Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Assigned Middle Seat in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackDann
It’s quite a clear and obvious breach of CRA in my view. Product not delivered as advertised.
This is irrelevant. The point is that the Montreal Convention will pre-empt any claim based on national law, whether contractual, tortious or any other type of claim.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by NickB
But that would not get you very far as the contractual action would be pre-empted by the Montreal Convention.

Seeking a legal remedy is not going to be particularly fruitful in this situation. Customer relations and PR are the avenues to follow. And if that does not get you what you want, then voting with your feet and fly a carrier that you prefer remains the ultimate solution to the problem.
I agree that Customer Relations and PR is the better avenue or as you say vote with your feet and go via another airline. The latter action is realistically not going to happen for most simply because although there are multiple other flights to choose from they may not be as convenient or they need their TPs to maintain grasp on a shiny card or indeed the alternative offers as bad a service as BA, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Of course that is exactly why BA does what it does because it knows it can get away with it. Also BA has the option of enhancing away the current J service and permanently removing the empty middle seat. I suspect people would still fly J because of the lounge and the TP and extra Avios.

That said I do think BA is in a precarious situation as there seems to be more bad news than good these days with BA from awful queues to last minute cancellations to multiple IT meltdowns to very high Y and J fares and to fed up staff who appear not to be apologising anymore and rather just explaining it as it is to the fare paying public. So you never know there may not be a BA at all and then what would we do on a Sunday morning without an airline to complain about?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Judging by a few comments here, I could see BA in future wheeling out the old "due to overwhelmingly positive customer feedback regarding the usage of middle seats in Club Europe, we have decided to continue with this for the foreseeable future"
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:28 am
formerly JackDann

This is irrelevant. The point is that the Montreal Convention will pre-empt any claim based on national law, whether contractual, tortious or any other type of claim.
I’m not certain that the Montreal Convention dismisses any claim under the CRA. But i’ll find out next month when my case against BA is due to be heard.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:31 am

But that would not get you very far as the contractual action would be pre-empted by the Montreal Convention.

Seeking a legal remedy is not going to be particularly fruitful in this situation. Customer relations and PR are the avenues to follow. And if that does not get you what you want, then voting with your feet and fly a carrier that you prefer remains the ultimate solution to the problem.
Nick - how does the Montreal Convention apply here in this context?
JD1905 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Judging by a few comments here, I could see BA in future wheeling out the old "due to overwhelmingly positive customer feedback regarding the usage of middle seats in Club Europe, we have decided to continue with this for the foreseeable future"
A particular lawyer would probably come back with his nanny
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
I've read the Montreal convention and I'm not seeing how this would excuse BA's liability here. Indeed, it seems to me that its scope is limited to delays, injury/death of passengers and damage to baggage/cargo or indeed loss of these.

The matter at hand here does not deal with the above, so I'm not seeing the get out here. Then again, I am not a lawyer.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:45 am

Not the case on a UK-only itinerary though?
NickB likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:47 am
formerly JackDann

This was BA’s response to my recent claim for not receiving the service as advertised in CE. I’d imagine BA will offer a similar response in regards to this matter.

What i’ve missed out is that they got the airport name wrong and also falsely claimed to have offered me compensation.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SW7London
Art 29 of the Montreal Convention provides that any action for damages in the "carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo" , however founded, including in contract, tort or otherwise, is subject to the conditions and limits of liability specified in the Convention. Therefore, if you are within the scope of the Montreal Convention (essentially the matter relates to what happens (or does not happen) during the flight), you can only claim damages if the claim is actionable under the Montreal Convention (which it would not be here).
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by JackDann
This was BA’s response to my recent claim for not receiving the service as advertised in CE. I’d imagine BA will offer a similar response in regards to this matter.

What i’ve missed out is that they got the airport name wrong and also falsely claimed to have offered me compensation.
and you appeared to have indicated you want comped for a downgrade to Y. BA disputes that the service offered was Y as you seem to claim. In my mind you are right that it was not J they are right that it was not Y

If people ask for a comp for downgrade to Y i expect they will get the same response

I do not understand this idea that because its not J it must be Y. I do agree thecservice was downgraded from thevJ service advertised. I do not agree in was dowgraded so far it was Y
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SW7London
It’s Article 29 that is the operative clause:

“In the carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo, any action for damages, however 121 founded, whether under this Convention or in contract or in tort or otherwise, can only be brought subject to the conditions and such limits of liability as are set out in this Convention without prejudice to the question as to who are the persons who have the right to bring suit and what are their respective rights. In any such action, punitive, exemplary or any other non-compensatory damages shall not be recoverable.”
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cauchy
Not the case on a UK-only itinerary though?
Good point. We would need to check whether we have unilaterally voluntarily extended the scope of the Convention to domestic flights but the Convention itself only applies to flights between contracting parties.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:01 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
and you appeared to have indicated you want comped for a downgrade to Y. BA disputes that the service offered was Y as you seem to claim. In my mind you are right that it was not J they are right that it was not Y

If people ask for a comp for downgrade to Y i expect they will get the same response

I do not understand this idea that because its not J it must be Y. I do agree thecservice was downgraded from thevJ service advertised. I do not agree in was dowgraded so far it was Y
It doesn’t matter how far it’s been downgraded. If the service isn’t as advertised then there is a legitimate claim under the CRA. Of course this could be avoided if BA were to offer a reasonable amount of compensation. This never happened in my case.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Thats what i said.
I wasn't disagreeing with you but I was saying that BA probably doesn't do this as it is cheaper for them only to deal with a smaller number of passengers who actually complain rather than automatically comping every J passenger.

As for the rest of my post i was trying to point out that those who forgive BA for its current actions might not be quite so forgiving if they were to actually suffer being put in the middle seat and receive a lesser J service.

I would argue with them that they got no food because of IRROPS but still got to travel in J. That is essentially their argument for why no compensation is due for the lack of an empty middle seat.

Except they forget that those passengers in A and C seats have not suffered an IRROPS, they are booked on the original service which "guaranteed" an empty seat.

I've amended my original post to make it clearer. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Last edited by AJA_; Apr 3, 2022 at 3:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.