Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Delayed due to Passenger with Allergy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Delayed due to Passenger with Allergy

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by DelTroon
Malaysian Airlines (part of the Oneworld alliance) have a signature dish, Satay, which is served in their First (Business Suite) and Business Class cabins. This has been a tradition for many years and the airline pride themselves on the popularity of the dish which obviously comes with a bowl of super rich peanut butter sauce. I am quietly confident that if any passenger told the airline they had a peanut allergy the airline would not be offering to stop serving their signature dish.
Likely because the containment of a suite/pod provides adequate protection against the threat of a severe allergic reaction. 100%? Nothing is ever 100%.
DelTroon likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:29 am

I don’t eat nuts as they always make me feel slightly ill, I am intolerant not allergic and trace amounts in food are not usually a problem. I have had cabin crew in First go into panic mode when I refuse the bowl of nuts offered but do quickly reassure them that it’s fine there is no problem with them serving the nuts to everyone else I just don’t eat them.
True allergies are indeed life threatening but those with them will be taking many precautions including wiping down all surfaces etc as well as carrying one or sometimes two epipens. Sadly a lot of people exaggerate their intolerance to an allergy which just causes a lot of headaches for crew.
LETTERBOY and mtofell like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mnhusker
This is incorrect, and part of the problem with people who declare they have "nut allergies".

Most people are as you say, they are only at issue if they ingest the offending nut.

But their are people, the ones who truly have severe allergies requiring they carry Epi Pens that can have life threatening anaphylactic shock if the merely come in contact with the nut or something that has been exposed to the nut dust.
No, not according to allergists:

"Take a deep breath and relax. Even if you are allergic to peanuts, touching, smelling or inhaling particles from peanuts cannot cause an allergic reaction—at least not the serious, life-threatening type that everyone with a peanut allergy fears. You are not in danger unless you eat them."

https://healthtalk.unchealthcare.org/can-simply-smelling-peanuts-cause-an-allergic-reaction
Old May 9, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
No, not according to allergists:

"Take a deep breath and relax. Even if you are allergic to peanuts, touching, smelling or inhaling particles from peanuts cannot cause an allergic reaction—at least not the serious, life-threatening type that everyone with a peanut allergy fears. You are not in danger unless you eat them."

https://healthtalk.unchealthcare.org/can-simply-smelling-peanuts-cause-an-allergic-reaction
Experts can differ:
This is from the Mayo Clinic (my institution):Exposure to peanuts can occur in various ways:
  • Direct contact. The most common cause of peanut allergy is eating peanuts or peanut-containing foods. Sometimes direct skin contact with peanuts can trigger an allergic reaction.
  • Cross-contact. This is the unintended introduction of peanuts into a product. It's generally the result of a food being exposed to peanuts during processing or handling.
  • Inhalation. An allergic reaction may occur if you inhale dust or aerosols containing peanuts, from a source such as peanut flour or peanut oil cooking spray.
Peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of severe allergy attacks. For some people with peanut allergy, even tiny amounts of peanuts can cause a serious reaction that can even be life-threatening (anaphylaxis).

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20376175
All the best.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Allergies are frighteningly poorly-understood. I went through years of tests and shrugging shoulders before I finally got a kind of diagnosis. Allergies can also get worse out of the blue. Unfortunately the symptoms of a serious allergic reaction can also be very close to a panic attack and it can be hard to differentiate the two at the start.

More awareness is a good thing, and it must be so stressful for someone with a severe allergy to travel.
flygirl68 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Experts can differ:
This is from the Mayo Clinic (my institution):Exposure to peanuts can occur in various ways:
  • Direct contact. The most common cause of peanut allergy is eating peanuts or peanut-containing foods. Sometimes direct skin contact with peanuts can trigger an allergic reaction.
  • Cross-contact. This is the unintended introduction of peanuts into a product. It's generally the result of a food being exposed to peanuts during processing or handling.
  • Inhalation. An allergic reaction may occur if you inhale dust or aerosols containing peanuts, from a source such as peanut flour or peanut oil cooking spray.
Peanut allergy is one of the most common causes of severe allergy attacks. For some people with peanut allergy, even tiny amounts of peanuts can cause a serious reaction that can even be life-threatening (anaphylaxis).

All the best.
An allergic reaction is not the same as an anaphylactic reaction. Its important to recognise the difference.
An allergic reaction might be a small rash or sneezing. The much more serious anaphylactic reaction can be dangerous.
LETTERBOY and wrp96 like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Experts can differ:

All the best.
No you are completely misinterpreting information. You're probably very busy as we all are, so failed to research the relevant; specific issue and of course, it's really the underlying reason for all the hysteria surrounding peanuts. Allow me to edify you. Don't consume them. That's it. Any reaction to skin contact or inhalation is rare and minor. Best.

"The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) is the leading membership organization of more than 7,000 allergists / immunologists and is patients' trusted resource for allergies, asthma and immune deficiency disorders."

https://www.aaaai.org/allergist-reso...nut-air-travel

"For those with peanut allergy, there has been a persistent concern about the risk of having a reaction from casual exposure to peanuts while on an airplane. Specific concerns have been raised about reported airborne reactions from inhaling peanut dust or peanut butter vapors or aroma, from being in close proximity to peanuts, or from coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. This is understandable. However, the peanut allergic flier should rest assured that since the issue was first studied in 2004, data have consistently shown that peanut dust does not become airborne nor does inhaling peanut butter vapors provoke a reaction, that skin contact with either form of peanut is unlikely to cause any reaction beyond local irritation that can be washed off, and lastly that surfaces (including hands) that become contaminated with peanut can be easily washed off. Let’s briefly summarize this evidence."
LETTERBOY, alvinlwh and DelTroon like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
On a BA jet where we were told strictly no nuts to be consumed by anyone in any cabin due to a person with an extreme nut allergy. I don't see how my eating my trail mix 20ft away impacts but I wasn't going to argue with the crew.
well apparently nut dust and residue can be a big problem. In my eye I then ask if one is that sensitive they either travel differently or have a boatload of Epipens.
thegreatmrsj likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K
One of my favorite entertainers regularly talks about nut allergies and, "where were they 30 years ago?". Also points out that when the US is doing food drops to war-torn nations to save the people no one seems to complain of a nut allergy. I don't doubt that some people have nut allergies to some degree but like so many things in the world these days the bark is worse than the bite.
LETTERBOY and alvinlwh like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mtofell
One of my favorite entertainers regularly talks about nut allergies and, "where were they 30 years ago?". Also points out that when the US is doing food drops to war-torn nations to save the people no one seems to complain of a nut allergy. I don't doubt that some people have nut allergies to some degree but like so many things in the world these days the bark is worse than the bite.
and his medical qualifications are?
astra19e likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 11:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
No you are completely misinterpreting information. You're probably very busy as we all are, so failed to research the relevant; specific issue and of course, it's really the underlying reason for all the hysteria surrounding peanuts. Allow me to edify you. Don't consume them. That's it. Any reaction to skin contact or inhalation is rare and minor. Best.

"The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) is the leading membership organization of more than 7,000 allergists / immunologists and is patients' trusted resource for allergies, asthma and immune deficiency disorders."

https://www.aaaai.org/allergist-reso...nut-air-travel

"For those with peanut allergy, there has been a persistent concern about the risk of having a reaction from casual exposure to peanuts while on an airplane. Specific concerns have been raised about reported airborne reactions from inhaling peanut dust or peanut butter vapors or aroma, from being in close proximity to peanuts, or from coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. This is understandable. However, the peanut allergic flier should rest assured that since the issue was first studied in 2004, data have consistently shown that peanut dust does not become airborne nor does inhaling peanut butter vapors provoke a reaction, that skin contact with either form of peanut is unlikely to cause any reaction beyond local irritation that can be washed off, and lastly that surfaces (including hands) that become contaminated with peanut can be easily washed off. Let’s briefly summarize this evidence."
I think the word I’ve highlighted is at the core of the issue. If I had a peanut allergy that required me to carry an epipen then I wouldn’t want to be taking a risk on those odds.
wrp96, mnhusker and astra19e like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
and his medical qualifications are?
The history of the world.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mtofell
The history of the world.
so none then
astra19e likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
so none then
You don't strike me as someone that appreciates a good joke.... note the key word in my post that got you so fired up - "entertainer"
LETTERBOY and alvinlwh like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:24 am

I must have visited the wrong forum, 70 posts in and not a single mention of the destination. Cue google/social now suggesting city breaks to Northern Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.