Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A question for cabin crew re: gifts / chocolates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A question for cabin crew re: gifts / chocolates

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 4:30 pm

I don't always do it, but find it a nice gesture every once in a while. I've never received anything but profuse thanks in return. Only the most cynical and jaded of FAs would scoff or do anything to make the gift giver uncomfortable, though in fairness I'm sure those exist. Last time I flew ANA F, I brought a nice box of Australian chocolates, and mid flight while going to the toilet saw them snacking on them in the galley with grins on their faces.

As long as you go into the interaction absolutely expecting nothing in return, I think in more often than not you will be pleasantly surprised. I try to make sure they are nice chocolates though, either Godiva, or a local brand. Generally something you wouldn't find onboard in service, and no cheap tacky brands.

Best case scenario, it makes somebody's day and gives you slightly more positive interactions with the crew during the flight. Worst case, it gets ignored and thrown away. More often than not, the former is true, and I find it worth the $10-20 spent, even though I certainly don't do it for every flight.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
DL actually has their ‘Job Well Done’ program where PMs and DMs get a couple of cards every year to give to employees who show exceptional customer service. They can be exchanged for $5 gift cards at places like Starbucks and Amazon and when redeemed also go into the employee’s personnel file and enough of those can help get you invited to the annual employees of the year gala, which is apparently a big deal for many employees.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:33 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Decades ago this would’ve been considered acceptable, polite, and kind. Nowadays, they’re likely to view it with suspicion unless they know you.
daftboy likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally posted by mwp1

Just a tad cringe worthy this thread imo , I’m a train driver and just imagining landing at xyz destination and someone offering me a box of milk tray, I'd run a mile.
In the days of the steam-hauled non-stop Flying Scotsman between London and Edinburgh it was not unknown (although extremely rare) at the end of the journey for a passenger to come through the tender corridor onto the footplate to thank the engine crew. Whether or not they brought chocolates or other gifts my father, who was an LNER driver, didn't say.
Old May 1, 2022, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
DL actually has their ‘Job Well Done’ program where PMs and DMs get a couple of cards every year to give to employees who show exceptional customer service. They can be exchanged for $5 gift cards at places like Starbucks and Amazon and when redeemed also go into the employee’s personnel file and enough of those can help get you invited to the annual employees of the year gala, which is apparently a big deal for many employees.
BA has a similar Golden Ticket scheme, although the recipient gets diddly squat for their efforts.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
On a fairly recent flight, the crew were excellent and I gave out a Golden Ticket. I did also submit a Well Done to three others (as I only had 1 GT with me).

I think they appreciated the gesture.

M

P.S. I did also take 5 of them out clubbing that night, which I know they appreciated more!
Geordie405 likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’ve done this a few times when flying long haul in a premium cabin, didn’t feel weird doing it and always got the impression that the crew were genuinely surprised and grateful. I often saw the crew enjoying the chocolates in the galley.

The sweetest reaction was from an IB crew.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

P.S. I did also take 5 of them out clubbing that night, which I know they appreciated more!
and with that revelation, a box of chocolates suddenly pales into utter insignificance
the810, DManzaluni and msm2000uk like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
“Don't be afraid to do something nice” at the end of the flight. 😀
Originally Posted by abraxias
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
and with that revelation, a box of chocolates suddenly pales into utter insignificance
Well, if we're going to start talking about doing something nice after the end of the flight, I expect that a few of us would have some stories to tell!
msm2000uk likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Quite honestly I feel that this thread is full of solutions to a non-existant problem. Can I help you gave the answer way back up thread. Leave it alone…a warm thank you is more than sufficient and anything else is too much. As others have said a warm smile and a propensity to be pleasant is an open sesame as a rule.

Some of the posts about handing out voucher or making gift packs just comes over as condescending to this European Sourpuss who does not see why people need to be tipped ( for let’s face it that’s what it amounts to like it or not) to do their jobs. Anyone who has given of themselves and made your day good is delighted to be praised and appreciated. It’s probably a culture difference but if someone wants to play Father Christmas fine, but this girl would never eat anything a stranger brought on board. Mother always told me not to take sweeties from strange men.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
What is wrong with genuine, non-materialistic appreciation? Why need to bring gifts to strangers prior to you knowing them?

And the ‘they know who I am’ argument.. Really? They do not know you as a person, they know you as a membership number.

I always find that genuine interest in people and a sincere thank you goes a lot further than anything else.

This week I found myself on a J flight to the Middle East where the passenger behind me was throwing a tantrum about something completely insignificant while still on the ground, and it was clear that he had a disrespect towards women. I asked the crew member who was being targeted to ask her supervisor to come talk to me at his convenience, because this was an absolutely unfair situation - I gave them both my contact details in case any complaint would be filed, and said I would like to present my perspective in such event, Not only were they extremely appreciative (supervisor took her side 100%) and she was close to tears of joy for me standing up for her.

To me, that is sincerity. Be kind, respectful and sincere (and not creepy) - that will help make the world a better place.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
What is wrong with genuine, non-materialistic appreciation? Why need to bring gifts to strangers prior to you knowing them?

And the ‘they know who I am’ argument.. Really? They do not know you as a person, they know you as a membership number.

I always find that genuine interest in people and a sincere thank you goes a lot further than anything else.

This week I found myself on a J flight to the Middle East where the passenger behind me was throwing a tantrum about something completely insignificant while still on the ground, and it was clear that he had a disrespect towards women. I asked the crew member who was being targeted to ask her supervisor to come talk to me at his convenience, because this was an absolutely unfair situation - I gave them both my contact details in case any complaint would be filed, and said I would like to present my perspective in such event, Not only were they extremely appreciative (supervisor took her side 100%) and she was close to tears of joy for me standing up for her.

To me, that is sincerity. Be kind, respectful and sincere (and not creepy) - that will help make the world a better place.
That my Darling is what is called being a Gentleman. Mum always said "what you put into life, you get back from life" - and that is the best example of all. You were her Champion. Well done you!
SKT-DK, Genius1 and abraxias like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I fear that we are heading down the same road as some other countries, where appreciation of service can only be shown by showering the person with money and gifts - and where, in fact, such a materialistic show of appreciation is now expected by the person whose job it is to serve you.

I like living in a country where, for the most part, a simple smile and "thank you" are still sufficient.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That my Darling is what is called being a Gentleman. Mum always said "what you put into life, you get back from life" - and that is the best example of all. You were her Champion. Well done you!
Thank you, madam Pucci! Just doing what is right, and helping someone being treated unfairly is the least we all can do. As a side note, the captain was ready to offload the guy, from what I was told based on the crew’s account of things and the support they received.

We did not hear a peep from the guy after that, but I had a great talk with the crew in the galley after that about everything from life to careers and all.. And all this was as human to human, not ‘service staff to passenger’!

Originally Posted by Misco60
I fear that we are heading down the same road as some other countries, where appreciation of service can only be shown by showering the person with money and gifts - and where, in fact, such a materialistic show of appreciation is now expected by the person whose job it is to serve you.

I like living in a country where, for the most part, a simple smile and "thank you" are still sufficient.
I could not agree more!!
Old May 2, 2022, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Thank you, madam Pucci! Just doing what is right, and helping someone being treated unfairly is the least we all can do. As a side note, the captain was ready to offload the guy, from what I was told based on the crew’s account of things and the support they received.

We did not hear a peep from the guy after that, but I had a great talk with the crew in the galley after that about everything from life to careers and all.. And all this was as human to human, not ‘service staff to passenger’!

I could not agree more!!
Angel - you just became a Mucci - Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore. Thoroughly deserved,
SKT-DK and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.