Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Delayed due to Passenger with Allergy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Delayed due to Passenger with Allergy

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I will note that being rerouted may not be under passenger control, so fining them could be a bit harsh. Meanwhile, passengers are instructed to bring allergies to the attention of the operating crew, as there's no mechanism to transfer allergy information around which is reliable enough (bearing in mind that for rerouting, this also has to work across all cross-ticketed airlines and when we see that ticketing systems can sometimes barely handle transferring names, safety critical info like allergies is a stretch).
etiene likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
While a serious food allergy would be concerning for many involved I have never understood why the fate of 200 passengers is impacted by the lone individual.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:21 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Collierkr
While a serious food allergy would be concerning for many involved I have never understood why the fate of 200 passengers is impacted by the lone individual.
A 74* minute delay today on a domestic. Absolute insanity.

Edited to change 90 minutes to 74 because people got upset.

Last edited by JD1905; May 8, 2022 at 11:58 pm
Old May 8, 2022, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Is an aircraft setup differently, specifically short-haul, when the crew are aware a passenger has a severe allergy?

Unless service had commenced, I cannot personally comprehend why there was such an issue.

M
altabello likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Collierkr
On a BA jet where we were told strictly no nuts to be consumed by anyone in any cabin due to a person with an extreme nut allergy. I don't see how my eating my trail mix 20ft away impacts but I wasn't going to argue with the crew.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
God forbid you develop an allergy that could be potentially lethal and find yourself in the same situation. Rather selfish to whine and whinge about it.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:36 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
God forbid you develop an allergy that could be potentially lethal and find yourself in the same situation. Rather selfish to whine and whinge about it.
The responsibility is then on me to ensure I notify the airline in advance. Not when i’m boarding the flight.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JackDann
A 90 minute delay today on a domestic. Absolute insanity.
Still quicker than going by road and sea.

The real story regarding the delay could of course be different from the version you were told.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:57 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY

The real story regarding the delay could of course be different from the version you were told.
The same as when I was told there was no food loaded onto a flight because there was somebody on board with an allergy.

I hope you aren’t correct, but I suspect you may be.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
No then you carry an Epi Pen and avoid public transportation because there is absolutely NO WAY for them to clean a public conveyance in such a way to reduce the possibility of a person with true severe allergy from possibly contacting that allergen.

And most people who claim a "nut allergy" are nuts themselves, and do not travel with any form of personal treatment for acute allergy; antihistamine, steroid, or especially the Epi Pen. No they just announce that they are "special" and have a "nut allergy" and expect that the world around them will accommodate this issue.

And yes. I'm a Physician, with multiple life long allergies myself including to nuts.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:01 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY

”At least you got there quicker than if you walked” shouldn’t really be the level of defence we’re having to go to if you’re flying BA, but it says alot 😂
Old May 8, 2022, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by JackDann
A 90 minute delay today on a domestic. Absolute insanity.
According to Flight Radat 24 and Google, it shows that the departure was delayed by 61 minutes and that the delay on arrival was 35 minutes
Expert flyer shows a 39 minute delay on arrival
Scheduled: 08/05/22 20:55 Estimated: 08/05/22 21:34 Actual: 08/05/22 21:34
Arctic Troll likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:12 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
According to Flight Radat 24 and Google, it shows that the departure was delayed by 61 minutes and that the delay on arrival was 35 minutes
Roughly accurate.
Gengy likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Much ado about nothing then.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
what happens when these people get on a train? Do people not eat nuts on trains?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.