Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight Delayed due to Passenger with Allergy

Old May 8, 2022, 12:54 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Got to laugh, must be something to do with this route. Im currently sat on BA1426 which is being delayed on the ground because there is a passenger on board with a nut allergy.

Ive spoken to the crew and tried go get an explanation, but im at a loss on this one.

Unfortunately we wont be delayed enough to get any sort of compensation, but this just adds to the list of reasons to not bother flying BA
Old May 8, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
And yet you are.
Dan72, DYKWIA, Kgmm77 and 12 others like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:00 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Eventually got sorted. Passenger was put on this flight last minute and crew was unaware of allergy.

Passenger was offloaded and were now on the way.

Would have been a non issue if it was explained a bit better by crew tbf
Old May 8, 2022, 1:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Haha, you do seem to be a nut allergy lightening rod

I am equally puzzle to why a nut allergy causes a delay.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:02 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
And yet you are.
Helpful comment. Thanks for your contribution.
ohmark, cruisr, SW7London and 9 others like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:03 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Haha, you do seem to be a nut allergy lightening rod

PAX declared allergy when boarding and then got offloaded. So I have sympathy with BA on this one, just could have been communicated better.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The passenger asked to be offloaded or was offloaded by BA? I still dont understand why a nut allergy causes an offload - I think you are familiar with the steps they take to ensure someone can fly with a nut allergy
Old May 8, 2022, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've had that on a longhaul, where virtually every meal on board in all cabins had tree nuts in them, and there was a family involved. The family was a little imprecise about the allergy (to peanuts, which is a bean not a nut) but the captain contacted control to see if the entire catering could be replaced to other dishes. Control I think gave an ambiguous answer to begin with and eventually said it wasn't possible. So family was offloaded, and thus baggage as well. Took a couple of hours all in, and the passengers ended up downgraded to economy on Qatar. It was just the feeling that somehow this had never happened before, knowing that of course it has.
alvinlwh, wrp96, KARFA and 4 others like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:08 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

The passenger asked to be offloaded or was offloaded by BA? I still dont understand why a nut allergy causes an offload - I think you are familiar with the steps they take to ensure someone can fly with a nut allergy
Not sure of the answer to this unfortunately. But Passenger offloaded with Hold Luggage (so im told at least). Another bizarre situation.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:13 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JackDann
Eventually got sorted. Passenger was put on this flight last minute and crew was unaware of allergy.

Passenger was offloaded and were

now on the way.

Would have been a non issue if it was explained a bit better by crew tbf
When I say on the way. Weve managed a good 10ft.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by JackDann
PAX declared allergy when boarding and then got offloaded. So I have sympathy with BA on this one, just could have been communicated better.
I expect there is more to this story.

I cannot believe a passenger declares an allergy on boarding AND BA involuntarily offloads them.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:20 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jameslon
I expect there is more to this story.

I cannot believe a passenger declares an allergy on boarding AND BA involuntarily offloads them.
I agree. Alot not adding up here. We also didnt see any passengers leave the aircraft.

Once again, this is smelling more and more like a brown substance that comes out of the rear end of a Bull.
DaveS and nancypants like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Expecting all the catering in the aircraft to change to suit one passenger is also a bit harsh, no?

BA tell passengers that they can't do that, too ( https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-and-pregnancy section "Food allergies")
Old May 8, 2022, 1:30 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Expecting all the catering in the aircraft to change to suit one passenger is also a bit harsh, no?

BA tell passengers that they can't do that, too ( https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-and-pregnancy section "Food allergies")
Indeed, so the passenger being offloaded would be the right outcome.

Some may find this harsh, but passengers who cause this should be fined for disruption caused. Im pretty pissed off that this has caused me at least an hour delay.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:36 pm
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
And yet you are.
Because im poor and wanted to use Avios. If I was paying cash and wasnt skint id have flown Easyjet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.