Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a reasonable chance to fix things for you before you take matters into your own hands.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If BA have given you a rebooking on the same day for a short-haul (typically up to about 4 hours flight time), previous cases submitted for judgement by 3rd parties have considered this remedy reasonable, so arranging your own transport in this situation is not advised. However a rebooking on the same day might still not meet your needs (ie. not being able to get there by a specific time resulted in your trip being in vain) so you can still not travel.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.

If you were booked on a return or multi-segment jorney, and your outbound or earlier flight in your sequence is disrupted but you make your own way to your destination, you will need to contact BA to let them know this, and to protect the other flights in your ticket. By default if you no-show for a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket get auto-cancelled. In the situation where there is significant disruption this could mean that your seat is released without your knowledge to another disrupted passenger, so there is an onus on you to communicate your intentions to BA as soon as possible for them to protect your onward flights, and it probably means a phone call as you can't expect a timely response from social media channels.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

£25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
£200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
£50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

Signposting some specific posts in the thread
#45 - for a list of flights that were observed to be cancelled
#162 - for a photo of the BA customer letter that was handed out later on Saturday

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you get the remaining aspect of CE, I would see this more under the Consumer Rights Act and/or contract law rather than EC261, though it's worth a punt. It is probably the wrong way to look at this, I would seek a remedy from BA after the flight for any relevant shortcomings, we don't need to frame everything via EC261.
Is it wise to frame the email to BA in terms of what you are seeking?

I had a similar situation on Monday where CE was 3-3 (albeit I'm not sure why as no flights to my destination had been cancelled and there was plenty space in ET) and will be contacting them upon return. Meals and drinks service were all delivered just fine, with the crew very proactive.

However they extra space by virtue of the middle seat being free is what they advertise and that wasn't delivered. I'd like some portion of the fare difference between CE and economy refunded as a result. Don't expect all of the difference back as not everything was missing.

Fully expect the cut and paste 'go away' email in return, but we will see.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you get the remaining aspect of CE, I would see this more under the Consumer Rights Act and/or contract law rather than EC261, though it's worth a punt. It is probably the wrong way to look at this, I would seek a remedy from BA after the flight for any relevant shortcomings, we don't need to frame everything via EC261.
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
However they extra space by virtue of the middle seat being free is what they advertise and that wasn't delivered. I'd like some portion of the fare difference between CE and economy refunded as a result. Don't expect all of the difference back as not everything was missing.
I agree with both points here, there will definitely be something missing as a free middle seat is advertised as part of the product... but quite how much missing will depend on the service actually received.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
I'm due to fly at 12:05: I'm fully expecting that to be cancelled too, but my bag is already checked in so I guess I'll have to go to the airport regardless...
Well, I now have a (B) gate, so my flight may possibly go ahead after all! With 2 cancelled flights to the destination ahead of me, I'm fully expecting the 3-seat CE arrangement, but I'm ok with that for now if I get to my destination today...

Looks like at least some SH flights are now starting to move.

Last edited by JustTheOne; Feb 26, 2022 at 4:40 am
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Is it wise to frame the email to BA in terms of what you are seeking?

I had a similar situation on Monday where CE was 3-3 (albeit I'm not sure why as no flights to my destination had been cancelled and there was plenty space in ET) and will be contacting them upon return. Meals and drinks service were all delivered just fine, with the crew very proactive.
Yes, I think it is helpful to decide what is a suitable remedy, and then if you think it's reasonable, pursuing BA for it. For me, if I was put in this position and the remaining aspect of CE were provided in terms of food and drink, I would seek from BA sufficient Avios to more than cover a UuA from ET to CE on a future journey. But we are all different and I'm not suggesting my approach is right, fair or necessarily appropriate.
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Just had e mail from BA about use of middle seat on my GLA/LHR flight to day As a result of the impact, we have had to take the difficult decision today to temporarily use the middle seats in our Club cabin for Club Europe customers, to help get as many people away as possible.

Quite frankly in the great scheme of things this is a pretty minor inconvenience at least they are trying to accommodate as many as possible . But if they cancel this flight as they have done my earlier one I might not be so sympathetic
AJA_ likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Ok, so I was stuck in Amman and rebooked on the app to the next BA direct Monday as I could not get through to the Gold line. Spin forward a few hours later, I did get through and despite having rebooked, they put me on Qatar tonight AMM-DOH-LHR all the way in business (I was already on J ticket).

All was pretty painless, just a quick check with a supervisor, and the agent was super helpful. So.. it's worth a call. Hold time was 5 mins.. whole thing was sorted in 10.

Bit of a wild divert, but DOH-LHR is the 380.. no Q suite, but still fun. Better than 5hrs on a 320 NEO. Only downside is I have to drive when I get back.
Carfield, MaxFlyer, wrp96 and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by midvid
Ok, so I was stuck in Amman and rebooked on the app to the next BA direct Monday as I could not get through to the Gold line. Spin forward a few hours later, I did get through and despite having rebooked, they put me on Qatar tonight AMM-DOH-LHR all the way in business (I was already on J ticket).

All was pretty painless, just a quick check with a supervisor, and the agent was super helpful. So.. it's worth a call. Hold time was 5 mins.. whole thing was sorted in 10.

Bit of a wild divert, but DOH-LHR is the 380.. no Q suite, but still fun. Better than 5hrs on a 320 NEO. Only downside is I have to drive when I get back.
I would add to that, if you go down this route, as ever be armed with the alternative flight details you want, that smooths thing along.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by midvid

good result. As long as your BAEC number is in you should get TPs. Probably best not to file a ORC under these circumstances
alex67500 and midvid like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
Just arrived for our afternoon flight to IAD which is running
HAL will not allow anyone on level 5 Departures at t5 until your flight is within 3hrs
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:11 am

Some data point. My flights to KEF this morning was cancelled, tried to contact BAH by email to rebook, no reply for over 3 hours, during this time called GGL line a few times, last one got through for about 20 minutes waiting, the agent was very helpful, she told me my flight was automatically rebooked on Monday. I asked for alternatives and she offered FI flight today which I accepted. After another 10 minutes she liaised with BAH and had the tickets reissued.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PantsFlyer
Just arrived for our afternoon flight to IAD which is running
HAL will not allow anyone on level 5 Departures at t5 until your flight is within 3hrs
On the other thread for general discussion it's been disclosed that if you go to arrivals you can get up to departures in some of the lifts, not the northern most ones.
The _Banking_Scot and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:31 am

So I’ve given up on BA and used my Lufthansa miles to book myself on a flight at three hours notice. T2 is operating totally normally, no-one in front of me at priority check-in, Gold Track was empty, and now drinking margaritas in the United Club. Goodness knows what the status of the Galleries First is like now.

BA are a total and utter shambles at the moment.
BearX220, Genius1, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:45 am

Honestly though, if it continues like this BA will lose more money in compensations, rebookings, etc. than it would spend if it just upgraded its IT system. Seriously considering switching my US trip in March to AA...
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Have a UVF->LHR->MAN booked to arrive into LHR first thing tomorrow (Sun) morning. If the MAN sector is cancelled and we haven’t accepted a rebook (as we would be in the air at the time) - where do our bags go? Do we have to go to baggage reclaim and ask for them?

Could we claim ORC if we make our own arrangements? (Just need 5tp to make gold and year ends in a week)

I wouldn’t be taking a later fight but would jump
on train as actually self connecting in MAN onto a LM fight to NQY which I wouldn’t make.
BA refund helper likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
Honestly though, if it continues like this BA will lose more money in compensations, rebookings, etc. than it would spend if it just upgraded its IT system. Seriously considering switching my US trip in March to AA...
Shifting to AA won't take any money from BA thanks to the transatlantic JV Revenue Share...
flyertalker0013223 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.