FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:59 am
Cw novice

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think there is a case for all of them. ABZ is slightly trickier to get to the city centre compared to the others, NCL,MAN, EDI have light rail systems of some description and in all cases you're in the heart of things in 30 minutes. JER is also fairly quick, even though it's a bus, however for about 6 days a year they have poor weather. It wouldn't discourage me, and it's the most foodie option. BHD is a bus, the train provision is made deliberately painful, but you can get in quickly there, it's physically close by.

I'm obviously biased towards NCL, but for the return the security has barely changed from pre-pandemic, it should be slick getting through. THe city centre is walkable and places like Sage and the Laing Gallery are often overlooked. The latter is hosting the Lindisfarne Gospel from 17 September to 3 December. Durham is a 15 minute ride away too. House of Tides is Michelin, albeit with the Tasting Menu Stalinism. Many other places to eat!

I'd also highlight the recently re-opened Burrell Collection in Glasgow, closed since 2016. I've not been yet, but it looks like a grand job was made of the new set-up.
Also with the Burrell it's great to take a walk round Pollock Park especially on a frosty day. Country House and Highland Coos, only 10 minutes on the train from Glasgow Central. Would say after this clockwork orange to Hillhead, will be some Xmas stuff and much better food than city centre.