Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a reasonable chance to fix things for you before you take matters into your own hands.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If BA have given you a rebooking on the same day for a short-haul (typically up to about 4 hours flight time), previous cases submitted for judgement by 3rd parties have considered this remedy reasonable, so arranging your own transport in this situation is not advised. However a rebooking on the same day might still not meet your needs (ie. not being able to get there by a specific time resulted in your trip being in vain) so you can still not travel.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.

If you were booked on a return or multi-segment jorney, and your outbound or earlier flight in your sequence is disrupted but you make your own way to your destination, you will need to contact BA to let them know this, and to protect the other flights in your ticket. By default if you no-show for a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket get auto-cancelled. In the situation where there is significant disruption this could mean that your seat is released without your knowledge to another disrupted passenger, so there is an onus on you to communicate your intentions to BA as soon as possible for them to protect your onward flights, and it probably means a phone call as you can't expect a timely response from social media channels.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

Ł25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

Signposting some specific posts in the thread
#45 - for a list of flights that were observed to be cancelled
#162 - for a photo of the BA customer letter that was handed out later on Saturday

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Qantas Plat, IHG Spire Elite
Hi all, not as big a problem as the souls who have had their flights cancelled but have a slightly different problem here, I

I have an e voucher which I want to use to book a multi city itinerary. I can't do this on the website (a known problem for multi city apparently) and obviously I can't call up to book - been trying since Tuesday. If I book the 2 returns separately the price is Ł1645 as opposed to the multi city at Ł1054 for the 3 of us. My concern is the price will start to rise as we get closer the the initial flight on the 3rd April which isn't great

Any suggestion on how to book before pricing rise would be appreciated

thanks
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Booking on tomorrow’s BA1481 GLA-LHR 16:35

Would you recommend getting an easyJet booking and cancelling to voucher (obv last minute in case BA cancel first) ? Are domestics usually last to settle down?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:16 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Was going to take BA2761 from Amsterdam transferring onto BA189 to Newark but woke up to the news at 8, rushed to Schipol to get myself onto the City flight or AA to Dallas but no luck... only check-in agents were avaliable without sales / BA staff. I guess I will just go back to work with tail between legs tomorrow.

This just reminds me of the post last week when an FTer had booked LH to JNB to avoid any way BA can once again let us down. Having been a BA loyal for years I do feel the same now... perhaps still 250k avios to go through before we part ways.
StanStorby and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
I was on an LHR-MAN but it got cancelled. They offered to rebook me onto LCY-MAN but I won’t be able to easily get there so I’ve booked a train ticket instead. Would I still be eligible for EU261? Or would BA cover the cost of the train?
Yes you can claim compensation, and yes put in an expense claim for your train ticket.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
….and don’t forget, next week we might get the Do&Co strike that’ll affect all BA flights, never a dull moment
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:24 am

I was due to fly BA1445 EDI-LHR this morning, and return tomorrow on BA1438. I couldn't get through to anybody on the phone, and am now on a train to London as I can't miss the event I have this evening. I presume BA will pay for my Ł138 train ticket, right? And how can I ensure my return is protected? Also, are we entitled to compensation? I'll be arriving in London 1.5 hours later than originally scheduled, so I presume I should get Ł110?

Edit: I see KARFA says train and compensation are covered. What about the inbound flight?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
I was due to fly BA1445 EDI-LHR this morning, and return tomorrow on BA1438. I couldn't get through to anybody on the phone, and am now on a train to London as I can't miss the event I have this evening. I presume BA will pay for my Ł138 train ticket, right? And how can I ensure my return is protected? Also, are we entitled to compensation? I'll be arriving in London 1.5 hours later than originally scheduled, so I presume I should get Ł110?

Edit: I see KARFA says train and compensation are covered. What about the inbound flight?
Yes, same as above re compensation & expenses.

You will need to call BA at some point to get the trip reissued as LHR-EDI I believe.
flyertalker0013223 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by iwanm
Hi all, not as big a problem as the souls who have had their flights cancelled but have a slightly different problem here, I

I have an e voucher which I want to use to book a multi city itinerary. I can't do this on the website (a known problem for multi city apparently) and obviously I can't call up to book - been trying since Tuesday. If I book the 2 returns separately the price is Ł1645 as opposed to the multi city at Ł1054 for the 3 of us. My concern is the price will start to rise as we get closer the the initial flight on the 3rd April which isn't great
Given the longevity of the e-Voucher, my tactical approach would be to not use the eVoucher here and keep it for another trip, assuming you can do so. Equally I think this can wait a week, if you can't book, nor can others, so the price won't rise.
iwanm, wrp96, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
You will need to call BA at some point to get the trip reissued as LHR-EDI I believe.
Yay spending the 5.5 hour train journey on the phone trying to get through to BA...
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Would you recommend getting an easyJet booking and cancelling to voucher (obv last minute in case BA cancel first) ? Are domestics usually last to settle down?

Hi

In the past I belive domestics have been amongst the first to be cancelled ( maybe not all of them). These days I would say it is more likely for cancellations.

Regards

Tbs
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tosaerba24

BA tend to be a bit vague about rebooking on trains, but if there is no realistic option they do pay train fares. If you were able to get through to BA, BA can rebook on to LNER services too. But in your case you should be OK to get a refund on the train costs and compensation, but you won't get a refund on the flight. If the flight is cancelled then you could have a full cash refund and potentially compensation (I can't see BA being able to wriggle out of that unless it is a cyber attack), then self pay the rail fare from that, so they are the two options here.

I would plan on returning by rail too.
wrp96, KARFA and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:34 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
My first thought: why airlines that have this very basic Altea package (both Air and Res) like LO, A3 and TP never have any issues. Only airlines that try to customize and have sophisticated systems have these IT failures.

On lot.com you can do a lot of basic thinks (including voucher redemption), they have Theoreticalish Seating that always works for me and it is like Fort T - old, but will will eventually get you where you want to get...

Time for Sean to rethink IT strategy?
flyertalker0013223 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly

My guess is that BA will make a decision on tomorrow's short haul around 3pm today. There will have to be cancellations and usually the domestic services get gutted first. If the reason for your travel has to be assured more than anything else, then moving to easyJet now would be a sensible idea for many people, but in doing that you remove yourself from BA's options.
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA tend to be a bit vague about rebooking on trains, but if there is no realistic option they do pay train fares. If you were able to get through to BA, BA can rebook on to LNER services too. But in your case you should be OK to get a refund on the train costs and compensation, but you won't get a refund on the flight. If the flight is cancelled then you could have a full cash refund and potentially compensation (I can't see BA being able to wriggle out of that unless it is a cyber attack), then self pay the rail fare from that, so they are the two options here.

I would plan on returning by rail too.
Impossible to get through to anybody--"We won't be able to take your call today." And when trying to rebook, there are no flights available... I've had to pay for my train ticket already (Avanti West Coast as LNER was full), because I need to be in London by this afternoon. I'm planning on spending the whole journey on the phone. I'd rather still try to fly tomorrow, but we'll see.
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Just an update. More flight get cancelled in about 5 min ago. My LIS-LHR (15:55) got cancelled as the 12:00 LHR-LIS.
The last flight still looking good but no seats. I managed to get on a Monday one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.