Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help Needed! Where to instead of South Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Family of 5 adults, 2 tweens, a toddler and an infant.

We used 2 x GGL redemptions plus various companion vouchers for 8 x CW flights to CPT across the two flights. Obviously they will come back on a FTV but getting away this Christmas looks pretty hopeless. We have a fairly wide window from 15/12 - 7/1 and can split across two flights. I don't even mind paying cash for some of the tickets. But I'm struggling to find availability to any way hot and a little bit luxurious during that window.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry to hear that. Not being flippant but I'd just stay wherever home is and enjoy Christmas. I'm sure the kids will love it.
jamiel, behuman, SJOGuy and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Riyadh...going there on Saturday myself...

Unusual destination, a great deal to see if you enjoy 4X4 rides in the desert and archaeological stuff with rock carvings that rival Petra...

Beaches down in Jeddah

Worked there for several years...

Chris
Desirees likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:32 pm

Have the same issue, now that flights are banned will BA provide refunds?

Last edited by olouie; Nov 25, 2021 at 6:47 pm
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by olouie
Have the same issue, not that flights are banned will BA provide refunds?
if flights are cancelled then yes you would be entitled to a full refund.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
if flights are cancelled then yes you would be entitled to a full refund.
Thanks looks like the ban is only until hotel quarantine is ready. I wonder what happens to those of us who will transit LHR later in dec. Probably better to look at alternatives as well. Saudi Arabia sounds fun.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks looks like the ban is only until hotel quarantine is ready. I wonder what happens to those of us who will transit LHR later in dec. Probably better to look at alternatives as well. Saudi Arabia sounds fun.
previously arrivals from red list could transit, but I am sure we will get a definitive answer soon.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:18 pm

I appreciate it's controversial and I don't know how I'd feel about it but given your position or it how it might affect your travel insurance but what about still heading to ZA via Mauritius (Comair fly MRU-JNB) then heading back to Mauritius on the way back for 10 days R&R before flying back to the UK? This is assuming Mauritius is still welcoming ZA arrivals given the latest developments. I think the main problem you're going to face regardless to wherever you look at going is getting enough seats for such a large party over peak season at such short notice. Try returning before new year and you might just get lucky - the flights are pretty much zeroed out for returning from anywhere "hot and sunny" after 01JAN for about 10 days. 1-2 seats here or there maybe but for 8 seats, forget it.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 25, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sorry to hear that. Not being flippant but I'd just stay wherever home is and enjoy Christmas. I'm sure the kids will love it.
Hong Kong could be nice at this time of year😀
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:41 pm

Slightly off topic (apologies OP) but wanted to see if anyone could help me with the following!

Currently in SA and the return leg of a 2-4-1 flight in CW has been cancelled. Wanted to see what I should do in terms of the cancelled flight? Can you get half a companion voucher credited? Or should I just rebook for a random date in the future?

Fingers crossed new travel plans mean I get back to the UK eventually. Although not looking forward to potential (hotel) quarantine…
Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe Florida? The weather is great this time of year, nice beaches and similar extremes in wealth among the local population compared to ZA .
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
my worry as well… we are transiting through LHR on the 23rd of Dec
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I immediately adjusted to Buenos Aires for my christmas trip.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I appreciate it's controversial and I don't know how I'd feel about it but given your position or it how it might affect your travel insurance but what about still heading to ZA via Mauritius (Comair fly MRU-JNB) then heading back to Mauritius on the way back for 10 days R&R before flying back to the UK? This is assuming Mauritius is still welcoming ZA arrivals given the latest developments. I think the main problem you're going to face regardless to wherever you look at going is getting enough seats for such a large party over peak season at such short notice. Try returning before new year and you might just get lucky - the flights are pretty much zeroed out for returning from anywhere "hot and sunny" after 01JAN for about 10 days. 1-2 seats here or there maybe but for 8 seats, forget it.
I fear the popularity of Mauritius with South Africans puts it at risk of being added to the red list. I’m due to fly there next week and thinking about changing plans (BA Holidays booking) - don’t fancy risking an additional 2 weeks in Slough on my return…
tgsh2006 and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
I had to scrub a similar family trip to Japan after their 8 November changes turned out to be more restrictive when documented than expected.

I considered Phuket, Florida, Jordan and Mexico but in the end decided t o stay in UK with a mini trip for some of us to Florida for food and sun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.