Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a reasonable chance to fix things for you before you take matters into your own hands.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If BA have given you a rebooking on the same day for a short-haul (typically up to about 4 hours flight time), previous cases submitted for judgement by 3rd parties have considered this remedy reasonable, so arranging your own transport in this situation is not advised. However a rebooking on the same day might still not meet your needs (ie. not being able to get there by a specific time resulted in your trip being in vain) so you can still not travel.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.

If you were booked on a return or multi-segment jorney, and your outbound or earlier flight in your sequence is disrupted but you make your own way to your destination, you will need to contact BA to let them know this, and to protect the other flights in your ticket. By default if you no-show for a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket get auto-cancelled. In the situation where there is significant disruption this could mean that your seat is released without your knowledge to another disrupted passenger, so there is an onus on you to communicate your intentions to BA as soon as possible for them to protect your onward flights, and it probably means a phone call as you can't expect a timely response from social media channels.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

£25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
£200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
£50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

Signposting some specific posts in the thread
#45 - for a list of flights that were observed to be cancelled
#162 - for a photo of the BA customer letter that was handed out later on Saturday

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by KARFA
That's difficult to predict. Have a look at other options tomorrow - perhaps it may be worth your while booking another airline and then getting a FTV for your BA one so use that towards a future trip. If you go for the FTV leave it until close to the flight to request as it may be get cancelled which will let you get compensation and refund instead.
many thanks! I have receive a later email, a copy of the one issued a week ago about travel disruption and having to fit people in the middle row of Club Europe. As I do not have access to online check-in, I have looked of FE latest seat map, and it show the three seats, it was reduced from 5 to 4 rows, but only really the 4th row has the three available seats (all others middle seats are still blocked..

Old Feb 26, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The replacement flight is based on its scheduled, rather than actual timing, but there are some nuances to the wording of the Regulation here. But keep an eye on this, I wouldn't take Flight Status as definitely correct until tomorrow. In any case, you can only claim after the event so it's best to look at this in the light of what actually happens.
Thanks c-w-s! I don't follow things as closely here as I used to given the downturn in travel, but glad to see you're still helping me and dozens of others with practical advice and responses.

I presume from the cancellation and then the significant delay of the rebooked earlier flight that there's no aircraft overnighting at Newcastle, and the delay to the earlier BA1321 is in fact because it's effectively the return of the first flight up from Heathrow on Sunday morning. In which case, why don't they just cancel the BA1321 and then announce a much smaller delay to the BA1325?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
A friend of mine accepted a new itinerary via MAD for her flight to TFS. She said the this morning she could only see an option with a long layover online. She accepted it then tried to call to ask to be moved to an earlier flight and BA wouldn’t let her change. One representative in India said that only one change was allowed. Someone in Newcastle cited the booking being booked with a Lloyds voucher as the reason why they couldn’t touch it, even if it’s within 24 hours from flying. I was surprised…
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Qatar Airways flight out of T5 tomorrow and I got a manual phone call from Italy telling me to arrive 4 hours early due to the expected chaos emitting from the general direction of British Airways.
choosethedrew and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well as I feared, whilst in the air my onward BA1372 to Manchester was cancelled. It will be a trip in vain as I’ll miss my unconnected onward flight to NQY from there, so it’s a taxi to NQY instead. I’m hoping I can claim the EC261 for a cancellation which should cover the taxi. (Obviously claiming for a taxi as expenses won’t work as it’s not to Manchester)
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
Well as I feared, whilst in the air my onward BA1372 to Manchester was cancelled. It will be a trip in vain as I’ll miss my unconnected onward flight to NQY from there, so it’s a taxi to NQY instead. I’m hoping I can claim the EC261 for a cancellation which should cover the taxi. (Obviously claiming for a taxi as expenses won’t work as it’s not to Manchester)
Ah. Now they have auto rebooked me onto the next one that doesn’t work for me with a note to call BAH if that doesn’t suit. I can’t do that as I’m 90 mins out in the air on my return leg. (Uvf-Lhr-man). How best to get my bags? Should I go to flight connections and find someone there and say I don’t want it - or take the exit stream and find someone in the baggage hall?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Not on my route either - same aircraft but middle seats used in C and seat map adjusted accordingly now with a few more rows being switched from CE to ET. In fairness, this has led to a few seats becoming available to book in Y tomorrow between NCE and LHR (full fare Y but useful for people who were affected by cancellations) so whilst thinking that it would be fair to give C passengers some compensation, I still think that opening the middle seats in C exceptionally is the right decision to make.
I could not disagree more in my case as the major benefit to the airline seems to be their ability to sell the middle CE seats for just shy of a thousand pounds each on my route. I understand that there are numerous instances of people being stranded but they are still selling tickets in both cabins for my departure and the morning departure today. This appears to be a money grab. I quite literally only booked a CE seat for the empty middle seat as I didn't want to sit next to anyone. The food definitely isn't worth the price difference. If I had simply wanted more leg room I would have booked an exit row seat. Absolutely pathetic.

Bob
Silver Fox and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:37 am

Here's the first 22 flights cancelled so far today, they only seem to go up as far as 10am at the moment so I wonder if there are going to be any more...

06:05 BA472 Barcelona (BCN)
06:10 BA2748 Geneva (GVA)
06:25 BA2576 Turin (TRN)
06:55 BA724 Geneva (GVA)
07:15 BA762 Oslo (OSL)
07:15 BA564 Milan (LIN)
07:15 BA2652 Salzburg (SZG)
07:20 BA2770 Jersey (JER)
07:25 BA1324 Newcastle (NCL)
07:45 BA772 Zurich (ZRH)
07:45 BA1370 Manchester (MAN)
08:20 BA880 Moscow (DME)
08:20 BA1450 Edinburgh (EDI)
08:30 BA1372 Manchester (MAN)
08:35 BA2690 Innsbruck (INN)
08:45 BA392 Brussels (BRU)
08:55 BA860 Prague (PRG)
09:25 BA1442 Edinburgh (EDI)
09:50 BA1326 Newcastle (NCL)
10:00 BA1482 Glasgow (GLA)
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
many thanks! I have receive a later email, a copy of the one issued a week ago about travel disruption and having to fit people in the middle row of Club Europe. As I do not have access to online check-in, I have looked of FE latest seat map, and it show the three seats, it was reduced from 5 to 4 rows, but only really the 4th row has the three available seats (all others middle seats are still blocked..
I don't know if anyone has got any response to complaints about use of middle seats last weekend, and whether BA have given anything or merely sent out the standard "go swivel" response.

Certainly if you do get people in the middle seat in your row I would recommend complaining as you are not getting what you paid for.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Bobbex
I could not disagree more in my case as the major benefit to the airline seems to be their ability to sell the middle CE seats for just shy of a thousand pounds each on my route. I understand that there are numerous instances of people being stranded but they are still selling tickets in both cabins for my departure and the morning departure today. This appears to be a money grab. I quite literally only booked a CE seat for the empty middle seat as I didn't want to sit next to anyone. The food definitely isn't worth the price difference. If I had simply wanted more leg room I would have booked an exit row seat. Absolutely pathetic.

Bob
The reason seats are on sale is that they need to be so that there is availability to rebook disrupted passengers into. If availability is zeroed out, the agents won’t be able to move anyone to those flights or have an idea of what is available.
Tobias-UK and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes so I think the standard way to do that is usually zero out everything other than the most expensive J and Y selling classes so that the public are not tempted to book due to the high price, but agents can use them for free involuntary rebookings.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
Ah. Now they have auto rebooked me onto the next one that doesn’t work for me with a note to call BAH if that doesn’t suit. I can’t do that as I’m 90 mins out in the air on my return leg. (Uvf-Lhr-man). How best to get my bags? Should I go to flight connections and find someone there and say I don’t want it - or take the exit stream and find someone in the baggage hall?
If you don't hold a boarding pass for MAN, and one isn't showing in the App, then your luggage won't be reassigned to that flight. If you have been checked in remotely then your bags will provisionally be marked for the MAN service, but won't be loaded until you enter T5 departures area after Flight Connections. Your best bet is to exit via the UK Border and ask the BA Baggage agents to locate and return your bags to T5. If it's busy and the usual Sunday shortage of staff applies, then fill in the baggage claim form online and the bags will be sent on to the address you provide in the next 3 to 7 days.
plunet likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by binman
My wife and I booked SZG LHR today in club. BA cancelled in wee small hours which I noted at 0600 as needed the loo!!!!
Rebooked same route, but later flight on the app and this was cancelled while on train to SZG. BA rebooked for MUC LHR on Sunday but I was able to book on separate PNR SZG SOU at s as cost of €508
on arrival at SGB BA desks remarkably quiet and I was checked in 4 hours in advance. They said the would have rebooked me but in light of news I did not wish to wait until the airport to confirm seats.
my claim will be for €508 flights £209 taxi and EU261 compensation for cancellation and downgrade.
it’s a shambles but given events not far from here it needs to be in perspective
Got home just after 8pm last night, about 3 hours later than expected. Not bad when two flights had been cancelled and a reroute was involved.

I appreciate I am very lucky being able to pay for new flights and £200 cab fares, but the reality is, you are on your own and whenever possible you need to take matters into your own hands.

(Was very impressed by BA city flyer. Comfy seats, drinks and great crew in economy!!)

Lufthansa group airlines closed off same day bookings from SZG MUC and VIE very quickly as well as other German and Swiss cities but situation not helped by the lack of capacity from places such as FRA and VIE

If I had acted sooner I’d have got back to LHR on another carrier albeit for well in excess of £1,100 and a night stop. I even looked at taking the train back but the last Euro star from Paris Nord didn’t connect with anything from my part of Europe which all
arrived in Paris East.

BA will be hurt financially by this. My costs alone were over £700 and another €500 in compensation. Don’t suppose I can claim the compensation for both cancellations?!

Above all, a rubbish end to great week of skiing and again it will be the memory of BAs shambles, that which will linger.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
Here's the first 22 flights cancelled so far today, they only seem to go up as far as 10am at the moment so I wonder if there are going to be any more...

06:05 BA472 Barcelona (BCN)
06:10 BA2748 Geneva (GVA)
06:25 BA2576 Turin (TRN)
06:55 BA724 Geneva (GVA)
07:15 BA762 Oslo (OSL)
07:15 BA564 Milan (LIN)
07:15 BA2652 Salzburg (SZG)
07:45 BA772 Zurich (ZRH)
07:45 BA1370 Manchester (MAN)
08:20 BA880 Moscow (DME)
08:20 BA1450 Edinburgh (EDI)
08:30 BA1372 Manchester (MAN)
08:35 BA2690 Innsbruck (INN)
08:45 BA392 Brussels (BRU)
08:55 BA860 Prague (PRG)
09:25 BA1442 Edinburgh (EDI)
09:50 BA1326 Newcastle (NCL)
10:00 BA1482 Glasgow (GLA)
so almost everything domestically sacrificed again.

but I don’t understand the thinking that takes out the ski routes at the end of a half term holiday.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
The reason seats are on sale is that they need to be so that there is availability to rebook disrupted passengers into. If availability is zeroed out, the agents won’t be able to move anyone to those flights or have an idea of what is available.
Thanks for the explanation. I was unaware of this.

Bob
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.