Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos

In the Winter, hopefully when flying is 'better' again.
The idea is to collect 5 TPs, but I thought instead of a B2B in the UK, I'd make a day trip out of it & see something (e.g. if December a Christmas Market somewhere if it's feasible from airport to location & back in time etc).

I plan to RFS out from LHR & return cheapest Y ticket back to get 5 TPs on the same day - Where would you visit? All recommendations welcome TIA
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:56 pm

Newcastle is usually the cheapest from LHR
Manchester is known for is Christmas markets (cheap wine and Chinese goods)
Anonba and TPRun like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Edinburgh has a Christmas Market and winter funfair in George Street and around around princes Street Gardens

Regards
Tbs
princeville, wfiring12 and TPRun like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Quite frankly almost anywhere would have plenty to offer but if you make it a day trip, I'd say that flight times, and link between airport and city centre would matter.

If it were me, despite the lack of originality, I might favour Edinburgh - frequent flights, fast transport to the city centre, which is quite compact and has a lot to offer. I'd probably avoid Manchester just because security is often a mess meaning one often needs to arrive a bit earlier than elsewhere.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
BHD would get my vote. I’m not sure about Christmas markets but, take a visit to the Titanic Museum, it’s excellent!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:14 pm

Extra info

Sadly the schedule doesn't really allow for a day trip anymore but if you could do an overnight LHR-INV and go and see the reindeer herd in Aviemore which isn't far from the train station. Before retiring somewhere to sample some whisky. Think Inverness will have a Xmas market too.

Looking at it HBO flights in December pre schools breaking up are about £65.

ETA: one way from INV-LHR looks about £28 if RFS is LHR-INV
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Bloody amateurs.

The 2045 DUB to LHR 8th December is available for £2.41 at Crystal. It will generate 5tps and avios worth more than the ticket costs (625 for gold)

You can fly out LHR to DUB on the 8.30 for £26.43 also at Crystal, or more sensibly, buy at BA for £38,82 and trouser a £30 voucher via the price promise deal which can be used against next year's tickets (pp only works ex UK so you can't do this on the DUB to LHR leg, that's best done via Crystal). Also gets 5tp and 625 avios. Other outbound timings are available, and the same trick can be pulled on other days with a little bit of fiddling around to find the cheap DUB to LHR flights on Google flights.

A day in Dublin is as much fun as anywhere nearby in December. None of this messing around with RFS.

Last edited by bisonrav; Jul 17, 2022 at 4:41 pm
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:23 pm

Finding it hard to remember when going through the airport checkin/security/boarding process twice in one day was even possible.....

Hopefully by Christmas some sanity will have returned.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Edinburgh has a Christmas Market and winter funfair in George Street and around around princes Street Gardens

Regards
Tbs
I second this - I've long suggested that instead of the stalls and associated tat the council put on in Aberdeen, they should just provide busses to Edinburgh.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Manchester is known for is Christmas markets (cheap wine and Chinese goods)
Manchester Christmas market (if you can even call it that!) is extremely meh... go anywhere but.
Silver Fox and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:09 am
formerly JackDann

Another vote for BHD. Whilst the town isn’t up to much these days, the convenience of the airport (proximity to town, ease of getting through) makes up for that.

There will be a Christmas Market at Belfast City Hall which is small, but quite enjoyable. Probably a few other Touristy things you could do aswell.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:12 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Bloody amateurs.

The 2045 DUB to LHR 8th December is available for £2.41 at Crystal. It will generate 5tps and avios worth more than the ticket costs (625 for gold)

You can fly out LHR to DUB on the 8.30 for £26.43 also at Crystal, or more sensibly, buy at BA for £38,82 and trouser a £30 voucher via the price promise deal which can be used against next year's tickets (pp only works ex UK so you can't do this on the DUB to LHR leg, that's best done via Crystal). Also gets 5tp and 625 avios. Other outbound timings are available, and the same trick can be pulled on other days with a little bit of fiddling around to find the cheap DUB to LHR flights on Google flights.

A day in Dublin is as much fun as anywhere nearby in December. None of this messing around with RFS.
Might be a reason that the OP doesn’t want to travel outside the UK. DUB Airport a good mission from the City centre too.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by JackDann
Might be a reason that the OP doesn’t want to travel outside the UK. DUB Airport a good mission from the City centre too.
It's a bus journey to Dublin (€3 IIRC, which admittedly is more than the return flight, but not that expensive), it's in the CTA so effectively UK for the purposes of travel, and there's a Christmas market starting the 8th. There are probably some similar possibilities from other UK destinations (Jersey for example), but they'll be more expensive on the outbound.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edinburgh (especially if you haven’t been before). The rest of the U.K. domestic destinations aren’t that compelling, Glasgow aside.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Edinburgh (especially if you haven’t been before). The rest of the U.K. domestic destinations aren’t that compelling, Glasgow aside.
Really? What about Inverness for the Highlands? Would rather go there for a day than EDI or GLA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.