Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assigned Middle Seat in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a response to once a decade disruption caused by external factors eg massive fog disruption this seems a fair and sensible response. 4 times in 3 months is most certainly not fair or appropriate.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I do not disagree that it is not the complete CE service they are offering and bits they are offering today may not be the bits you want or need

Some level of compensation has been offered when requested when this has happened in the past
I had the same issue as the result of knock-on impact from a previous IT failure where my BHD-LHR CE flight was condensed, which saw me being turfed out of row 4 (window) into a middle seat in row 3 - so they could put in an extra row of Y. This was a redemption booking and their "compensation" was to award me 4500 avios as the difference between CE and Economy. This was because, on that day, they had chosen to cancel 2 out of the 4 BHD-LHR services. It's a slap in the face, and NO - it's not still the same CE service. Anyone with Silver or Gold status will already have lounge access before the flight, and TBH the food offering on board is not usually what drives people to book CE (certainly not me) - its the SPACE.

This seems to be their new model. Self-inflicted issues arise (whether chronic IT failures due to years of underinvestment and losing/making redundant experienced staff who knew how it all works); letting too many people go during the pandemic, leading to staff shortages in CC and ground handling services; and looking at this as a quick and easy way to get themselves out of a hole they dug. They are still selling Club Europe on their website stating "We keep the middle seat free so you can always enjoy a guaranteed window or aisle seat and more personal space for working and relaxing."

I love BA - it's still my favorite airline (despite its flaws), and I take heart in the fact that Sean Doyle is acknowledging the shortcomings for both customers and staff, but they need to stop this particular practice now.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
.... but they need to stop this particular practice now.
As I said in my earlier post its not the doing it I have an issue with, it is the frequency it is occurring now that I have a problem with
efincomputer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by abligh
Here is the email:

This is a bit of a porky-pie in my case. My email relates to BA709 tomorrow (ZRH->LON). It could only be full in CE because on Saturday last week they cancelled the later BA711 - with a week's notice, they could easily have chartered another plane, so this is a cost thing. Moreover, for inexplicable reasons they have not moved back the curtain on BA713 which has plenty of availability in Y but none in J (which I am currently on hold to the GGL line for, in a yet another attempt to get onto having been waitlisted, else I will switch to LCY). And to cap it all BA709 isn't actually that full as it only has 5 rows of J, and enough Y availability to move the curtain back by at least one row. But that would mean they couldn't sell more Y tickets!
It's exactly the same email they sent out in February. They even put it 3-3 on some routes that were not disrupted.

Still awaiting a response from BA following that as well, having had I think three "sorry you are waiting" emails.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
As I said in my earlier post its not the doing it I have an issue with, it is the frequency it is occurring now that I have a problem with
Agreed. If this was a "once in a blue moon" issue due to unforseen circumstances (volcanic eruption; traffic controller strike; conflict somewhere) then it would be less of a problem when viewed as a way to get everyone home with minimum delay and disruption. Fine - i could live with that. Repeatedly doing it because you're IT is sh*t and you're choosing to cancel and consolidate services as a result - yeah, that's not on.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
What, if any, compensation was offered? Was this proactive or only for those who complained?
Proactive?
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
So glad I booked my Easter trip with TAP. And to think that I only booked them because they were half the price. I really wanted to book BA. Ironic.
Sealink and babyg_wc like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
The reason it can STILL be called Club Europe is because this has been the Business Class model within Europe for 30+ years now. Only in Europe nobody kicks up a fuss that the seat isn't substantially more opulent or offering significantly more legroom than Economy to a degree that the airlines are forced to reconsider the model. People are still stumping up the cash fares after all this time so something about it is clearly working.
I was shocked in the US that on a two hour flight in "First" class I was offered crisps. But a big seat
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
I was shocked in the US that on a two hour flight in "First" class I was offered crisps. But a big seat
I think that is because of the demographics in the US. You need a big seat to fit the people but try to say you do not condone obesity by giving them less food
Vaclav, Sealink and fluffymitten like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Sealink
Crisps? Chips, surely?!
RJD1983, Sealink and m8_rotate like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think that is because of the demographics in the US. You need a big seat to fit the people but try to say you do not condone obesity by giving them less food
Wow, stereotype much? Think you need to get out on the streets of Britain a little more.
SK, makin'miles, Glensea and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
The reason it can STILL be called Club Europe is because this has been the Business Class model within Europe for 30+ years now. Only in Europe nobody kicks up a fuss that the seat isn't substantially more opulent or offering significantly more legroom than Economy to a degree that the airlines are forced to reconsider the model. People are still stumping up the cash fares after all this time so something about it is clearly working.
I've never understood the European model. Is there any other region of the world where the airlines do this? Even here in Japan, where domestic flights are shorter than many European routes, ANA's premium cabin has wide seats with 50 inches of pitch. (Better even than US domestic F, which is also better than European business class.)
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I am earnestly asking this, because I don't know - does any other major European airline do this in case of irregular operations? I don't think I've heard of any, but welcome to be corrected.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I've never understood the European model. Is there any other region of the world where the airlines do this? Even here in Japan, where domestic flights are shorter than many European routes, ANA's premium cabin has wide seats with 50 inches of pitch. (Better even than US domestic F, which is also better than European business class.)
Canadian used to operate their 737-200's in the same (middle seat blocked configuration) for Business Class back in the late 80's / Early 90's. I think thats about your lot.
Unimatrix One likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by dcmike
I am earnestly asking this, because I don't know - does any other major European airline do this in case of irregular operations? I don't think I've heard of any, but welcome to be corrected.
Reasonably sure LH/LX/TP don't do this. No clue about other airlines.

What really triggers me with BA is the "to help as many people as possible" statement, which basically says you're a horrible person if you disagree with our strategy. No. This is because of BA's commercial decision not to invest in redundant IT systems and sufficient staffing levels. They caused this, they should take ownership, and 10k Avios is not good enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.