Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA2673 LCA-LGW Cancelled Help Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think Larnaca, Athens and Istanbul were among the last places to routinely cater downroute. There was an obvious efficiency prize there. But actually under EC261 there is a provision for all passengers - including those in EuroTraveller - to buy their own food and drink, and then charge it to BA. It's just got to be proportionate and reasonable. So in a way giving out vouchers probably limits BA's spend, but in reality if you went beyond the amount on the voucher, or didn't get one, BA would be more or less bound to pay. And in reality they do pay food and drink claims.
heb999 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Given us 18.50 each worth of vouchers which we probably won’t use as we’re in the aspire lounge which isn’t to bad. Would rather have had an avois refund tbh.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think Larnaca, Athens and Istanbul were among the last places to routinely cater downroute. There was an obvious efficiency prize there. But actually under EC261 there is a provision for all passengers - including those in EuroTraveller - to buy their own food and drink, and then charge it to BA. It's just got to be proportionate and reasonable. So in a way giving out vouchers probably limits BA's spend, but in reality if you went beyond the amount on the voucher, or didn't get one, BA would be more or less bound to pay. And in reality they do pay food and drink claims.
In economy for LCA to LON, all you get is a packet of crisps and a small bottle of water. If EC261 allows passengers to buy their own food and drink they will be decidedly better off.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Taxiing out now, thought it was never going to happen.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
So BA is unable to source food downstream dor a 5 hour plus return flight. I know these flights are usually return-catered but is there really no contingency for when things go wrong?
Thank the Irish skinhead for this money saving initiative. All contracts with downroute caterers was stopped way before the brexit vote to give it some historical context.... When push comes to shove, I think the handling agents may be able to procure the basics but not a full on tray meal service. (500ml bottles of coke, fanta etc when the proverbial really hits the fan) I've seen this happen in PFO and KLX before.... 4-5 white carrier bags of pop being slung in to the galley by the dispatcher before they closed the door.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There will be plenty of crisps and waters for everyone, the BOB service should also available as well as drinks from the bars.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I was going to suggest looking into LCA-TLV with a non-OneWorld carrier and then TLV-LHR on BA which has the benefit of being a flat bed Club World route. LCA-TLV is only about an hour flight.

Depending on the day of the week looks like there are LCA-TLV nonstops on Cyprus Airways, El Al, Arkia and Wizz Air. Would BA rebook on those and then on BA TLV-LHR?

But when I read this yesterday it seemed like your flight would go earlier so I didn’t bother mentioning it. Wish I had, since you had the awful delay! I guess it might be helpful for future reference
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will be waiting a long time for Cyprus Airways, they folded in 2015.
Sorry just seen there is a new Cyprus Airways.

Last edited by Can I help you; Jul 3, 2022 at 11:24 am Reason: Update
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Can I help you
You will be waiting a long time for Cyprus Airways, they folded in 2015.
So why does a flight of theirs appear on Google Flights when I search for next Sunday?

Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I did update my post.
salut0 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:34 am

36hrs late - must be approaching a record for a BA shorthaul!

The BA672 2nd / BA673 3rd also had a drama - diverted to Paphos on the inbound along with a couple of Wizzair. The BA673 outbound this morning was then was delayed couple of hours whilst the aircraft was positioned into Larnaca (presumably by taxiing the fresh crew across)
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
You have to brace yourselves, the summer is just starting, there are two more months of this or worse...
salut0, VSLover and Modo like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Because the LGW service was cancelled due to crew (sickness I suspect) then you are good for EC261. Your flight is a mere 24 km into the maximum band, so 600€ / £520 per person. It's possible the coach option will still be available, in which case BA will in their rights not to pay a taxi, but they would probably (not definitely) pay £50 towards it. You can claim downgrade too, that's the Mennens formula in the main EC261. But you may find it easier to reclaim the Avios difference and ask BA for some Avios extra so that you won't claim specifically for the downgrade. Don't forget to get some receipts for food and drink tomorrow, that's covered.

ba.com/complaints
Are you sure about that?

If you are right I have some historical claims to re-open.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Are you sure about that?

If you are right I have some historical claims to re-open.
Apologies you are quite correct. The maximum band starts at 3500 km and LCA-LHR is a few hundred mile short of that, not over. So it's 400€.
Lioneye likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Apologies you are quite correct. The maximum band starts at 3500 km and LCA-LHR is a few hundred mile short of that, not over. So it's 400€.
No worries CWS - I was thrown by the LGW destination in the op's case but if anything that will be slightly shorter in any event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.