Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BALPA may ballot members on industrial action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BALPA may ballot members on industrial action

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
I have some sympathy for all these Unionised workers fighting for better remuneration at the expense/inconvenience of the general Public and their Employers.

Could someone direct me to the OAPs Union website, where we (the ones without any leverage) can seek more money by strike action? Or do we just form an orderly queue at the Pension Office, or the Crematorium?
Dont forget our 300 bung in November that Rishi is giving us to suppliment our meager OAP.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by SW7London
Agree. I wonder though if Doyle actually has much say/influence here in these negotiations or is he just doing what he's told by Luis Gallego?

Its an odd setup for sure, not sure how much control/discretion Doyle has compared to other airline CEOs.
He’s a business unit CEO in a matrixed organisation. The likely reality is that he has responsibility for the negotiation, influence but not final decision-making power on the company position, and full responsibility for any blame if it goes wrong. It’s an unenviable position to be in, but was the same for his predecessor (and likely Keith Williams before that), so he should have known what he was signing up for.

As always, these situations are about leverage. BA/IAG had it with previous industrial disputes, it doesn’t so much now. I wonder what will happen next with cabin crew, always thought that Walsh’s cherished ambition to get rid of the legacy fleets could come back to bite the company, a single crew fleet reduces the opportunity to divide and conquer, especially when there isn’t an oversupply of labour.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Hes a business unit CEO in a matrixed organisation. The likely reality is that he has responsibility for the negotiation, influence but not final decision-making power on the company position, and full responsibility for any blame if it goes wrong. Its an unenviable position to be in, but was the same for his predecessor (and likely Keith Williams before that), so he should have known what he was signing up for.

As always, these situations are about leverage. BA/IAG had it with previous industrial disputes, it doesnt so much now. I wonder what will happen next with cabin crew, always thought that Walshs cherished ambition to get rid of the legacy fleets could come back to bite the company, a single crew fleet reduces the opportunity to divide and conquer, especially when there isnt an oversupply of labour.
true, but a single fleet earning substantially less than half of the previous fleet probably makes up for the divide and conquer
Old Jul 28, 2022, 2:37 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by jonas123
true, but a single fleet earning substantially less than half of the previous fleet probably makes up for the divide and conquer
Well, in a business like IAG, that saving has quite possibly already been banked and baked into cost forecasts, so any increase would still have an impact.

However, my point was really that industrial action by a single fleet would potentially have a more profound impact on operations than action by one of multiple crew fleets.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by mguinness
Is the likelihood that the strike days would be in September? How long does the balloting process take and does BALPA have to provide two weeks notice prior to striking?
Yes, 14 day legal requirement.

On the upside, predicting strike dates always used to be a good way of picking up some bonus tier points on fully flexible bookings, as BA used to award them anyway if your flight was cancelled :-)
Melodsal and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Do we know when the vote will take place as we are flying to Orlando on 3rd Sept
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes, 14 day legal requirement.

On the upside, predicting strike dates always used to be a good way of picking up some bonus tier points on fully flexible bookings, as BA used to award them anyway if your flight was cancelled :-)
Dont you need to fly the rebooked flights to claim ORC?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Dont you need to fly the rebooked flights to claim ORC?
Historically not.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 2:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
That must be quite some time ago. I dont remember people being awarded TPs on flights which were cancelled and never rebooked in strikes over the last few years (e.g. during the MF strikes).

Definitely not recommended as something to try for that reason if we do have BA strikes this year.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: Some
IAG Q2 results are out today, they returned to operating profit again in Q2 (period from March-June which included significant disruption) - https://www.iairgroup.com/~/media/Fi...al-results.pdf

They also expect profitability to be significantly higher in both Q3 and Q4 and IAG to make a decent profit for 2022 as a whole. Remind me what the justification for this pay cut is again exactly in BA’s opinion?!
Can I help you, Sigwx and LHRLGW like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
IAG Q2 results are out today, they returned to operating profit again in Q2 (period from March-June which included significant disruption) - https://www.iairgroup.com/~/media/Fi...al-results.pdf

They also expect profitability to be significantly higher in both Q3 and Q4 and IAG to make a decent profit for 2022 as a whole. Remind me what the justification for this pay cut is again exactly in BAs opinion?!
The only stats you need to see from the IAG results.

Staff cost:
-8% for Iberia vs 2019
-25% for BA vs 2019
Passenger revenue:
- 4 %for Iberia vs 2019
-27% for BA vs 2019
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
The only stats you need to see from the IAG results.

Staff cost:
-8% for Iberia vs 2019
-25% for BA vs 2019
Passenger revenue:
- 4 %for Iberia vs 2019
-27% for BA vs 2019
But obviously they cannot provide anything better to their employees. Those share buy-backs aren't free!
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Luis’s bonus wasn’t free either!
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:18 am

This afternoons comms suggest (but by no means confirms) that early next week there could possibly be news on the next steps, if any, that are taken. Expect further then but not before.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:40 pm

This thread has been quiet for the past month, does this mean strike action has been averted for now? Were BALPA members even balloted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.