Wiki Posts
Search

Assigned Middle Seat in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
This suggests that the airline could move your seat from long-haul business to coach but still provide you a business class meal and lounge access and free checked bag and weasel their way out of the EC261 downgrade compensation. I hate the term, but it is a slippery slope here. IMHO, the seating/personal space is the ONLY thing that should be factored into defining a downgrade. I do think someone should file for a 75% refund, particularly an elite who has a free bag, priority security/boarding, and lounge access already and thus the only benefits of J are space and a meal, and the space was taken away. I think it's a pretty good case...
Not really since you wouldn't be in business. Blocked space is not the only thing that defines the business product.

And no I don't think it is a pretty good case, but yes I think you are due something back from BA to reflect the loss of this element of the service.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:51 pm

One idea is for BA to go all Economy and offer options like Economy Light no checked bags seats assigned at checkin or airport, Economy Regular 1 Checked Bag and 1 Carryon plus Beverages and Economy Extra All this plus a Light Meal and alcohol depending on length.

Me personally I will not pay for Club Europe just to have the middle seat blocked.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Making the headlines

I see the daily mail has picked up on this – although doesn’t go into much detail, just the fact that it happened and people had paid several hundred pounds more for a supposed business seat. The airline told the newspaper that everything was back to normal now.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-Airways.html
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 1P
Dream on!
Try flying on Cathay in Business from Hong Kong to Shanghai for £250 return...If you want a "proper" business class seat in Europe you'd have to pay a lot lot more. There isn't the market for it. Why would airlines provide that just to appease the mileage vultures redeeming for "pennies on the dollar"...
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Originally Posted by danielonn
One idea is for BA to go all Economy and offer options like Economy Light no checked bags seats assigned at checkin or airport, Economy Regular 1 Checked Bag and 1 Carryon plus Beverages and Economy Extra All this plus a Light Meal and alcohol depending on length.

Me personally I will not pay for Club Europe just to have the middle seat blocked.
On short haul I value emergency access seats rather than cramped business class seats......food is meh! anyway and so just eat in the lounge before leaving
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by danielonn

But you’d pay extra for Euro Traveller Plus to get the light meal and alcohol but no free middle seat?

Don’t forget the product also includes another major benefit: lounge access for those otherwise not entitled. So you’re not just paying for a seat block and a meal!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:05 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by labdoctor
Try flying on Cathay in Business from Hong Kong to Shanghai for £250 return...If you want a "proper" business class seat in Europe you'd have to pay a lot lot more. There isn't the market for it. Why would airlines provide that just to appease the mileage vultures redeeming for "pennies on the dollar"...
I was comparing business fares within Europe to First class fares within the USA. There is no comparison, either in price or in what is offered.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1P
I was comparing business fares within Europe to First class fares within the USA. There is no comparison, either in price or in what is offered.
It's a mixed bag when you compare Europe and US business class, even before you get to price. Contrast things like lounge access, provisions of meals, and seats. Somethings are better in the US, some better in Europe.
BlueThroughCrimp and TTmex like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
But you’d pay extra for Euro Traveller Plus to get the light meal and alcohol but no free middle seat?

Don’t forget the product also includes another major benefit: lounge access for those otherwise not entitled. So you’re not just paying for a seat block and a meal!
The problem is for many they are not getting multiple parts of the deal. The queues are so long they have no time for lounges, the seating is changed to 3-3 so they get no empty middle seat and then often food choices are not available at the best of times, then you land and BA say you can have your luggage in a week. Maybe a slight exaggeration but the carrier is falling apart it seems.
SxMan likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:21 am

Cash price LHR-EDI today in ET £329, CE £457. Avios availability in CE!

So FTV your cash ticket and buy one of the Avios ones, then you'll get everything except tier points:

Lounge access, food, middle seat - rather than aisle or window!, etc

Claim for compo and 10,000 avios back!

Might work on other routes?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
They have been, or were earlier, releasing avios biz seats one at a time for ams and others from early this morning. Regular avios price, no economy.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
The problem is for many they are not getting multiple parts of the deal. The queues are so long they have no time for lounges, the seating is changed to 3-3 so they get no empty middle seat and then often food choices are not available at the best of times, then you land and BA say you can have your luggage in a week. Maybe a slight exaggeration but the carrier is falling apart it seems.
But this is the exception, not the norm.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 1P
In the US don't you get a bag of potato chips thrown at you on flights under 800 miles or so?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
As I said in my earlier post its not the doing it I have an issue with, it is the frequency it is occurring now that I have a problem with
if it's a regular occurance doesn't it become a Trading Standards and Advertising Standards Authority issue due to missleading marketing?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA
If you go on a train in first class the better seat is all you get. BA not providing that is not providing what was sold. Sure, if things have become disorganised one doesn't want to leave people stranded. But club should just be cancelled, and passengers compensated back to economy fare.

If you buy business class you can get out your laptop and documents and work. You can't do that when 3-across and your elbows even when sat up straight are up against your neighbours. It's not what you purchased.
LCY8737, SxMan and Karen Jackson like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.