Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a reasonable chance to fix things for you before you take matters into your own hands.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If BA have given you a rebooking on the same day for a short-haul (typically up to about 4 hours flight time), previous cases submitted for judgement by 3rd parties have considered this remedy reasonable, so arranging your own transport in this situation is not advised. However a rebooking on the same day might still not meet your needs (ie. not being able to get there by a specific time resulted in your trip being in vain) so you can still not travel.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.

If you were booked on a return or multi-segment jorney, and your outbound or earlier flight in your sequence is disrupted but you make your own way to your destination, you will need to contact BA to let them know this, and to protect the other flights in your ticket. By default if you no-show for a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket get auto-cancelled. In the situation where there is significant disruption this could mean that your seat is released without your knowledge to another disrupted passenger, so there is an onus on you to communicate your intentions to BA as soon as possible for them to protect your onward flights, and it probably means a phone call as you can't expect a timely response from social media channels.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

£25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
£200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
£50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

Signposting some specific posts in the thread
#45 - for a list of flights that were observed to be cancelled
#162 - for a photo of the BA customer letter that was handed out later on Saturday

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by binman
so almost everything domestically sacrificed again.

but I don’t understand the thinking that takes out the ski routes at the end of a half term holiday.
No, nor places like Tenerife yesterday which will not be easy to get back from - I flew back from Alicante yesterday which has been very quiet for months and it was a zoo, nearly all Brits, Easyjet were sold out all weekend pretty much.

Appreciate that logistically it is better for a quicker recovery to protect long haul but I wonder if there weren't enough seats on other carriers to instead cancel some transatlantic, send the 777/787 on family heavy ski / sun flights instead
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you don't hold a boarding pass for MAN, and one isn't showing in the App, then your luggage won't be reassigned to that flight. If you have been checked in remotely then your bags will provisionally be marked for the MAN service, but won't be loaded until you enter T5 departures area after Flight Connections. Your best bet is to exit via the UK Border and ask the BA Baggage agents to locate and return your bags to T5. If it's busy and the usual Sunday shortage of staff applies, then fill in the baggage claim form online and the bags will be sent on to the address you provide in the next 3 to 7 days.
Thanks - that’s exactly what I decided to do. I did ask in the baggage hall and they said no chance, just go home and file online. Am trying to do so in the taxi as I type but it doesn’t seem to move on from the first stage. Will reattempt from my desk PC at home. Should I worry that I didn’t do a customs form but the online website says I should have done? (The agent didn’t tell me that)
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sammyg901
No, nor places like Tenerife yesterday which will not be easy to get back from - I flew back from Alicante yesterday which has been very quiet for months and it was a zoo, nearly all Brits, Easyjet were sold out all weekend pretty much.

Appreciate that logistically it is better for a quicker recovery to protect long haul but I wonder if there weren't enough seats on other carriers to instead cancel some transatlantic, send the 777/787 on family heavy ski / sun flights instead
787-8 and 787-9 has less seats then a fully configured A321. Also BA doesn’t have the number of planes nor the crew. A321 using less than half the crew then a 787. It is just not possible to use 777 when BA has a system wide issue. If only one route would be the problem then yes they could do something like that.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:06 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
Certainly if you do get people in the middle seat in your row I would recommend complaining as you are not getting what you paid for.
You'd have to hope BA don't quibble and come back with something sensible given this is now entirely of their own making. If they don't play ball, this becomes contractual rather than an EC261 claim. Fortunately the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is a very powerful piece of contract legislation, and certainly any airline would not like any sort of judgment set against it should this come before a court.

Obviously the priority is for those seeking rebooking assistance, hence this thread, but once this is over and flights have been taken I'm sure the community will be able to provide further advice as the thread evolves.
marcopizzaiuolo and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Krisz
787-8 and 787-9 has less seats then a fully configured A321. Also BA doesn’t have the number of planes nor the crew. A321 using less than half the crew then a 787. It is just not possible to use 777 when BA has a system wide issue. If only one route would be the problem then yes they could do something like that.
BA sent a 777 to GVA the other weekend. I forget the reason it may have been the storms but they can when it suits.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
Thanks - that’s exactly what I decided to do. I did ask in the baggage hall and they said no chance, just go home and file online. Am trying to do so in the taxi as I type but it doesn’t seem to move on from the first stage. Will reattempt from my desk PC at home. Should I worry that I didn’t do a customs form but the online website says I should have done? (The agent didn’t tell me that)
I suspect that HMRC are going to have to be relaxed about that, but here is the form:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...on_version.pdf

and you email it to
[email protected]
(I am very interested to hear of people's experience of using this email address).

I've mentioned elsewhere that it's best to do the baggage form from a PC with a stable internet connection.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...missingbaggage
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
What happens in the event where a non-EU/UK citizen gets caught up in a situation like this having to connect from long-haul to short-haul (Schengen destination), and cancellations will cause the need for an over-night transit?

Asking as we may be caught up in that soon, given the way things tend to change like the wind (I am an EU citizen but my partner is not)
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
If they don't play ball, this becomes contractual rather than an EC261 claim. Fortunately the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is a very powerful piece of contract legislation
I would suggest caution here, in the light of the Montreal Convention. This is one for professional legal advice rather than DIY.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
I would suggest caution here, in the light of the Montreal Convention. This is one for professional legal advice rather than DIY.
Could you elaborate with regards to Montreal Convention and use of middle seats in CE?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
What happens in the event where a non-EU/UK citizen gets caught up in a situation like this having to connect from long-haul to short-haul (Schengen destination), and cancellations will cause the need for an over-night transit?

Asking as we may be caught up in that soon, given the way things tend to change like the wind (I am an EU citizen but my partner is not)
If your partner is allowed to enter the UK, you would go to a hotel and claim that from BA. Maybe there is more to the question?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by plunet
Here's the first 22 flights cancelled so far today, they only seem to go up as far as 10am at the moment so I wonder if there are going to be any more...

06:05 BA472 Barcelona (BCN)
06:10 BA2748 Geneva (GVA)
06:25 BA2576 Turin (TRN)
06:55 BA724 Geneva (GVA)
07:15 BA762 Oslo (OSL)
07:15 BA564 Milan (LIN)
07:15 BA2652 Salzburg (SZG)
07:20 BA2770 Jersey (JER)
07:25 BA1324 Newcastle (NCL)
07:20 BA2770 Jersey (JER)
07:25 BA1324 Newcastle (NCL)
07:45 BA772 Zurich (ZRH)
07:45 BA1370 Manchester (MAN)
08:20 BA880 Moscow (DME)
08:20 BA1450 Edinburgh (EDI)
08:30 BA1372 Manchester (MAN)
08:35 BA2690 Innsbruck (INN)
08:45 BA392 Brussels (BRU)
08:55 BA860 Prague (PRG)
09:25 BA1442 Edinburgh (EDI)
09:50 BA1326 Newcastle (NCL)
10:00 BA1482 Glasgow (GLA)
Hopefully they're done with cancellations now, nothing further showing up for me, and aside from a handful of delayed departures predicted (which may improve) it looks like they've got through the worst of it. At least there's the bonus of good weather this weekend at LHR.

A torrid time for anyone caught up in the mayhem, especially for the many families on half-term breaks, some of whom will have no doubt had any other travel plans disrupted over the past couple of years, and who will no doubt remember this debacle for some time to come. We need to remember that many do not have the benefit of the experience of some on this forum as frequent travellers.

Whilst the 2017 IT Outage was longer lasting and had a greater impact, by comparison I don't think we have had many newbies finding the forum as a source of advice and counsel yet.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Could you elaborate with regards to Montreal Convention and use of middle seats in CE?
Not sure that I hugely want to but the point is that Art 29 of the Convention excludes actions in damages (whether in contract, tort or otherwise) other than under the conditions of the Convention. One would have to be careful before assuming that an action founded on the CRA 2015 would be available in this context if it did not comply with the Convention.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: BA GGL. Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
The irony.. after a 19 hour delay from Turin on Friday night (which I appreciate is probably a good result compared to other people) I got this email from BA: A very warm welcome home, Thank you for choosing to fly with us on your recent trip to Turin. It was a pleasure to have you back on board once again - after all, it’s you who makes us fly.

We hope your getaway has lifted your spirits and left you with many treasured memories. When the time comes for you to book your next holiday, we’ll be ready and waiting. Rest assured, if your plans change later, so can your booking.

We look forward to seeing you again soon. Until then, thank you for your continued support, it means the world to us.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suspect that HMRC are going to have to be relaxed about that, but here is the form:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...on_version.pdf

and you email it to
[email protected]
(I am very interested to hear of people's experience of using this email address).

I've mentioned elsewhere that it's best to do the baggage form from a PC with a stable internet connection.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...missingbaggage
Once again, thank you. I have got the baggage report submitted now, perversely it only seemed to work when I was NOT logged into my ba.com account. As soon as I logged in it then refused to progress. Just for the hell of it I selected ‘no I do not have a ba.com account’ and then it worked fine.

I’ll report back about submitting the HMRC form by email.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I see the flight to SCL on Friday was delayed by 25 hours and yesterday's flight has suffered the same fate - due out 24 hours later than published. As I fly there later this week I hope this "tardiness" resolves itself and that BA sorts all these issues out (SH and LH).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.