Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2022 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
In all fairness, it is a pretty unique feature of BA that the outstation priority line frequently is the same length as the non-priority line. Someone who has no experience flying BA might find that surprising.
You are indeed correct. It takes incredible organisation for BA outstations to achieve this. They have to ensure that there is only one check-in agent for the priority queue and several for the economy queue, all of whom are carefully trained never to deal with anyone from the priority queue. Finally, it is a condition that everyone in the priority queue ahead of me should either be a large family, with limitless numbers of suitcases, ski equipment, child buggies etc., all of which require last-minute repacking, amid long discussions about what will or wont go in the cabin, be checked at the gate etc; or a series of businesspeople, with complex queries about rebooking an onward connection in First via Zurich.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Gold - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Had half a dozen Americans coming from downstairs to upstairs at the North security decide they were in too much of a hurry to wait.
They showed a boarding pass to the agent at the front who told them to join the "line", going down to the end then back again.

Half way down they got talking to another American in front of us and he invited them to skip under the barrier which they did.

When i protested I just got shouted at.

Pointed this out to the agent when I got forward that they had skipped in front and they were duly taken to one side.

Turns out one of them had lost their boarding pass which I did find rather funny given the circumstances.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by JohannSebastianBach
A couple of years ago, some friends and I were near the front of a long Club / Gold / Silver / Bronze queue for check in at ATH. A man with two huge wheelie cases appeared at the back of the queue and shot along its entire length at huge speed, shouting, Im priority! Wheres the priority lane? Im priority! His velocity was so great that, as he reached the front of the queue, he had no means of braking, and promptly fell over his cases, which crashed to the ground with much noise. As he picked himself up, sweating like Prince Andrew on a dance night, we informed him that this was in fact the priority queue and that he needed to wheel himself back to the start.

Perhaps one should have a little sympathy for him - maybe he was a new bronze member and was genuinely excited to experience priority check-in and naively thought it meant something special. But he was mainly a complete idiot, who thoroughly deserved his walk of shame, as the whole queue laughed at him. I never saw him in the lounge, Club Europe cabin, or indeed ever again.

JSB

Can I just point out that Prince Andrew does not sweat
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Can I just point out that Prince Andrew does not sweat
Can I just point out that I, of course, knew that Prince Andrew allegedly does not sweat, and had judged that he was lying through his teeth (about that and possibly other matters); hence my ironic reference to this in my post. Anyway, I shall now get back to my day job of writing baroque music in the first half of the 18th century. Best wishes, JSB
Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by JohannSebastianBach
Anyway, I shall now get back to my day job of writing baroque music in the first half of the 18th century. Best wishes, JSB
Any chance you can finish your Fugue?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Not a big one, but in my view an inexcusable one. In a third party lounge now, and guy with BA gold card travelling LX Y has made a fuss that he is allowed in because of his BA Gold card "which is Star Alliance". I don't tend to interfere in those cases as I don't think it is my prerogative to do so and haven't (after considering it seriously), but I feel for the poor lady at reception who will get told off when the transaction is ultimately declined by LX and the lounge managers are billed for the stay, and I just don't like cheat, let alone those who try to put psychological pressure on those they try to cheat with.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Not a big one, but in my view an inexcusable one. In a third party lounge now, and guy with BA gold card travelling LX Y has made a fuss that he is allowed in because of his BA Gold card "which is Star Alliance". I don't tend to interfere in those cases as I don't think it is my prerogative to do so and haven't (after considering it seriously), but I feel for the poor lady at reception who will get told off when the transaction is ultimately declined by LX and the lounge managers are billed for the stay, and I just don't like cheat, let alone those who try to put psychological pressure on those they try to cheat with.
Pretty sure there is a large oneworld sign on the BA gold card.. Oh well, once people believe in their own stupidness..
orbitmic and Magnus77 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Erwin10
Pretty sure there is a large oneworld sign on the BA gold card.. Oh well, once people believe in their own stupidness..
And likewise on the digital card in the BA app.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by orbitmic

It seems odd that blaggers are able to succeed with such ropey ploys, unless BA operates a policy aimed at avoiding confrontation at the entry desks. I'd have thought the gate-keepers would have a hotline to management/security to deal with such issues while the miscreant is lounge-side.

It would be harsh in the extreme to bill staff for the cost of an unauthorised visit. If the will for retribution were there, it should be aimed at the perpetrator: they could probably chase it up through Swiss/M&M - though i imagine these things just wash through the system.

There again, maybe the chap was stuck in a time warp. I believe there was a time when the BA lounge at BHX was contracted to welcome Swissair's top-tier QualiFlyers.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It seems odd that blaggers are able to succeed with such ropey ploys, unless BA operates a policy aimed at avoiding confrontation at the entry desks. I'd have thought the gate-keepers would have a hotline to management/security to deal with such issues while the miscreant is lounge-side.
According to the post, the lounge in question was a third party lounge and not a BA one - so that limits their influence.

Sadly, in many situations, people acting like bullies often get their way thanks to their terrible behaviour
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
According to the post, the lounge in question was a third party lounge and not a BA one - so that limits their influence.

Sadly, in many situations, people acting like bullies often get their way thanks to their terrible behaviour
Ah, right: my mistake - i was thinking we were talking T5.

At third-party lounges I imagine all sorts of mistakes happen.

There's a rich and current history of ITA card carriers blagging their way into lounges operated by and for SkyTeam carriers, although ITA is still very far from being a full and active participant in the wider alliance,
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
There's a rich and current history of ITA card carriers blagging their way into lounges operated by and for SkyTeam carriers, although ITA is still very far from being a full and active participant in the wider alliance,
Based off the Skyteam website, ITA are full members and ITA card holders (only looked at Volare) fall under Skyteam Elite Plus.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by GuyWMD
Based off the Skyteam website, ITA are full members and ITA card holders (only looked at Volare) fall under Skyteam Elite Plus.
Indeed, my ITA card in the ITA app has a very prominent Sky Team logo...
alex67500 and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GuyWMD

The belief that the logo on Volare plastic entitles the bearer to SkyTeam status privileges across the alliance network, and that ITA is a full member of, and participant in, SkyTeam is somewhere close to cloud-cuckoo territory.

Sadly the logo means vanishingly little beyond the world of ITA. ITA and Volare (its frequent flyer programme) are not recognised as partner carriers by other SkyTeam members. Those airlines mulling over entering into a deeper financial partnership with ITA have an ad hoc acceptance of Volare members: we're talking AF and KLM, principally at their hubs and occasionally elsewhere. ITA doesn'r generate miles for alliance partners, nor do trips with those partners put miles in your Volare account. You can't use Volare miles to redeem flights on ST member airlines. There's the suggestion that Korean is now a true partner......but who knows?

SkyTeam itself recognises that Volare is a euphemistic work in progress: ITA faces negotiations with each ST member to establish bilateral recognition under the alliance's umbrella. So far progress has been, well, limited . The future of the airline is indeed murky, so potental ST partners are not falling over themselves to align with a carrier that might be a Star affiliate tomorrow, or simply fail.

There are reports that glitches in the system meant that Volare membership numbers were able to be tweaked to generate phantom Alitalia credentials, still recognised by some ST systems. And certainly some members have blagged entry to lounges and other airport benefits on the strength of the logo and their persistence wearing down agents.

This is the best polish the Skyteam website can give to the situation ......

and here's the LoyaltyLobby analysis of the fiasco:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/10/26/...s-one-year-on/
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:55 am

I had a very brief experience as 'lounge dragon' and 'Million dollar door bouncer' back in my days in Heathrow Customer Services and it was an insight in how low so-called grown ups can sink.

I saw all kinds of subterfuges, ranging from the inventive to the utterly miserable, to gain entrance to a lounge. I heard sob stories of breakups and accidents that, somehow, could only be rectified by gaining entry to the lounge and sipping a glass of average champagne. I've had women trying to flirt with me, including one who parked her rather prominent, erm, front bumpers on my desk as if a peep could justify her sauntering in Galleries North, the palace of stale croissants and people on conference calls. Then there were those - and they were legion - who paraded the AA 'Gold' card as something akin to Tolkien's Rings of Power, thus giving them the right to a seat in Galleries B and the first born of any lounge attendant (while, it's worth noting, that card is just a oneworld Ruby). There were those who pretended to be coming in looking for the loo, or so engrossed in a call that they couldn't stop, or the 'I've just gotten out, I'm coming back in' crowd, or those who tried to hide behind a queue of people. Finally there were those who insulted me, said that me and my colleagues were harlots (or words to that extent), effin' bureaucrats, wished us to die and so on.

The pinnacle of this pyramid of human misery happened at the 'million dollar door'. I remember a man - a grown man from someplace, USA, with the backpack adorned by the logo of some software company - going so ballistic at me for not being allowed through the Concorde room door that the security team nearby stopped doing what they were doing and stood by in case he went for it. The abuse was torrential, and the second worst of my life, though over time it got a bit repetitive. Apparently, having to go downstairs and up again (sure an inconvenience) was the pits and, to quote George Bush Sr, an aggression that would not stand. Then he saw the little podium with the 4 faces that you can use to send feedback about something, remember that? You know, the one with the smiley green face, the so-and-so greenish one, the 'meh' amber and the frowny red? Well, he saw that and he pounded that thing. I mean, he properly slammed his meaty feast on the red button while his puffy face went crimson and he screamed "NOT HAPPY" at the top of his lungs. The sad thing was that the little faces were there to provide feedback on the security queue and not me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.