Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BALPA may ballot members on industrial action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

As reported by Daily Telegraph and some other print media, there appears to be a growing possibility that BALPA will ballot its BA members who feel their pay should not only be restored to pre-pandemic levels but also increased in light of rising inflation.

Telegraph I believe operates on subscription basis, but a couple of key extracts from their piece here

British Airways chief executive Sean Doyle was warned during a meeting with pilot representatives last Tuesday that only quantifiable actions would be acceptable, according to an email to its members last week seen by the Telegraph.

This did not occur," the email said.
British Airways pilots agreed to sacrifice a portion of their salaries to mitigate job losses in a pay deal agreed in July 2020. They accepted temporary pay cuts of 20pc, falling to 8pc over the following two years, allowing job cuts to be reduced from 1,255 to 270.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...strike-action/
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:26 am
formerly onlynik

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Gold
Good, their pay should be restored and increased. I fully support any strike action.
camdentown, guytp, BJ787 and 11 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The pilots did BA a favour in 2020 when BA thought it would need far fewer of them. Time has proven that BA had an advantage by retaining more pilots and where other airlines have trouble recruiting, BA are better positioned. The pay reduction was based on sustained lower demand which has not materialised, indeed most pilots are probably working to the limit of their permitted hours. Put current inflation rates into the mix and of course they want more money.

And, with the price gouging going on by Airlines right now, BA can easily afford to pay pilots more.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am not sure how BA can justify keeping a COVID-related pay cut IMHO (not even talking about inflation related pay...). It's a shame that pilots (and other work groups at BA) seem to have to resort to threatening strike action before BA open their ears.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LHRLGW
I am not sure how BA can justify keeping a COVID-related pay cut IMHO (not even talking about inflation related pay...). It's a shame that pilots (and other work groups at BA) seem to have to resort to threatening strike action before BA open their ears.
I really think BA is so crisis driven right now that this is just another issue "on the pile" that needs to be sorted out. We've seen with the ground staff that BA, contrary to past experience, has come back to the table with a more reasonable offer, and I assume it will also do so with the pilots. It's sad that industrial relations have to be so confrontational but it seems to be the new normal, unfortunately.
RJD1983 and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I would say its a fairly well-accepted fact that, for a good number of years now, BAs general approach to negotiations with Unions representing their staff has been shaped by its very own Management Guide to Industrial Relations (author : Willie Walsh, with revisions & updates by Alex Cruz).

Pilots of course have the power to bring a total halt to any airlines operations - and at a stroke. BA naturally need to tread very carefully here, and there can surely be little doubt that Luis Gallego would wish to stay close to ongoing developments, perhaps even becoming directly involved, given just what is at stake.

Recent settlements with other sections of the workforce indicate a realisation that the sort of regular confrontations seen during the Walsh / Cruz era can no longer be risked - particularly in a climate that has already brought significant cancellations and related disruptions. Time will tell.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
I would say its a fairly well-accepted fact that, for a good number of years now, BAs general approach to negotiations with Unions representing their staff has been shaped by its very own Management Guide to Industrial Relations (author : Willie Walsh, with revisions & updates by Alex Cruz).

Pilots of course have the power to bring a total halt to any airlines operations - and at a stroke. BA naturally need to tread very carefully here, and there can surely be little doubt that Luis Gallego would wish to stay close to ongoing developments, perhaps even becoming directly involved, given just what is at stake.

Recent settlements with other sections of the workforce indicate a realisation that the sort of regular confrontations seen during the Walsh / Cruz era can no longer be risked - particularly in a climate that has already brought significant cancellations and related disruptions. Time will tell.
Agree. I wonder though if Doyle actually has much say/influence here in these negotiations or is he just doing what he's told by Luis Gallego?

Its an odd setup for sure, not sure how much control/discretion Doyle has compared to other airline CEOs.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
😔

I have some sympathy for all these Unionised workers fighting for better remuneration at the expense/inconvenience of the general Public and their Employers.

Could someone direct me to the OAPs Union website, where we (the ones without any leverage) can seek more money by strike action? Or do we just form an orderly queue at the Pension Office, or the Crematorium?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Could someone direct me to the OAP’s Union website, where we (the ones without any leverage) can seek more money by strike action? Or do we just form an orderly queue at the Pension Office, or the Crematorium?
Respectfully you would have had the chance to do that in your working years, much like those of us who retire later won't get the chance to strike for a higher pension when we're retirement age!
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Could someone direct me to the OAP’s Union website, where we (the ones without any leverage) can seek more money by strike action?
It doesn't seem like pensioners need one!

I would say if pilots managed to get their salaries uplifted every year by the same level as the triple lock, and not have their salaries reduced since 2020, they probably wouldn't now be voting on potential strike action
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

…………………………..

Could someone direct me to the OAP’s Union website, where we (the ones without any leverage) can seek more money by strike action? Or do we just form an orderly queue at the Pension Office, or the Crematorium?
We all feel your pain Uncle T !

And drastic times call for drastic action. It’s tough to contemplate - but you may even have to cut back from four long-haul exotics a year to just three. Or (to raise the unmentionable) could the looming crisis actually mean travelling in the back of the bus …… 😳😳 Mon Dieu !

But in all seriousness : if the claim by BALPA that BA management a) have already reneged on a firm agreement reached by both parties in good faith OR b) are showing every sign of doing so …… then it’s very very hard not to support their potential move towards strike action as a last resort.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:28 pm

I have some sympathy for all these Unionised workers fighting for better remuneration at the expense/inconvenience of the general Public and their Employers.

Could someone direct me to the OAPs Union website, where we (the ones without any leverage) can seek more money by strike action? Or do we just form an orderly queue at the Pension Office, or the Crematorium?
Ok Boomer.

Maybe go back to work then? Cut down on your Daily Mail purchases? Wish I had a triple lock. I doubt there will even be pensions or a retirement age by the time I get there!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
I'd like it if there was a way passengers could show their support for BA staff.

BA management have royally stiffed staff & passengers over the last 5 years and need a proper kicking.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

As my American family would say, do you want a pity party?
gormless, DYKWIA, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:07 pm

Is the likelihood that the strike days would be in September? How long does the balloting process take and does BALPA have to provide two weeks notice prior to striking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.