Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you fly for a day trip within the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcylocal
I’ve done JER as a BA day trip (albeit not in winter) and it worked well.
Me too, I needed 80TP for Gold one year so did a return to JER with lunch at Bohemia (can recommend!)
bisonrav and lcylocal like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd have to recommend GLA and the lounge ain't bad either.
However out of all the places mentioned I've never visited Belfast so would likely choose to go there.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Thanks everyone for input so far, this is most useful! (Although I said UK, I'm OK with going further a field I just want to maximise the day trip as I have no plans to stay over).

Ease of leaving airport/ travel into city centre would be a big factor, so I think Edinburgh, Glasgow or Belfast are sounding good as I haven't been to either place for a long, long time. I'd try to go in Dec so I can wander around the Xmas markets (even more so if i will be travelling with OH/friend). Dublin also a possibility but put off by if the airport is far from the action. I'd like to visit Jersey but as I've never been perhaps that should be longer than a day? Same with INV?

NCL I've been to often and do enjoy, so that is always a safe fall-back option for me. By the sounds of it I should avoid MAN....

Thanks again!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by TPRun
Thanks everyone for input so far, this is most useful! (Although I said UK, I'm OK with going further a field I just want to maximise the day trip as I have no plans to stay over).

Ease of leaving airport/ travel into city centre would be a big factor, so I think Edinburgh, Glasgow or Belfast are sounding good as I haven't been to either place for a long, long time. I'd try to go in Dec so I can wander around the Xmas markets (even more so if i will be travelling with OH/friend). Dublin also a possibility but put off by if the airport is far from the action. I'd like to visit Jersey but as I've never been perhaps that should be longer than a day? Same with INV?

NCL I've been to often and do enjoy, so that is always a safe fall-back option for me. By the sounds of it I should avoid MAN....

Thanks again!
It's a shame the last flight from Gla/EDI is so early as there would probably have been the scope to do both given both markets are so close to the train stations. Would go for Glasgow, a late lunch somewhere and then go to the Pot Still which is probably the best whisky bar in the city.
taxicabnumber and TPRun like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Without wanting to overplug Dublin as a destination, it's very easy to get into town. I'm a skinflint, so it's the bus for me, but you also have express buses and taxis. Plenty to do and see too. But one other factor is there are plenty of EI flights so you're unlikely to get left high and dry by cancellations.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Ease of leaving airport/ travel into city centre would be a big factor, so I think Edinburgh, Glasgow or Belfast are sounding good as I haven't been to either place for a long, long time.
A strong vote for Edinburgh with the tram on that score. It isn’t the cheapest (£9 per person return from the airport) but it is regular and takes you right into the heart of things with minimal hassle.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Edinburgh for sure when Christmas markets are on (I think normally from last weekend of November.)
We used to go down every year and loved it.

It's not just the market, which are ten a penny these days, although Edinburgh's a notch above most, but the setting in Princes St Gardens and all, and the extra bits going on in other city squares.
And the magnificent Christmas decorations inside The Dome restaurant in George St - do book if you're think of going in for a coffee or lunch, the queues outside can be long.

I actually prefer the bus into town, but the tram has its charms, the main one being smoothness.
TPRun likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Without wanting to overplug Dublin as a destination, it's very easy to get into town. I'm a skinflint, so it's the bus for me, but you also have express buses and taxis. Plenty to do and see too. But one other factor is there are plenty of EI flights so you're unlikely to get left high and dry by cancellations.
That's OK I'm trying to do this as 'cheap as possible' anyway as I just need the 5 TPs, but noted on the express transport options & good point re: Canx especially if it's a bad-weather-Winter!

Originally Posted by lcylocal
A strong vote for Edinburgh with the tram on that score. It isn’t the cheapest (£9 per person return from the airport) but it is regular and takes you right into the heart of things with minimal hassle.
I'm coming from London where a bus ticket alone is overpriced, so I'd be happy to try out the tram! Where would I "head to" if i leave Edinburgh airport on the tram? Especially if I'm looking for an Xmas market?

Originally Posted by Cw novice
It's a shame the last flight from Gla/EDI is so early as there would probably have been the scope to do both given both markets are so close to the train stations. Would go for Glasgow, a late lunch somewhere and then go to the Pot Still which is probably the best whisky bar in the city.
Anything with Alcohol already adds on +10 bonus points in my books!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
And the special hell that is MAN, to be avoided at all costs. NEW has a metro connection and an airport that generally works. And the Toon is canny.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:26 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
One of the points in any day return offering is getting into town. NCL is great as the Metro goes directly from the airport and the entrance is slapbang outside the airport. I love EDI, and I understand that the tram now runs into town from there (I haven't been there in many years).
My favourite Day Return was always Paris. I would go there shopping regularly - the Galeries Lafeyette and I are well acquainted.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver

I'm coming from London where a bus ticket alone is overpriced, so I'd be happy to try out the tram! Where would I "head to" if i leave Edinburgh airport on the tram? Especially if I'm looking for an Xmas market?
The tram stop is right as you exit the terminal(there are many exits, however it is sign posted”. The trams are about 100m from the exit. You can’t miss them. You can download the app for your opine a pre purchase your ticket. Stay on the tram until you reach Princess Street( about 30 minutes), alight there. You’ll see the market in Princess Street Gardens (on your right hand side), there’s normally a big wheel too.

I find the tram most convenient when going to the airport.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:43 am
formerly JackDann

Anything with Alcohol already adds on +10 bonus points in my books!
on Saturday I put together a map of the 104 Pubs and Bars in Belfast that i’ve visited since moving here 4 Years ago - You can see the runway for BHD in the top right 😃

blurt91 and TPRun like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
Bloody amateurs.

The 2045 DUB to LHR 8th December is available for £2.41 at Crystal. It will generate 5tps and avios worth more than the ticket costs (625 for gold)

You can fly out LHR to DUB on the 8.30 for £26.43 also at Crystal, or more sensibly, buy at BA for £38,82 and trouser a £30 voucher via the price promise deal which can be used against next year's tickets (pp only works ex UK so you can't do this on the DUB to LHR leg, that's best done via Crystal). Also gets 5tp and 625 avios. Other outbound timings are available, and the same trick can be pulled on other days with a little bit of fiddling around to find the cheap DUB to LHR flights on Google flights.

A day in Dublin is as much fun as anywhere nearby in December. None of this messing around with RFS.
how do you book said Crystal Ticket and what destinations can you get such a discount on?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Waz22
how do you book said Crystal Ticket and what destinations can you get such a discount on?
https://www.crystaltravel.co.uk/
Old Jul 18, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Bloody amateurs.

The 2045 DUB to LHR 8th December is available for £2.41 at Crystal. It will generate 5tps and avios worth more than the ticket costs (625 for gold)
Is this fare still showing for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.