Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think there is a case for all of them. ABZ is slightly trickier to get to the city centre compared to the others, NCL,MAN, EDI have light rail systems of some description and in all cases you're in the heart of things in 30 minutes. JER is also fairly quick, even though it's a bus, however for about 6 days a year they have poor weather. It wouldn't discourage me, and it's the most foodie option. BHD is a bus, the train provision is made deliberately painful, but you can get in quickly there, it's physically close by.

I'm obviously biased towards NCL, but for the return the security has barely changed from pre-pandemic, it should be slick getting through. THe city centre is walkable and places like Sage and the Laing Gallery are often overlooked. The latter is hosting the Lindisfarne Gospel from 17 September to 3 December. Durham is a 15 minute ride away too. House of Tides is Michelin, albeit with the Tasting Menu Stalinism. Many other places to eat!

I'd also highlight the recently re-opened Burrell Collection in Glasgow, closed since 2016. I've not been yet, but it looks like a grand job was made of the new set-up.
Geordie405, squawk, Anonba and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:54 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Manchester Christmas market (if you can even call it that!) is extremely meh... go anywhere but.
There isn't a single Christmas Market, lots of the City centre is taken over. Unfortunately, Albert Square is closed for the next few years while the Town Hall is revamped. So, it's a smaller scale. Last years was crazily busy, to the extent that they had to close parts of it some weekends due to over crowding.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think there is a case for all of them. ABZ is slightly trickier to get to the city centre compared to the others, NCL,MAN, EDI have light rail systems of some description and in all cases you're in the heart of things in 30 minutes. JER is also fairly quick, even though it's a bus, however for about 6 days a year they have poor weather. It wouldn't discourage me, and it's the most foodie option. BHD is a bus, the train provision is made deliberately painful, but you can get in quickly there, it's physically close by.

I'm obviously biased towards NCL, but for the return the security has barely changed from pre-pandemic, it should be slick getting through. THe city centre is walkable and places like Sage and the Laing Gallery are often overlooked. The latter is hosting the Lindisfarne Gospel from 17 September to 3 December. Durham is a 15 minute ride away too. House of Tides is Michelin, albeit with the Tasting Menu Stalinism. Many other places to eat!

I'd also highlight the recently re-opened Burrell Collection in Glasgow, closed since 2016. I've not been yet, but it looks like a grand job was made of the new set-up.
Another vote for NCL. I found the light rail into the town to be really easy and the town centre was very pleasant. I was there for slightly less aesthetic reasons - a football match - (and we were beaten in the last minute of extra time) but still had a good time and I found the locals to be really good fun too.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Also with the Burrell it's great to take a walk round Pollock Park especially on a frosty day. Country House and Highland Coos, only 10 minutes on the train from Glasgow Central. Would say after this clockwork orange to Hillhead, will be some Xmas stuff and much better food than city centre.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberino
Really? What about Inverness for the Highlands? Would rather go there for a day than EDI or GLA.
The Highlands are magnificent but it takes a train ride or car to get the best of them, and optimally a lot more time than a day trip too. Inverness is a pleasant town but it’s not exactly exciting.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:14 am

EDI or NCL
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
I also vote for EDI and NCL.

I had a very good day trip to the seaside (Whitley Bay) via NCL pre-pandemic. Day ticket on the Metro excellent value.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
BHD would get my vote. I’m not sure about Christmas markets but, take a visit to the Titanic Museum, it’s excellent!
Belfast for me too. On my last trip I took the Black Taxi Tours of the divided areas of the city. I thought I was politically clued up but there were some real interesting eye-openers on the tour. I took it at the end of the trip and just added on the drop off to BHD. Titanic Tour, a good lunch in one of the many good bars, ended by the Black Taxi tour. Wasn't there in winter so can't confirm/deny any Christmas market involvement.
TedToToe and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
+1 for NCL
The Metro station is literally a 5 min walk from the door of the plane (assuming it arrives at the normal gate).
Less than £6 for a return ticket.
Plenty to see and do in central Toon. There will also be a Christmas Market around the Monument area.
Return to plane would be swift through FastTrack security, no BA lounge though, but that's a whole other thread ;-)
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Manchester is crap, dont come here.

Id go to NCL, DUB, or EDI/GLA
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Newcastle is usually the cheapest from LHR
Manchester is known for is Christmas markets (cheap wine and Chinese goods)
If I was flying, I'd fly to Edinburgh. It's quicker/easier to drive to Manchester, by the time you sort the travel to LHR, queue, go through security etc. I used to fly to Newcastle from Bristol many years ago, but it took so long each end, I stopped bothering.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Stretching the definition of UK a little, but with no barriers to entry and a quick flight, what about Jersey? They've got a Christmas market, under £80 for a return, and some great places to have lunch too
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BA silver,
How about morning flight to INV then train through the Highlands to GLA or EDB and on to LCY/LHR?
More expensive but can’t beat LON-GLA-LON and take Loganair to Barra and back.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:05 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Normally I’d very much be voting for JER, but not if you’re planning this between December and February - we get fog around then and it’s generally too cold and wet to sit outside and eat seafood. Personally at that time of year I’d go to NCL or EDI… October would be a different matter - generally the weather is still lovely here then and you can do a tour of the nice wine bars and restaurants, plus a walk on the beach…
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I’ve done JER as a BA day trip (albeit not in winter) and it worked well.

Durham is lovely at most times of year. Lots of cozy pubs, and I would recommend the Cellar Door for lunch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.