Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A question for cabin crew re: gifts / chocolates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A question for cabin crew re: gifts / chocolates

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Don't be afraid to do something nice” at the end of the flight. 😀
Are we still talking chocolates here? If yes, I thought if you pass them at the beginning of the flight, crew can share them during the flight. Else how would they share them at the end of flight? Once all passengers have deplaned, wouldn’t they too want to get out in a jiffy?
Outbound24 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Angel - you just became a Mucci - Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore. Thoroughly deserved,
For that honour to be bestowed upon me, I am tempted to pop that Pol Roger 2012 chilling in the fridge! Thank you, your highness
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:18 am
formerly JackDann

The more I read some of the responses, the more i'm in the 'Anti' gift camp. As I said previously, I would possibly give the crew a box of chocolates at the end of a flight, but only f I was travelling with my Girlfriend. As someone in their 20's though I would find me giving the crew a box of chocolates when travelling by myself slightly weird.

Unless I know the crew personally I probably just wouldn't bother at all tbh.

I enjoy tipping for good service - I give the barman at our local £20 at Christmas because he looks after us all year round. What i've noticed though, is more and more places now having a 'Service Charge' on the bill, my favourite restaurant here in Belfast now does it.. (10%) Hate that.
SKT-DK and sentosa like this.

Last edited by JD1905; May 2, 2022 at 5:27 am
Old May 2, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Back in the 90s I used to "commute" to Singapore/other parts of Asia. Initially on BA, but later on other airlines.
I stayed where the Co put me - Marina Mandarin, Pan pacific mainly.
All the hotels had an excessive number of flower displays.
For reasons lost in time, (associated with the horrible introduction of 747/400s), I developed a habit of paying about 10 Sing$ to a doorman, and taking a small flower display from the hotel out to my taxi to Changi/whichever airport.
Once at the airport, in the (initially) BA check in line, (F as I was Gold) I would pass over the flowers to the nearest check in operator. (Not to the BA Supervisor, Ishahak as he knew me well).

The check in staff always smiled at this silly Laowai giving out a bunch of flowers.

Some times I was with colleagues. I found it difficult to explain my habit..............except on one occasion when a colleague was wait listed, and not hopeful of getting a seat, but magically got on the plane when with me.
abraxias likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:31 am

It is a bit odd. Like I know you're really busy on boarding but here is some cheap, sickly, fattening food from a complete stranger that you haven't asked for or given any indication you want. It has been said 100 times now, but appreciation and respect can be shown with words and manner. You could even argue giving them chocolates is disrespectful as it assumes so much about them without knowing them.
ijgordon, SKT-DK, HIDDY and 4 others like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:50 am

Particularly on LongHaul flights most gift chocolates end up in the bin. The last thing most crew want at the end of a flight is some sugary snack, most just want a shower and sleep. The chocolates do the rounds on the crew bus, most just passing them on, and at the end of the journey go into the bin. Please just say thank you and mean it.

Last edited by Waterhorse; May 2, 2022 at 6:58 am
Old May 2, 2022, 7:33 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
For that honour to be bestowed upon me, I am tempted to pop that Pol Roger 2012 chilling in the fridge! Thank you, your highness
I keep Moët et Chandon in a pretty cabinet. The rest you know.

The whole concept is described in French as Ringard. The nearest word in English is cheesy.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I keep Moët et Chandon in a pretty cabinet. The rest you know.

The whole concept is described in French as Ringard. The nearest word in English is cheesy.
I never thought I would disagree with the amazing Pucci, but I am not a fan of Moët (please do not rescind my Mucci-ness)
Old May 2, 2022, 9:07 am

I feel a little bit sick (and not from the consumption of chocolate...).
Old May 2, 2022, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I never thought I would disagree with the amazing Pucci, but I am not a fan of Moët (please do not rescind my Mucci-ness)
Me neither - but I happen to have one in the fridge as it was a present.
SKT-DK likes this.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; May 3, 2022 at 2:23 am
Old May 2, 2022, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I'm going to start buying Starbucks gift cards and giving them to the baristas (but only if they spell my name correctly).
Bear4Asian, the810 and noob2022 like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Back in the 90s I used to "commute" to Singapore/other parts of Asia. Initially on BA, but later on other airlines.
I stayed where the Co put me - Marina Mandarin, Pan pacific mainly.
All the hotels had an excessive number of flower displays.
For reasons lost in time, (associated with the horrible introduction of 747/400s), I developed a habit of paying about 10 Sing$ to a doorman, and taking a small flower display from the hotel out to my taxi to Changi/whichever airport.
Once at the airport, in the (initially) BA check in line, (F as I was Gold) I would pass over the flowers to the nearest check in operator. (Not to the BA Supervisor, Ishahak as he knew me well).

The check in staff always smiled at this silly Laowai giving out a bunch of flowers.

Some times I was with colleagues. I found it difficult to explain my habit..............except on one occasion when a colleague was wait listed, and not hopeful of getting a seat, but magically got on the plane when with me.
This, is bizarre. The flower arrangements belong to the hotel, not the doorman. So you're effectively bribing the doorman to close an eye to a brazen theft?

Also don't the checkin counters (especially J and F) have flower arrangements already back in the day?
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:05 pm

No one ever thinks to tip the pilots for a job well done thank heavens - it would be mortifying.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
No one ever thinks to tip the pilots for a job well done thank heavens - it would be mortifying.
"Thanks for not crashing the plane - here's a Kit Kat" - words from a passenger no pilot ever wants to hear.
BOH, SKT-DK, Waterhorse and 5 others like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
My husband will say "thanks" when he passes the flight deck on disembarking. Sometimes when the landing is ultrasoft he will ask who was actually flying. That he has done at Air Nostrum as well. I think that their pilots go to a special school for landings so smooth are they as a rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.