Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a reasonable chance to fix things for you before you take matters into your own hands.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If BA have given you a rebooking on the same day for a short-haul (typically up to about 4 hours flight time), previous cases submitted for judgement by 3rd parties have considered this remedy reasonable, so arranging your own transport in this situation is not advised. However a rebooking on the same day might still not meet your needs (ie. not being able to get there by a specific time resulted in your trip being in vain) so you can still not travel.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.

If you were booked on a return or multi-segment jorney, and your outbound or earlier flight in your sequence is disrupted but you make your own way to your destination, you will need to contact BA to let them know this, and to protect the other flights in your ticket. By default if you no-show for a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket get auto-cancelled. In the situation where there is significant disruption this could mean that your seat is released without your knowledge to another disrupted passenger, so there is an onus on you to communicate your intentions to BA as soon as possible for them to protect your onward flights, and it probably means a phone call as you can't expect a timely response from social media channels.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

£25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
£200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
£50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

Signposting some specific posts in the thread
#45 - for a list of flights that were observed to be cancelled
#162 - for a photo of the BA customer letter that was handed out later on Saturday

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
I have a sense that BA could have been hacked and their IT systems disabled with malicious intent, by Russia-based cyberhackers in retaliation for the UK Government banning all Russian airlines from UK airspace. At one time I would have scoffed at this, but now thinking this is not so far fetched.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Datapoint for LHR-IST

BA cancelled LHR-IST @ 1625

Successful rebooking on Turkish in Business.
alex67500, KARFA and marconess like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
My wife and I booked SZG LHR today in club. BA cancelled in wee small hours which I noted at 0600 as needed the loo!!!!
Rebooked same route, but later flight on the app and this was cancelled while on train to SZG. BA rebooked for MUC LHR on Sunday but I was able to book on separate PNR SZG SOU at s as cost of €508
on arrival at SGB BA desks remarkably quiet and I was checked in 4 hours in advance. They said the would have rebooked me but in light of news I did not wish to wait until the airport to confirm seats.
my claim will be for €508 flights £209 taxi and EU261 compensation for cancellation and downgrade.
it’s a shambles but given events not far from here it needs to be in perspective
bcjbsw3 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Due to fly back to LHR tomorrow, departure from Nap 13:30, there was no option to upload the PLF yesterday/this morning nor to change the seat. Tried to check-in Online at few minutes after t-24 and got an error message about not been able to check my Covid documents thus needed to check - in at the airport. Checked again Manage my booking and got a bold red warning:

Potential service disruption may affect your journey. You can change your flights in advance for free and we’ll cover any fare difference.

So that you can better manage your travel plans you have the following options:
  • You don’t have to do anything, you can keep your booking as it is.
  • You can change to another flight for free.
  • If you wish to cancel your booking a refund will only apply if your fare rules allow it, please contact us to do this.
Just wondering how likely I am to travel tomorrow (I have some in office meetings on Monday)….

Last edited by marcopizzaiuolo; Feb 26, 2022 at 8:59 am
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
Due to fly back to LHR tomorrow, departure from Nap 13:30, there was no option to upload the PLF yesterday/this morning nor to change the seat. Tried to check-in Online at few minutes after t-24 and got an error message about not been able to check my Covid documents thus needed to check - in at the airport. Checked again Manager my booking and got a bold red warning:

Potential service disruption may affect your journey. You can change your flights in advance for free and we’ll cover any fare difference.

• If you wish to cancel your booking a refund will only apply if your fare rules allow it, please contact us to do this.
Just wondering how likely I am to travel tomorrow (I have some in office meetings on Monday)….
That's difficult to predict. Have a look at other options tomorrow - perhaps it may be worth your while booking another airline and then getting a FTV for your BA one so use that towards a future trip. If you go for the FTV leave it until close to the flight to request as it may be get cancelled which will let you get compensation and refund instead.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by plunet
Just had a quick look at LCY and I can't see any cancellations although two flights are reporting status "Unknown" on FlightRadar departures.
Four flights were delayed by more an hour. Obviously annoying for those concerned but not a complete disaster.

07:00 BA2281 Geneva (GVA) British Airways E190 (G-LCAE) Departed 08:51
07:05 BA8479 Salzburg (SZG) British Airways E190 (G-LCYP) Departed 08:01
07:05 BA3279 Florence (FLR) British Airways E190 (G-LCAB) Departed 08:33
07:35 BA8763 Zurich (ZRH) British Airways E190 (G-LCYK) Departed 09:11
07:55 BA8497 Amsterdam (AMS) British Airways E190 (G-LCYV) Unknown
08:15 BA8702 Edinburgh (EDI) British Airways E90 Unknown

Also glanced at LGW and for the handful of flights leaving there, some are getting out on time, and where there is a delay its up to about an hour. Cancun actually left 17m early!
Interesting U2 seem to have having a few operational issues there this morning, there's a dose of amber and red on some but by no means all of their flights.
No cancellations at LCY. Although check in queues were very large this morning, delayes were also caused by ATC restrictions/airspace congestion.
wrp96, KARFA and plunet like this.

Last edited by EJetter; Feb 26, 2022 at 9:18 am
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So are there different/separate systems for LCY and LGW? Some sort of legacy leftover? And presumably a backup system does not exist?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Travelling tomorrow on BA ticket but IB metal from Madrid. Have IB been affected badly into T5 today?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by plunet
Just had a quick look at LCY and I can't see any cancellations although two flights are reporting status "Unknown" on FlightRadar departures.
Four flights were delayed by more an hour. Obviously annoying for those concerned but not a complete disaster.

07:00 BA2281 Geneva (GVA) British Airways E190 (G-LCAE) Departed 08:51
07:05 BA8479 Salzburg (SZG) British Airways E190 (G-LCYP) Departed 08:01
07:05 BA3279 Florence (FLR) British Airways E190 (G-LCAB) Departed 08:33
07:35 BA8763 Zurich (ZRH) British Airways E190 (G-LCYK) Departed 09:11
07:55 BA8497 Amsterdam (AMS) British Airways E190 (G-LCYV) Unknown
08:15 BA8702 Edinburgh (EDI) British Airways E90 Unknown

Also glanced at LGW and for the handful of flights leaving there, some are getting out on time, and where there is a delay its up to about an hour. Cancun actually left 17m early!
Interesting U2 seem to have having a few operational issues there this morning, there's a dose of amber and red on some but by no means all of their flights.
No cancellations at LCY today. Although check in queues were very long this morning, there were also quite a few ATC restrictions. The last flight out was to Manchester, arriving 25 minutes early!
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by yabadoo
I have a sense that BA could have been hacked and their IT systems disabled with malicious intent, by Russia-based cyberhackers in retaliation for the UK Government banning all Russian airlines from UK airspace. At one time I would have scoffed at this, but now thinking this is not so far fetched.
If this was the case I’d have thought it would be in BA’s interests to make it known - deflect anger away from the airline to the source of the disruption
binman and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by yabadoo
no hack, just usual BA IT incompetence.

I know people at BA IT and it’s not a surprise that this happens
boss315 and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So are there different/separate systems for LCY and LGW? Some sort of legacy leftover? And presumably a backup system does not exist?
CityFlyer uses a different rostering system to mainline BA, run on a third-party server, meaning no aircraft and crews out of place. Gate allocations are handled by the airport.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Not sure about LCY but at LGW I think it’s in one of the threads on here somewhere that legacy staff at LGW knew the manual back up system so it wasn’t really a problem for them.
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
Due to fly back to LHR tomorrow, departure from Nap 13:30, there was no option to upload the PLF yesterday/this morning nor to change the seat. Tried to check-in Online at few minutes after t-24 and got an error message about not been able to check my Covid documents thus needed to check - in at the airport. Checked again Manage my booking and got a bold red warning:

I don't think you can put too much stock in that message as it's generic one. Had the same thing flying out to MLA on Monday and the flight was on time. Not to say you will be fine also, but it doesn't mean anything specific to your flight.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:35 am

Lhr - bud cancelled tonight,
asked to be re routed on qatar via doha
(only available one world option)
was told no partnership which i nearly laughed at, or was it a no go due to flying to another continent and back?
finnair was already full tonight

took ba’s £200 hotel offer at heathrow instead and flying tomorrow now
SxMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.