Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A question for cabin crew re: gifts / chocolates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Probably a daft question, but something I’ve been wondering for a while; I’ve read about people bringing a (sealed) box of chocolates on a flight as a gift for cabin crew. What’s the reaction to this from the cabin crew? Is there an official policy about accepting chocolates etc? I read a thread on TripAdvisor where the reaction was “US based airlines have a policy of throwing away any food gifts given” but don’t know if this is true or not.

Reason I ask is that I’m flying quite regularly to the US (from the UK) and have thought of doing this before, but not sure if it’s acceptable/appropriate/appreciated. Last thing I want is any awkwardness! I should say that the intention is not to gain an upgrade / free stream of unlimited champagne / any kind of preferential treatment. It would just be a small gesture to say thank you for doing what I consider to be a difficult job!

My flights are generally BA operated, but next weeks is a BA ticket on an AA flight. Generally I’m lucky enough to fly F.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:08 am

I think courtesy and respect to CC would be more appreciated.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by passy777
Totally agree, and that’s a given. Cabin crew get that (from me at least) already.
Genius1, PETER01, passy777 and 4 others like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:14 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by passy777
Goes without saying though really doesn’t it.

I think it’s a nice gesture to give chocolates or something. I’m not sure if I would or not though, on the fence.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JackDann
I think it’s a nice gesture to give chocolates or something. I’m not sure if I would or not though, on the fence.
That’s exactly where I am right now. Fine line between a nice gesture and a bit creepy (giving chocolates I mean, not me in general!!). But it would be good to hear a CC members thoughts on it.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by JackDann
Goes without saying though really doesn’t it.
For the majority it does, unfortunately, I have seen too many pax full of their own importance who treat crew with contempt.
awayIgo, Tobias-UK and arcticflier like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Must say I find the idea pretty tacky myself, although that’s just personal opinion.

(but if you do decide on such a plan, best make the chocolates Lindt truffles …… and that way the CC can offer them to pax if by chance the F class dessert has not been loaded)
Koru Flyer, DYKWIA, rjn21 and 23 others like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Absolutely no to giving chocolates or any gifts, if you appreciate the service you receive from your cabin crew then please tell them as I’m sure they would love to hear this, gifts are always looked on as suspicious.
Koru Flyer, IAN-UK, Dan72 and 40 others like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
When I commuted weekly with SAS/BA I got to know a lot of the crew and on my last flight at Christmas I usually bought some chocolates in duty free (I asked the shop to seal the bag so it was obviously genuine and untampered)and gave them to the crew. They always seemed grateful - on one flight I saw the crew divide them out into cups and hand them out among themselves (every crew member including the captain came and thanked me which was a bit much but nice) and on SAS the crew had some and offered them to kids on the flight too.

I thought it was a nice touch considering I spent almost as much time with them as I did with my family at that time.
eglise, ringingup, Daner and 4 others like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:44 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
When I commuted weekly with SAS/BA I got to know a lot of the crew and on my last flight at Christmas I usually bought some chocolates in duty free (I asked the shop to seal the bag so it was obviously genuine and untampered)and gave them to the crew. They always seemed grateful - on one flight I saw the crew divide them out into cups and hand them out among themselves (every crew member including the captain came and thanked me which was a bit much but nice) and on SAS the crew had some and offered them to kids on the flight too.

I thought it was a nice touch considering I spent almost as much time with them as I did with my family at that time.
Yeah I like this - Similarly the same lady works on checkout at our local Tesco every week and we’ll buy her a gift at Christmas.

I’ve had a thought about giving CC a gift and have decided that my approach would be to keep a box of chocolates, and if the service is good then i’d hand them over as a thank you at the end of the flight. If not… nomnomnom
BlueJayFlyer likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Tredders
Probably a daft question, but something I’ve been wondering for a while; I’ve read about people bringing a (sealed) box of chocolates on a flight as a gift for cabin crew. What’s the reaction to this from the cabin crew? Is there an official policy about accepting chocolates etc? I read a thread on TripAdvisor where the reaction was “US based airlines have a policy of throwing away any food gifts given” but don’t know if this is true or not.

Reason I ask is that I’m flying quite regularly to the US (from the UK) and have thought of doing this before, but not sure if it’s acceptable/appropriate/appreciated. Last thing I want is any awkwardness! I should say that the intention is not to gain an upgrade / free stream of unlimited champagne / any kind of preferential treatment. It would just be a small gesture to say thank you for doing what I consider to be a difficult job!

My flights are generally BA operated, but next weeks is a BA ticket on an AA flight. Generally I’m lucky enough to fly F.

Thanks in advance for any info.
I will often buy chocolates for short haul crews for them to hopefully enjoy on the turnaround or layover as I’d worry they were wasted if crews were unable/unwilling to take the, througH customs.

For AA flights I will give a Waitrose Gift Card as they stay at the [name of hotel removed by moderator] in London and there’s a crew room at the hotel and there’s a mini Waitrose next door and they can get treats/a ready meal/salad/some English stuff to take home.

A lot of the crews especially from/to Miami are regulars so I’ll give that on US bound flights too if I don’t have any Starbucks Gift cards on me and they can trade with colleagues or save for their next trip.

I’ll always offer it towards the end of the flight so that it can’t be construed as a bribe for better service.

Last edited by Prospero; May 1, 2022 at 3:00 am Reason: Remove location of crew accommodation
Old May 1, 2022, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Some very good points KeaneJohn, genuine thanks such as yours at the end of the flight would generally be appreciated.
Ian429 likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:31 am

Surely depends on the chocolate no?

In seriousness, whilst the gesture I’m sure comes from a good place; in some cases it can come across almost as a ‘bribe’ to receive the best service, for which there’s no need.
As mentioned by others, a simple thanks is enough.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:35 am

When I flew standby/duty as a staffer I'd always bring something for the crew. No hidden agendas, no desires to be "bumped up" (especially as I either already had F priority or flew on flights with only Club), just to give something back. From speaking to my wife, whenever they get some presents it's normally from fellow airline employees or at Christmas and it's in good nature.

She once had a very creepy experience with a man in F who wanted to buy her something from the duty free. He was extremely insistent, she kept on refusing (she had some bad vibes about him) and deflected him to a donation to Flying Start. Eventually he started harassing her on LinkedIn and stopped only when she threatened to contact his employer.
Balrog910, MFCC and AirbusA350 like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:41 am

I would've thought cabin crew pass by so many airport duty free outlets that have plenty of chocolates on offer, hence indulging in chocolates isn't something that they'd be terribly keen on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.