Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a reasonable chance to fix things for you before you take matters into your own hands.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If BA have given you a rebooking on the same day for a short-haul (typically up to about 4 hours flight time), previous cases submitted for judgement by 3rd parties have considered this remedy reasonable, so arranging your own transport in this situation is not advised. However a rebooking on the same day might still not meet your needs (ie. not being able to get there by a specific time resulted in your trip being in vain) so you can still not travel.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.

If you were booked on a return or multi-segment jorney, and your outbound or earlier flight in your sequence is disrupted but you make your own way to your destination, you will need to contact BA to let them know this, and to protect the other flights in your ticket. By default if you no-show for a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket get auto-cancelled. In the situation where there is significant disruption this could mean that your seat is released without your knowledge to another disrupted passenger, so there is an onus on you to communicate your intentions to BA as soon as possible for them to protect your onward flights, and it probably means a phone call as you can't expect a timely response from social media channels.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

Ł25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

Signposting some specific posts in the thread
#45 - for a list of flights that were observed to be cancelled
#162 - for a photo of the BA customer letter that was handed out later on Saturday

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Krisz
787-8 and 787-9 has less seats then a fully configured A321. Also BA doesn’t have the number of planes nor the crew. A321 using less than half the crew then a 787. It is just not possible to use 777 when BA has a system wide issue. If only one route would be the problem then yes they could do something like that.
My point is did they send a fully crewed 777 to the US and cancel a Tenerife return stranding 150 members of families trying to get home for school. Could they have swapped and rebooked the US passengers onto the many transatlantic flights yesterday

Appreciate it isn't always so simple - can TFS service a 777 etc but just trying to think how BA could have been a little creative on such a key date for travel
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Latest Tweet from BA on the issue:

T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Not sure that I hugely want to but the point is that Art 29 of the Convention excludes actions in damages (whether in contract, tort or otherwise) other than under the conditions of the Convention. One would have to be careful before assuming that an action founded on the CRA 2015 would be available in this context if it did not comply with the Convention.
The CRA seems to describe the 'right to price reduction' as entirely distinct from 'damages' - with the reduction being by an 'appropriate amount' (and not explicitly tied to any losses). It's clearly possible to work around the Montreal Convention (obviously EC 261 does this), and I wonder whether a case like this will get heard and what the outcome will be.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cauchy
The CRA seems to describe the 'right to price reduction' as entirely distinct from 'damages' - with the reduction being by an 'appropriate amount' (and not explicitly tied to any losses). It's clearly possible to work around the Montreal Convention (obviously EC 261 does this), and I wonder whether a case like this will get heard and what the outcome will be.
AFAIK, this has not been tested in the courts and I would not want to pre-judge the outcome of a dispute on this. I know that this kind of line has been taken by the ECJ to carve Reg 261/2004 out of the scope of Montreal exclusivity in the IATA case but aviation lawyers have generally been very critical of this and UK courts have, to date, tended to be very deferential to the Montreal (or, before it, Warsaw) Convention. As I said, it is anything but straightforward and this strikes me as one for professional legal advice.
orbitmic and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
T5 is busy with BA lines appearing to move very slowly. Long line for First Wing all the way to the terminal door, but if you just need to get through security it’s a 3min wait for the scanner. Here in GF it’s not much busier than usual for a weekday, but I guess Sunday mornings might usually be a bit quieter?

People at the terminal doors stopping anyone without a flight within a suitable time (and that time is at least 4 hours out).
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If your partner is allowed to enter the UK, you would go to a hotel and claim that from BA. Maybe there is more to the question?
Maybe I was not elaborate enough, apologies - the scenario is that we would have a legal, same-day transit via LHR to a Schengen country, thus not having a UK visa for her. Hence, wondering what would happen in the scenario where cancellations would cause an over-night stay.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Maybe I was not elaborate enough, apologies - the scenario is that we would have a legal, same-day transit via LHR to a Schengen country, thus not having a UK visa for her. Hence, wondering what would happen in the scenario where cancellations would cause an over-night stay.
The UK Border Force has the discretion to admit people under various criteria, including transport disruption, and they will also be (painfully) aware of BA's shortcomings. T5 also closes at night and the BF don't like people camping out in their area. So depending on the specifics I wouldn't expect a problem here, so long as the BF is satisfied that they will leave the UK at the earliest sensible opportunity.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
17:20 BA322 to CDG just got cancelled, little under 4h before departure. I rather need to make a 10am meeting in Paris tomorrow then an evening flight from Orly (separate booking) - am I best to go to T5 and seek an Air France option, or just buy a Eurostar ticket and try claiming later?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by DocWatson
17:20 BA322 to CDG just got cancelled, little under 4h before departure. I rather need to make a 10am meeting in Paris tomorrow then an evening flight from Orly (separate booking) - am I best to go to T5 and seek an Air France option, or just buy a Eurostar ticket and try claiming later?
Best thing is to call now and ask for a specific flight that works for you, as you need to show due diligence in getting BA to rebook you.

If they refuse then buy your own ticket (air or train) and claim it back. Be prepared as you may have to MCOL it.
DocWatson likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by mario
Best thing is to call now and ask for a specific flight that works for you, as you need to show due diligence in getting BA to rebook you.
I assume 5-6 attempts to call where they hang up is sufficient...?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
It would be in my books, but YMMV
Old Feb 27, 2022, 7:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes. Screenshot your call log and make your own arrangement.
DocWatson likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Currently sat in the Glasgow lounge, flight cancelled. Thoughts on being reimbursed for the sleeper service down? Have a separate booking for LHR-ARN tomorrow too… Have tried calling three times to no avail and airport say earliest is 4pm flight tomorrow!
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Currently sat in the Glasgow lounge, flight cancelled. Thoughts on being reimbursed for the sleeper service down? Have a separate booking for LHR-ARN tomorrow too… Have tried calling three times to no avail and airport say earliest is 4pm flight tomorrow!
That is probably what I would do, or rebook with easyJet. The repayment isn't 100% assured but BA appear to have run out of options here. The fact ARN is on a separate ticket reduces your leverage here a bit.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My flight arrived ok today (only 30 minutes late) but expect a fairly chaotic T5 experience if you are travelling in: long wait for jetty, transit looked packed (I was using the tunnel as always when arriving at B gates but it was busier than I’ve ever seen), immigration queues resembling the home office computer bug days, packed luggage hall.
adrianlondon and crazy8534 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.