher cost for BA and with a lot of availability having continued to disappear in the meantime...).

Oh and of course, this whole mess happened because BA was incapable to accessing availability that every OTA on the planet was offering but not the airline itself (they could only offer full fare J for no particular reason even though I was available for all required segments including when they checked, but the booking would default back to J when they would try to book it for me) so that I had to go through an OTA or spend an extra £4k for the "pleasure" of booking direct...

Useless, useless, useless...
prof likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Gee it does sound like you have been royally (sorry …..!) messed around orbitmic, and I cannot recall - in my own time here on FT - hearing you quite as frustrated and thoroughly irritated as this. I imagine your current mood is somewhat less benign than in the very early stages of the thread when you wrote “I'm flying on the 19th too and am expecting it to be essentially business as usual in airline terms”

Do hope you can navigate your way to something vaguely acceptable. Best of luck, let us know how things pan out.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by subject2load
Gee it does sound like you have been royally (sorry …..!) messed around orbitmic, and I cannot recall - in my own time here on FT - hearing you quite as frustrated and thoroughly irritated as this. I imagine your current mood is somewhat less benign than in the very early stages of the thread when you wrote “I'm flying on the 19th too and am expecting it to be essentially business as usual in airline terms”

Do hope you can navigate your way to something vaguely acceptable. Best of luck, let us know how things pan out.
Ahah, yes, I raised my voice on the phone earlier, which is something I do not recall having done since about 1994 following a particularly egregious bank mess up. Let's put it that way, I must have looked sufficiently upset that when I took a break to go to my favourite patisserie to buy a cake as a minor compensation for the frustration, the patissiere (to whom I had obviously not mentioned anything about my Kafkaesque afternoon discussions) insisted on offering me the cake on the grounds that "it is the last one [of what I wanted] and not as pretty as usual" despite my insistence to pay!

Now if only they could fly planes....

I've given up on Expedia and on the hope of a decent rerouting after a last triangular discussion led the BA trade support (not the UK number which was apparently closed but another) to offer an even more ridiculous rerouting about 5 days later (it is an 8 day trip to Latin America for work).

My current plan to wait till exactly 24 hours before my flight was due to leave, call GGL to see if they will help, and if they don't continue to refuse silly proposals and make my way to the airport at the normal time and see what the subcontractors will do then. The silly thing is that any of the solutions that I proposed (again, including AA and IB, on their own or as final segment paired with BA) whilst significantly lengthening my trip would have enabled me to arrive on time for work. However, by the time the final 24 hour start, the last plane to LHR or MAD which would have enabled me to still arrive when I needed will have left so that whatever they offer then will make me arrive late unless they accept to put me on AF, KL, or something similar.

It's kafkaian because both they and I know that EC261 mandates that they offer me a same day trip if available even on other airlines, and they refuse the options that would have enabled them to route me on IAG metal now which would be more convenient to me and less expensive to them. But hey, little point in trying to find some logic there. I'll have some choice words to describe the trade support people for months to come
prof, Jimmie76, Kgmm77 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think my approach would be different. Given the OTA issue, having made a single attempt with Expedia to get a same day replacement flight and carefully noted why BA cannot offer the services duly offered, I would rebook myself and reclaim later, expecting it to go to MCOL. Possibly naming both BA and Expedia as defendants. So long as you have a clear refusal to rebook on a viable set of dates, whether there were alternatives available, means not only are BA not easily able to avoid the consequences but they are also on the hook for EC261 delay compensation even if it is extraordinary circumstances, given the CJEU's ruling against TAP.
Jimmie76, ExpatExp, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:47 pm

Honestly, that the plans of 40,000 people are being thrown into total disorder for this event is just not acceptable. Stopping departures or briefly holding inbound traffic to allow a minute or two of silence I can understand. But to stop all departures for almost two hours from one of the busiest international airports in the world is out of all proportion to the marginal benefit achieved. It’s not just the immediate impact at LHR—people will miss onward connections at other airports, they will get home or to work late, have to negotiate with BA or other airlines (who don’t answer phones these days), scramble to find hotels, find themselves sleeping on airport departure lounge benches.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 1:54 pm

I guess orbitmic’s catalogue of frustrating experiences during the course of the day encapsulates an often-gaping chasm between the customary headline narrative (if your booked flight is disrupted ….don’t worry, we’ll be in touch to sort things out for you ….. ) and the harsh reality of what can actually happen when it comes to the crunch.

In far too many cases it is akin to going into battle - a battle for your rights ! - but with no guarantee of a fair result. It really shouldn’t be this way.
prof and orbitmic like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:02 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by prof
Honestly, that the plans of 40,000 people are being thrown into total disorder for this event is just not acceptable. Stopping departures or briefly holding inbound traffic to allow a minute or two of silence I can understand. But to stop all departures for almost two hours from one of the busiest international airports in the world is out of all proportion to the marginal benefit achieved. It’s not just the immediate impact at LHR—people will miss onward connections at other airports, they will get home or to work late, have to negotiate with BA or other airlines (who don’t answer phones these days), scramble to find hotels, find themselves sleeping on airport departure lounge benches.
If airlines could provide decent customer service it would go some way to easing the disruption caused. But unfortunately, this is one of those things where people are gonna have to suck it up and deal with it as a one off event - Although of course complaints about poor service are understandable.
prof and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by prof
The past few days have reminded me how backwards the UK is as a country. Cancelling flights after the summer of chaos should not be acceptable.
prof, dajdavies, strowger and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by JD1905
If airlines could provide decent customer service it would go some way to easing the disruption caused………….
As basic as this sounds, it is - in essence - the heart of the issue.

All too often, customers are accorded little recognition of the fact that their carefully-laid travel plans have already been messed up (sometimes unavoidably so, it must be said) and hence have a reasonable expectation of a fairly prompt, satisfactory, fix - or at least some form of acceptable compromise.

BA are of course far from alone in adding to the passenger’s stress factor by the all-too-familiar creation of yet further obstacles, rather than maximum possible effort to minimise effects of any pre-existing disruption. In truth, many airlines (and indeed airports) fall way short in such scenarios. But it is BA whose CEO wrote to customers back in January promising a ‘personal commitment’ to ‘build a better BA’.
prof likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load
. But it is BA whose CEO wrote to customers back in January promising a ‘personal commitment’ to ‘build a better BA’.
Ah but did he say when he’s doing that?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
I take the First wing (both security + lounge) will operate as normal from 5 am onwards on Monday? I have a 9:45a to LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.